I'm looking for my son's first guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm looking for my son's first guitar

Does anyone have any recommendations for a smaller guitar that doesn't feel like a toy? I want something that will sound good too if possible. I remember seeing a little Explorer somewhere that looked pretty cool but can't remember now where that was. It was either here or the LPF. Can anyone help me out?

Originally posted by pjg View Post
    Does anyone have any recommendations for a smaller guitar that doesn't feel like a toy? I want something that will sound good too if possible. I remember seeing a little Explorer somewhere that looked pretty cool but can't remember now where that was. It was either here or the LPF. Can anyone help me out?
    Hard to beat an Ibanez..because of the thin neck which is great for the
    kids smaller hands. How young is he? If he's 5 then he will need a 3/4
    size guitar..(epiphone/Fender maybe?) But if he is 11 or so, then buy
    him a full sized Ibanez...(mid level say a $280 range) IMO...

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Burns View Post
      Hard to beat an Ibanez..because of the thin neck which is great for the
      kids smaller hands. How young is he? If he's 5 then he will need a 3/4
      size guitar..(epiphone/Fender maybe?) But if he is 11 or so, then buy
      him a full sized Ibanez...(mid level say a $280 range) IMO...
      He's in the 3/4 size age range.

Comment

get a 3/4 squire then?> can't really go wrong with a squier

Comment

...or a Fender Strat Junior. They don't make them anymore, but they are much higher quality than the Squire Mini's (I had 2 and sent them both back). You might find a Junior shopping around. Mine is used for traveling.

Last edited by Bengal65; 11-24-2007, 03:18 PM.
          Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by sonicsamurai View Post
            get a 3/4 squire then?> can't really go wrong with a squier
            Get one of these. You may have to wait awhile to find one but it would be perfect.
            I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

How about one of those Ibanez GIO Mikros? They look pretty cool.
              I'm not Ron!

Comment

Here is one with less than a day to go. 3/4 body. Full size thin neck. Light as a feather. http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-Squier-Bu...QQcmdZViewItem
                Last edited by fett; 11-24-2007, 03:11 PM.
                I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Originally posted by Racerx2k View Post
                  How about one of those Ibanez GIO Mikros? They look pretty cool.
                  Thats what I was thinking. Fender had a cool DuoSonic like one that would be perfect... not a kids guitar by any means, but it was short scale and 3/4th size. It was S-S and like a Duosonic Reissue, but I'm not 100% thats what they went by. I'll have to check next week.

Comment

Second vote for the Gio Mikros. I've got two students who have them, and they're actually pretty solid little guitars.

Comment

Or one of those mini Ibenhad acoustics. I tried one once and it sounded huge - like my Takamine G330S.

It was easy to fret as well.

Plus with an acoustic you don't need an amp, and he'll learn the importance of rhythm/timing before stepping into distortion (which masks too many mistakes).
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Related question, I'm going to be at a work camp 3 weeks a month starting Dec 3 about 3800km away from home and am sort of interested in a travel guitar, although it's not that big of a deal for me to bring my DK2T or something, just would rather bring something less valuable that I could care less about being affected by the temperature changes between home and work...

Anything cool out there that's small with a standard scale? I was thinking maybe a Steinberger but I don't want something that feels TOO foreign to me...I don't know if I could get used to the no headstock and strange body shape!

Comment

Get a js series. They are cheap and less vaulable.

Comment

you could always get this,im buying one for my step daughter
                            i asked her if she wanted the pink guitar with hello kitty on it
                            or a black guitar with skull and cross bones on it,she said
                            the back one

http://www.myspace.com/deadsoldier2

Comment

I bought a squire mini for my son and it is junk. I had to clean up the frets to take sharp edges off the ends etc... Try something else.

Comment

Working...
                              X