• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pulled the trigger on a Westone yesterday

http://www.westone.info/cats/newhorizons/01.html

OK, so the other guitarist in a band I used to play in
    ("The Groovy Purple Shirts" :ROTF:)

back in the late 80's had a Westone that killed... sweet action, great tone, etc.

That's why.

Official review to follow, as soon as it arrives...

Trevor said "YES" to it, so it can't be horrible, right?
    "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
    --floydkramer

I have a Westone Paduak I that I got in 1982 at a fire sale. Single hum Gotoh dualsound type, built-in preamp and vintage trem, which I replaced with a drop-in Rockinger. That guitar was my "metal" guitar for a few years in the 80s, and the only reason I don't play it now is that I wore the frets out.

The neck on mine is pretty fat and Fender-like but I like that. I think you'll dig it and I bet it was pretty cheap too, eh?
    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

That's good to hear Lerxstcat...
      Have you considered refretting it?
      I was checking out some stew-mac stuff, and some YouTube videos on refretting and am going to try it one of these days.

The westone was 225, which is not cheap, but... I've been waiting for a nice minty-stock one and have been debating it too long, so... it's finally done.

At least I didn't spend 750 back in '89, right? hehe
      --floydkramer

Comment

Well, it still plays well without any annoying buzz or fretting out. It's just that I have more guitars than money and a refret is about $250 in the shops or probably close to that to buy the tools for doing it. Wheras I have a nice Peavey Tracer neck that I bought for $35 that will fit it and has 75% of its fret life left. The Tracer has the cool Peavey take on the pointy headstock too, a lot like a Model Series neck if a bit thicker. I'm not really a great craftsman but I can unbolt a neck and bolt a new one on!

I guess since I paid $140 for it in the first place it's hard for me to justify $250 for a refret right now. If money or tools, or my ineptitude with tools, weren't issues, I'd do it though. Beautiful neck and I did love that guitar when it was my main player.

Originally posted by nhspike View Post
        That's good to hear Lerxstcat...
        Have you considered refretting it?
        I was checking out some stew-mac stuff, and some YouTube videos on refretting and am going to try it one of these days.

The westone was 225, which is not cheap, but... I've been waiting for a nice minty-stock one and have been debating it too long, so... it's finally done.

At least I didn't spend 750 back in '89, right? hehe
        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

http://www.westone.info/cats/newhorizons/01.html

OK, so the other guitarist in a band I used to play in
          ("The Groovy Purple Shirts" :ROTF:)

back in the late 80's had a Westone that killed... sweet action, great tone, etc.

That's why.

Official review to follow, as soon as it arrives...

Westone. Is that a Matsumoku product? I don't own any Westones, but I do own 2 Westburys that were made by the Matsumoku factory and if that the case, you got a nice guitar coming.......
          Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department

Comment

That is post Uncle Mat I believe
            Haters gonna hate
            Dilluting the brand one MUTT at a time.

Comment

Coloradoman is right, it's a Korean job.
              Just before Westone flamed out... soon to be reborn in England later.
              I'm hoping that they put too much quality into these, and that's why they flamed out!
              hehehe
              --floydkramer

Comment

Didn't Westones come with graphite or plastic necks at one time?
                Turn that Sh......... down!

Comment

That sounds right, but I can't quote catalogue pages or anything.
                  Tokai did some, with the MAT series... basically fiberglass???
                  From what I've read, here and there, the Corsair GT had poplar body.
                  I'm not sure though.
                  The year before was, the year after was, but... of couse... my year, no description in the catalog.
                  GRRRRR!
                  Again I say, an honest review will follow.
                  Stay tuned.
                  --floydkramer

Comment

Honest review: Nice
                    Very nice.
                    The "mid-shape control" is like having a Mesa contour control on the guitar.
                    Very happy.
                    If I ran out of my house while it was on fire, and just happened to grab this one to play while I waited for the insurance check (to replace my other toys...) I would be quite content for a few months.
                    HIGHLY RECCOMENDED, Korean or not.
                    Did I mention that I just bought two model 4's for 500?
                    hehehe
                    Kahler trems, black... both... they were on E-Bay for about a day, I bid on both, then one went away.
                    I e-mailed the guy, asking what was up... gave him my phone number... we chatted.
                    I talked him out of parting them out and bought both.

Call me a gear hog.
                    I like it.
                    Peace all, and Merry Freakin' Christmas to all!!!!
                    --floydkramer

Comment

And he played them onstage too I saw them dozens of times back in the day and he played both 6 and 12 string Westones live. I would definitely pick up one of the Strat copies if I came across one. Congrats on the score!
                      Courtesy, Integrity, Self-control, Perseverance, Indomitable Spirit

Comment

thanks Jim!
                        --floydkramer

Comment

Westone were very similar to Kaman's GTX line were they not? A shop here had a GTX and a Westone side by side and they looked identical. Vesters came out of the same factory too I think.

Comment

Mat made a lot of axes for a lot of companies.
                            It wouldn't surprise me if they did... Electra, Westone, Aria... the list is much longer...
                            Bueller?
                            Bueller?
                            --floydkramer

Comment

Working...
                            X