Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hamer Californian - 27 fret model

Yah or nah?
    Last edited by imaguy2; 12-14-2007, 10:53 AM.

The USA versions are pretty cool....
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Yah!
      the last one I saw went for $1000+ about a year ago.
      JvicE

Comment

Wonderful guitars.

Comment

The USA versions are pretty cool....
          Wonderful guitars.
          I agree!

Comment

The set neck US models are awesome but have gotten rather pricey ($1800+ for a plain white one on Ebay recently). If you can find a decent deal on one, I highly recommend them.

The bolt-ons are hit or miss...more miss IMO.

Comment

I had a Korean bolt-on I got for $200 that was fantastic...until my guitarist left it in his trunk for a week last winter.
              Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

They are OK. I had one. It had EMG's. Honestly it could not touch my PC1 in terms of tone or sustain.
                It had a 1-5/8" nut - a little small for my personal preference. 1-11/16" would have been better.
                Nice shape neck. But the back of the neck was shallacked - which I hate.
                Great upper fret access. I like the look of the headstock.
                Trem was OK - not as good as a real Floyd.

If they still made custom ones I would order one to my personal taste.
                I am having a custom copy made for me by someone right now.
                PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

Hey Mountain Dog, what version is that reverse headstock Cali? I don't think I've ever seen one with a reverse headstock before. I love it!

Comment

I had one of the old hologram skulls one back around 90-91. Was a great player. Not too sure about the new ones though.

Comment

The setneck Californians are incredibly rare. That recent white one was only about the second one I recall seeing on eBay. The USA bolt-on Californians I've played in stores were nice, like all USA Hamers. I briefly had an import Californian, and it was a total POS.

If you can get a USA Californian at a decent price (they're getting pricier nowadays), they're worthwhile. FWIW, Hamer will no longer take orders for Californians, for whatever stupid reason.

Comment

Originally posted by quiksilver View Post
                        Hey Mountain Dog, what version is that reverse headstock Cali? I don't think I've ever seen one with a reverse headstock before. I love it!
                        It's a custom...I was told it was one of Jack Frost's guitars.

Comment

Originally posted by shredmonster View Post
                          They are OK. I had one. It had a 1-5/8" nut - a little small for my personal preference. 1-11/16" would have been better.
                          Nice shape neck. But the back of the neck was shallacked - which I hate.
                          Great upper fret access. I like the look of the headstock.
                          Trem was OK - not as good as a real Floyd.
                          You sure about the nut? And the German Schaller isn't as good as a 'real Floyd'?? Mine has 1-11/16" and the trem is great.

Comment

Yeah the springs were not as tight on the trem as the Floyd - which I suppose I could have changed. It gave quite a bit when doing vibrato. Other than that it worked fine.

My Cali had a 1-5/8" nut. Neck felt small.

Still I wish they would have done the satin finish thing on the back of the neck.

The other thing was the ebony board - I much prefer maple or rosewood - which some of them may of had - I don't know.

They are nice guitars. As good as any Jackson. For me they did not contain the personal preferences that I like - that's why I always order custom these days.
                            PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

Interesting that your's had the 1-5/8" nut. Regarding the gloss on the rear of the neck, yep, mine has that too, but I used some #0000 steel wool to take some of the shine/gloss off of it and now it feels more like a satin finish.

Comment

Working...
                              X