7 Strings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7 Strings

What is happening in the world of 7 strings ? Ive been looking at getting into them again & the choice out there is miserable i was looking back at an old ESP catalogue from 2000/2001 & they had some awesome 7's the old H-307 ,M-307 MH-307 why in god's name were these disscontinued ? i would of thought 7's would be more in demand these days with all the bands choosing them for heavier tunings. Ibanez has the old universe still going but im not keen on it. The only company with a decent selection these days is Schecter which still seems to be a little unknown which is no way a bad thing they have quite alot of big name artists on there books. I just hope ESP come out with a brand new selection for NAMM 2008 so im gonna hold out to see what turns up next year if not i'll try get an old ESP on ebay !

why not get a COW 7 ?

Comment

they don't have trem tho or a neck pickup...which isn't much use if ur trying to beat rusty cooley :p

Comment

also u say heavier tunings.....heaviness is in the tonality and what scale ur using i think, and also has a lot to do with gain, eq, amp tone, u can sound just as heavy in standard tuning as u do in b if u choose the right notes. hell deicide, morbid angel, slayer, dark angel etc just use e flat most of the time. Most of the classic german thrash is in standard, and none of them tune lower than d these days...

whoop! 1500 posts!!
        Last edited by sonicsamurai; 12-15-2007, 08:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sonicsamurai View Post
          hell deicide, morbid angel, slayer, dark angel etc just use e flat most of the time. Most of the classic german thrash is in standard, and none of them tune lower than d these days...
          Well personally i wouldn't say Slayer has a very heavy tone. Morbid Angel only tunes down a half step, yes but they also use 7 string guitars with a low b string.

7 String were sought after when all those new metal bands like limp bizkit, korn and slipknot got famous. Now the new metal wave seems to be not so popular anymore (thank god !) and i think that's why you don't see much 7 string guitars around anymore. They gone back to being the "freak guitars" and i don't mean that in a bad way. It seems like now most people buying 7 strings are in for the tonal possibilites and not being 14 years old and try to hack away limp bizkit songs.

Flo
          http://www.myspace.com/drasticviolence

Thrash/Death-Metal from Germany

Comment

why not that schecter one ? ( the guitarist from nevermore ... his name escapes me )
            Say, I smell bacon.Does anyone else smell bacon?
            Yeah, I definitely smell a pork product of some type.

Comment

If you want to find out what's going on with 7s these, head on over to:

There's still alot of choice, from Petrucci's (pig ugly, IMO) Musicman, through Ibanez's J-Customs, RG1257, RG7321, Korn guitars, Schecter's Loomis model (the one Super was talking about), Blackjacks, etc., Dean have an entry level Vendetta 1.7 as well as a Razorback 7. Jackson Stars have had some limited 7 string soloist, Kelly and RR models. Even Rondo music do a cut price 7 string Interceptor/Sceptor.

Comment

lol is that the 'dimebag razorback 7 STRING with EMGS?? lol clearly a dime guitar then ...

Comment

Originally posted by sonicsamurai View Post
                  lol is that the 'dimebag razorback 7 STRING with EMGS?? lol clearly a dime guitar then ...
                  I seem to remember Dime playing that, em, 7 string, em, Razorback... Eh, no, I don't. But still, it's on sale and has 7 strings.

Let me re-pimp my own 7. It's just like the one Marty Friedman played in Megadeth. Ahem.

Comment

Originally posted by ken View Post
                    Schecter's Loomis model (the one Super was talking about), .
                    yea cheers thats the one
                    Say, I smell bacon.Does anyone else smell bacon?
                    Yeah, I definitely smell a pork product of some type.

Comment

Originally posted by ken View Post
                      I seem to remember Dime playing that, em, 7 string, em, Razorback... Eh, no, I don't. But still, it's on sale and has 7 strings.

Let me re-pimp my own 7. It's just like the one Marty Friedman played in Megadeth. Ahem.

Damn, that's a beauty! Nice.

Hmm, how about a Rusty Cooley Dean? You know the one that was supposed to be out this year, but Dean never delivered If they would offer a finish other than that gaudly graphic, I'd be all over it in a flash.
                      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Schecter makes very good 7-strings. I had a 007 Elite (the H/S version) and really enjoyed it. I also had an Ibanez RG7620 which was pretty cool. I didn't use them all that much, so they got sold off. Though, if I do get another 7, I'll most likely get a Carvin DC727 or DC747.
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

That 7 string kelly is tits!! If only it had a floyd
                          Check my bands!
                          www.myspace.com/magicktr
                          www.myspace.com/sinif64
                          www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

Originally posted by NextInLine View Post
                            That 7 string kelly is tits!!
                            funny shaped tits you look at...

Comment

Carvin