No announcement yet.

Floyd style bridge and no locking nut??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd style bridge and no locking nut??

Maybe this is common but i`ve never seen it! Saw a nice Yamaha guitar today at a music store that had a Floyd type of bridge with fine tuners and a regular (plastic?) nut. Anyone ever see this on a guitar? It was a very nice guitar,one of the older RGX models from the 90s i guess but the more i thought about it could it be a Yamaha neck on a different body? Pretty weird in a cool way!!!

It is common. Not too common but i saw some guitars like that. Some carvins have it. Some people prefer graphite or bone nuts over locking nuts because of tonal reasons. I dont think it differs much.I think there is only one advantage wich is you can change the strings easily. (with the locking tuners of course)

Comment

Like destructin_od said some Carvins have it, specifically the Tony MacAlpine models.
      I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge.

http://cdwillis.blogspot.com/

Comment

But the bridge has fine tuners???? wouldn`t that be the only reason to have fine tuners if there is a locking nut?

Comment

What are they suppose to do? Put an old floyd pattern without the fine tuners? There is no avialable floyd model without them. And you can use fine tuners any time you want to. If you are using aggresive bends and vibratos then fine tuners can be very useful to adjust the tune without touching the tuners.

Comment

Carvins, or any guitar that has straight string pull to the headstock, you don't really need a locking nut. Though, if you really use the bar heavily, like Steve Vai, a locking nut is more advisable. With a Carvin with a Floyd, you have the option to pay an extra $20 to have the locking nut installed.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Metaled1020 View Post
              But the bridge has fine tuners???? wouldn`t that be the only reason to have fine tuners if there is a locking nut?
              No, Gibson made a stop tailpiece with fine tuners. You can fine-tune with your right hand while you hit a chord with your left hand, which doesn't work very well if you try to reach up and use the regular tuners while holding a chord.
              Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by lerxstcat View Post
                No, Gibson made a stop tailpiece with fine tuners. You can fine-tune with your right hand while you hit a chord with your left hand, which doesn't work very well if you try to reach up and use the regular tuners while holding a chord.
                I wish they still used those. I found them very useful. The Howard Roberts Fusion had a similiar bridge. But those "tuners" were actually designed to be able to change individual string tension. But I used them as fine tuners...
                I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

You can still buy a schaller tail piece. Like on the kevin bond rhoads.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal View Post
                      I wish they still used those. I found them very useful. The Howard Roberts Fusion had a similiar bridge. But those "tuners" were actually designed to be able to change individual string tension. But I used them as fine tuners...
                      They still make the TP-6 fine tuning tailpiece. I put one on my Les Paul. They have them in gold and chrome on Gibson's site.
                      http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Division...%20Tailpieces/

Schaller makes their own version in gold, chrome, and black (as used on the Jackson Kevin Bond model).
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I love the fine tuning stop tails, awesome idea

Comment

I would love to have fine tuners on my Eclipse.
                          Jackson KV2T Black Ghost Flames with EMG's

Comment

Originally posted by bibz View Post
                            I love the fine tuning stop tails, awesome idea

I think so too. It's much easier and quicker to tune quickly with the guitar in playing position.
                            Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Working...
                            X