relicing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• relicing

so you pay extra for your guitar to look like its been to hell and back. so how hard can it be to make your axe look like crap.

no sig.....

Originally posted by asix View Post
    so you pay extra for your guitar to look like its been to hell and back. so how hard can it be to make your axe look like crap.

I hate relicing! I would never pay 1/3rd of what they want
    for a fake "aging" done. It just pisses me off, when i see what
    Fender adds to the cost for this, plus its ALWAYS overdone!

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Burns View Post
      I hate relicing! I would never pay 1/3rd of what they want
      for a fake "aging" done. It just pisses me off, when i see what
      Fender adds to the cost for this, plus its ALWAYS overdone!
      +1 There are a lot of opinions to relicing, but to me it's stupid to do that to a new guitar. Having owed many guitars over the last 44 years of playing, if one of mine got worn from the road, I would refinish it to look like new again. The whole vintage thing hit in the early 80's and really jump started the whole craze. I just don't get it. I still panic if I get a ding or a scratch on my guitars. Some people want new guitars to look old and some of the relicing doesn't look very good, unless it's done by somebody by the name of Murphy.
      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Whenever I search for Fenders on eBay, I always add "-relic" to the search phrase.

Comment

Honestly, I think it has gone far beyond where it would and should have gone.
          They are everywhere and A LOT of manufacturers are getting (and have) into the mix; Gibson, ESP, Suhr, etc.

However, there is something cool on some of them. Like a Closet Classic (FMIC acronym) where it give you a vibe of a time gone by and you surely don't fret on putting a new dent or scratch. The bare neck on most of the relics takes away that sticky feel of new lacquered axes.

To each its own. Overdone and exposed- YES but I wouldn't go calling any buyers fools or idiots. I reserve that right for dudes shelling out $20,000 on a black beat to hell Strat or $25,000 on a Stripped mutt Strat with one humbucker a drilled thru penny holding a FR.
          Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

The relic thing has definitely gone overboard. If it's an old guitar that's been through hell and played a lot, then it's fine, but deliberately doing it to a new guitar is dumb.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I'm relicing all mine myself..been working on them for a few years onstage etc, and not much luck, still not one damn ding or chip..grrrr..this is going to take awhile

Comment

You would be surprised how much people pay for this service.I was a guitar tech at rsguitarworks for a while and I would see new $5000 Gibson historics come in the get stripped and refined in the correct original color and bursts and then get the relic treatment.
                I never thought much about it before I worked there but there is a lot of work involved getting the color and the fades just right it is a true art and RS is the very best at doing this they eclipse Tom Murphy and Fender custom shop.I've seen em' all and they kick ass.
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

My 10c is that the relic look is one advantage to the nitro finish guitars. Urethane/polyester finishes just tend to chip and look like shit over time.

Comment

I don't like it if I put a tiny ding in any of my guitars let alone paying extra for someone else to do it. OTOH, this gives me an idea next time I want to get rid of a used car. I'm going to advertise it as "relic'd"
                    Rudy
                    www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
                      I don't like it if I put a tiny ding in any of my guitars let alone paying extra for someone else to do it. OTOH, this gives me an idea next time I want to get rid of a used car. I'm going to advertise it as "relic'd"
                      Haha, yeah right. I wish cars increased in value with abuse.

Comment

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

This must be the stupidest thing ever! I am sorry for that gibson les paul.

Comment

Thats a Jap Gibson so no worries its not the real thing.Never let a 12 year old loose with a dremel tool.
                          You did notice the put they put wear marks where there would be no natural wear.

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post

Brilliant!

As many have stated more eloquently than me, I just don't get relicing. Yes, an older guitar that has some wear can give off a vibe that is definitely cool- but only when it's authentic! In other words, I like the fact that someone used and enjoyed it to play music and the guitar got its battle scars in all the ways that it can happen!

On the other hand, I think most of us take care of our guitars and try to keep them in as good as condition as possible. Yes, I have some worn guitars that I dig, and I can definitely relax when I play them, but I still try not to beat them up.

But hey, it's a brilliant marketing scheme, and if people are into the relics and don't mind paying the extra cash- enjoy. To each his own. But I'm never going to spend a penny on it. Completely disinterested.
                            GM,
                            www.aftershok.com

Comment

If the relicing is done correctly you cant tell the difference.
                              I had rsguitarworks do a partial refin on my 81 Deav V blueburst.It had been stripped on the body only and not from the neck heel up.
                              They did the body refin matching the paint from the neck and reliced the body to match the wear on the rest.
                              It came out so well the appraiser from Gruen's couldn't tell.

Comment

Working...
                              X