alternative tuning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alternative tuning

I never play my ibanez rg 470 so I thought I would tune it to "B". so on the advice eof my local shop I purchase set of 11 gauge enie ball's beefys (the yellow pack). she has a Seymour pick up a full shred and it sounded a bit flabby. the old "g" string now a "d" sounds awful. I think I'm going to remove the 11's and put a set of 9's back on with an extra low 6th string and lose the high "e" string. any thoughts on this?
    no sig.....

If you are going to tune it to "B" then use at least 0.12 gauge strings. I tune my kevin bond to c# (not drop ,all the way down) and i am using 0.11 ernie balls.

Comment

Yeah I'd agree that .011 is too light for that radical downtuning. I'd also recommend .012.

If you can't find that heavy string sets, you could also buy a .009 set for 7 stringers, and then ditch the thinnest string. However, that will leave you with a would 3rd string, which isn't very optimal for soloing IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
        Yeah I'd agree that .011 is too light for that radical downtuning. I'd also recommend .012.

If you can't find that heavy string sets, you could also buy a .009 set for 7 stringers, and then ditch the thinnest string. However, that will leave you with a would 3rd string, which isn't very optimal for soloing IMHO.
        A friend of mine uses his guitar b tuned. (sepultura fan) He is using 0.13 gauge strings but he likes to have a strong string tension. 0.12 's will do the job.

Comment

For B, I'd try 12s or 13s. For Ernie Ball, try the Not Even Slinky. They're a step up from the Beefy Slinky. They're 12, 16, 24, 32, 44, 56.

GHS Low Tunes (GB-Low) might work for you, too. I used them on one of my Strats, though it was only tuned to D or Drop C. They're 11, 15, 19, 33, 43, 53.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

+1 on using a heavier gage. However, with a floating trem guitar, it does not end there. You might have to add/remove springs and/or adjust the spring claw to keep the bridge level with the body . and this is true with any bridge, you have to re-adjust the intonation.
            Sam

Comment

I use 10-56 for standard tuning 7 string and 13-56 for B standard on a 6 string. I have used 12's for C#. My advice is to try that tuning and see if it works. If not go to 13-56's.
              I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

I have a guitar with those EB Beefys tuned to C# drop B. They work fine for me. But it's a hardtail, not a floating trem...

Depends on what his definition of "awful" is. Not enough tension? Too much? I think that guage will work fine with that tuning. They will be a bit slinkier but they will hold the tuning. I think there is a bridge or action issue causing the strings to sound "awful". But a better description of the problem could help...
                I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

Why not just buy a baritone guitar built for low tuning.

Comment

Working...
                  X