Hard choice between two guitars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard choice between two guitars

I have a chance to purchase a Jackson DK1 or an ESP MII maple board/SDs both in black, brand new, and around the same price. I know what the Jackson's like, but I have never played an ESP. How do guys think these two guitars compare? Just so you know, I would change out the EMGs in the Jackson for SDs. Thanks in advance.
    "Hard work is for people short on talent." -George Carlin

get the ESP
    its different
    My Guitars
    Hohner HW-200 (Natrual Grain)
    Slammer By Hamer XP-1 Standard (Wine Red)
    Kramer 1984 Custom (Bullseye Black)
    Squier Affinity Series P-Bass (Black)
    Epiphone Les Paul Classic (Black)
    Takamine EG531SSC (Black)
    Kramer Vanguard S-440S
    Kramer Proaxe Standard (Black Sparkle)
    Epiphone Zakk Wylde Les Paul Custom (Camo)
    Kramer F-1000 (Black)
    Ibanez RG-370 (Urban Digital Camo)

Comment

I'm a Jackson fanboi all the way, but I feel that in the bolt-on category the M-II might be a better guitar. The M-II has a neckplate which is angled in all the right ways. However, many DK1's come with an OFR and a neck binding. Decisions decisions.

Comment

DK1. Just because I favor the sharkies, ebony board and binding.
        "The BLUES is the tonic for what ails ya."

Comment

One advantage of buying the DK1 is you get to keep hanging around the JCF. If you buy a M-II, you'll have to hand around the ESPee forums (that place smells like piss).

Comment

You can make the decision by neck profile. The DK-1's is thinner. The M-II's is thicker. If your idea of a perfect neck is an Ibanez Wizard, get the Jackson. If you're comfortable with a Gibson LP (thinner 60's profile) or a Jackson PC1's neck (but wish it was a little thinner), get the ESP. I have an M-II and I assure you it KILLS!
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

Also, older M-II's have ESP brand pickups which aren't bad, but probably aren't as well-rounded as Duncans.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                If you buy a M-II, you'll have to hand around the ESPee forums (that place smells like piss).
                I like that.
                "The BLUES is the tonic for what ails ya."

Comment

most new M-II will have EMG's

Comment

I vote for get either one in any color but black. The world has enough boring black guitars

Comment

Originally posted by Robotechnology View Post
                      You can make the decision by neck profile. The DK-1's is thinner. The M-II's is thicker. If your idea of a perfect neck is an Ibanez Wizard, get the Jackson. If you're comfortable with a Gibson LP (thinner 60's profile) or a Jackson PC1's neck (but wish it was a little thinner), get the ESP. I have an M-II and I assure you it KILLS!
                      Well I haven't played a bolt-on M-II recently but I wouldn't think Jackson necks are similar to Ibanez wizards, maybe some of the necks on the early professional dinkies but nothing else

I'd guess the DK-1 has the thicker neck...

As for the choice between two I think a Dk-1 would be a better guitar but if you already have one or more Jacksons and if you like maple boards go for the M-II
                      Check my bands!
                      www.myspace.com/magicktr
                      www.myspace.com/sinif64
                      www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

I'd say try them both out if you can because the ESP neck profile is different. Cool guitar though.
                        I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

Originally posted by thetroy View Post
                          I vote for get either one in any color but black. The world has enough boring black guitars
                          MII comes in black. No other options avaliable.

If i were you i would get the mII. I love dk1 but i just can't resist superstrats with maple boards. I also prefer duncans over emgs. MII got a befier neck. Try both and make your desicion. And please post pics when you buy it.

Comment

Thanks for all the responses. Yeah, the MII only comes in black and it already has real Duncans, so it is a hard choice. They are too far away to play before hand. How hard is it to change the Jackson EMGs to Duncans?
                            "Hard work is for people short on talent." -George Carlin

Comment

If you change the EMGs to Duncans, you'll also have to change the pots and the jack. Not a big deal, but an extra little step.

Comment

Working...
                              X