Inspired By Hippie Tim JEM7VWH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by neilli View Post
    Cool stuff - I'm surprised that Floyd Rose doesn't supply a 'neaten up your guitar' kit with the trem though, cos that just leaves anyone who installs a speedload having to sort out their own headstocks....
    Actually, they did include plugs when I had mine done. Mine was also installed by JT at Floyd's shop in Redmond.

I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Cool job Bengal65! I need to get some of those plugs for my Speedloader equipped RG.
      I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Thanks Tim! It was slow going at first and I didn't think I get here as fast. I was searching and searching for the parts since I talked to you. I got all kinds of stories. "They have been discontinued". "no longer making them anymore", "Floyd is being sued again", They are on order and should be here at the end of December", "Production won't start till next year", "Why would you want to do that to your guitar?", "What's a Speedloader?" "It won't work on that Guitar", "Never seen one of those", On and on. Stuff like that! It's all too funny now
        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

thats so awesome!
          and floyd himself contacted you?
          Thats really pretty sweet- i was worried they were going to go out of buisness or something cuz there site hasnt been updated in forever
          My Guitars
          Hohner HW-200 (Natrual Grain)
          Slammer By Hamer XP-1 Standard (Wine Red)
          Kramer 1984 Custom (Bullseye Black)
          Squier Affinity Series P-Bass (Black)
          Epiphone Les Paul Classic (Black)
          Takamine EG531SSC (Black)
          Kramer Vanguard S-440S
          Kramer Proaxe Standard (Black Sparkle)
          Epiphone Zakk Wylde Les Paul Custom (Camo)
          Kramer F-1000 (Black)
          Ibanez RG-370 (Urban Digital Camo)

Comment

That is pretty much the perfect shred guitar - if I had a spare 2 grand that's most likely what I'd get.

Comment

It's cool, clean, and definitly unique! It would take me a little time to get used to not seeing tuners though. Just a thought, I wonder how plugs made from the same fret inlay would look?
              "POOP"

Comment

Scratch that comment. I thought the inlays were multi-colored MOP. I'll STFU and move along quietly now!
                "POOP"

Comment

Yuck...

No offense, but I think those look hideous. That and I have no problem at all with the Edge trem so that's not for me...

Nice job though... I guess...
                  I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

great. now tell me how easy it is to buy those sets of strings.

i remember bc rich having a range with those fitted. it didn't last long i recall.

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal View Post
                      Yuck...

No offense, but I think those look hideous. That and I have no problem at all with the Edge trem so that's not for me...

Nice job though... I guess...
                      No offense taken To each is own. It looks great to me and the greatest improvement for Floyd's to date. I'll be slowly converting my OFR's on other guitars over to Speedloaders. This is the best thing since sliced bread to me.

On the Edge trems, I've never seen the "knife" edges on the base plates wear as badly as these do. Being a materials engineer, I don't think the Japanese have ever got their metal alloys right, including associated heat treatment. The metals they use are always too soft for their intended applications. IMO, it also goes with their automotive and motorcycle industry having worked on many of them.
                      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by sonicsamurai View Post
                        great. now tell me how easy it is to buy those sets of strings.

i remember bc rich having a range with those fitted. it didn't last long i recall.
                        The local shops do not carry them anymore (Don't know why? Maybe cause they are more expensive than standard strings?) All the stores have to order them. I just ordered 20 sets from Just Strings. I'll vacuum pack what I don't plan to use and cryogentically store them.

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal65 View Post
                          No offense taken To each is own. It looks great to me and the greatest improvement for Floyd's to date. I'll be slowly converting my OFR's on other guitars over to Speedloaders. This is the best thing since sliced bread to me.

On the Edge trems, I've never seen the "knife" edges on the base plates wear as badly as these do. Being a materials engineer, I don't think the Japanese have ever got their metal alloys right, including associated heat treatment. The metals they use are always too soft for their intended applications. IMO, it also goes with their automotive and motorcycle industry having worked on many of them.
                          I've heard others talk of the soft knife edges too. I must admit, I have yet to run into this problem. Have had problems with the studs, big problems on the 99's and older but no problems with the edges. But I don't jam on them either. More of a subtle Floyd user, I guess...

Will Fender Bullets work on those? Just reverse them?

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal View Post
                            Will Fender Bullets work on those? Just reverse them?
                            No, they are double ended (bullet, or I call it a cylinder on each end) and are precision ground in diameter and on each face enabling them to be put in the nut and saddle piece. The tolerences are very tight, hence the higher cost for strings. The initial tuning is done at the saddle using a small set screw. It takes a 1.5mm allen screwdriver. So the set screw bears on the bullet or cylinder in the saddle. Once this tuning is set you do not need to touch it, even when changing strings of the same diameter. Just use the Floyd fine tuners. It's a snap to change strings. Amazing, I till cannot figure why they are not more popular.
                            Last edited by Bengal65; 12-17-2007, 11:23 PM.

Comment

Both of those are killer!

Comment

For me it's as lame as no tuning keys on the headstock. I know it sounds lame, and it is, but I think a headstock needs tuning keys to look right...

But I'd like to check one out. I may have to hunt one down. Sounds interesting...

Comment

Working...
                                X