Inspired By Hippie Tim JEM7VWH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inspired By Hippie Tim JEM7VWH

I wanted to get rid of the "pot" metal Edge Trem. I wanted to put on some good German heavy metal!. Special thanks to Hippie Tim in giving me some info and I went ahead and looked for a Floyd Gold Speedloader. I did some measuring and I needed a 17" radius nut 43mm wide. So, I contacted my resources and nothing was in North America. Supposidly, they were going to start manufacturing in Jan. 2008 and should be available in the Summer of 2008. Crap! I contacted the Sales offices of Floyd Rose and still nothing. I also asked some technical questions about fitment. They couldn't answer my questions. The offices are now in NJ. Not WA anymore? What's up with that? I don't know. So, as I was about to give up, I get this call a couple of weeks later. "I heard your looking for a Gold Speedloader, #8 nut, 42.86mm wide by 17" radius in Gold". Yes, ah, whom am I talking to? "This is Floyd". Really, "yeah really". I was going to start asking historical questions and quiz him to see if it really was him. Like when (what year) did you first invent the OFR bridge?:ROTF: Well, after payment arrangements, it got shipped to me.
    Now, at this point, I wasn't sure if this was going to be a drop in. I talked to several luthiers and none had ever done this, including Ed Roman's "Custom Shop"! (I figured they did everything)
    Anyway, I got the unit. The nut is for a Floyd shelf (screw in from the top) The holes cleared the existing bolt through holes (whew, no plugging to do) I wanted to retain the bolts so it would look "stock". I made little threaded inserts from 4mm weld nuts, used a taper ream from the top, installed the the inserts with a press fit and used shorter button head 4mm machine screws from the back of the neck. The bolts were in and the shelf was flat. I drilled the holes and screwed the nut down. A good thing, no shims! The stock Ibby nut had 1-1/2 shims!

Anyway, long story short, I used the stock trem posts in the standard location. The recessed rout is the same size as a Floyd OFR on the JEM. However, the Speedloader uses a smaller opening. No problems, at least I don't have to rout! I got it setup, and I don't know what I have been missing! You don't have to stretch the strings and it stays in tune forever. Plus, I lost 230 grams off the headstock. That's 1/2 a lb.! The guitar is so light now. One of my buddies, stopped over. He doesn't play guitar. We took a look at my latest project. He asked; "How you tune the thing"? I said you just push these here buttons on the headstock
    I love this thing!

This pic is kinda crappy. I need to take some outside. The flash was blinding it out, so I tried to cover it, but you get the idea.

I misspelled the title. I've been working on this all weekend. I guess I'm tired:ROTF: :ROTF:
    Last edited by Bengal65; 12-16-2007, 06:54 PM.
    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

That is wild
    Drive Fast Cars & Play Cool Guitars!!!

Comment

Looks cool !

Comment

Very cool!

Comment

Nice work - do the 'buttons' to cover the machinehead holes come with the unit?
          Popular is not the same as good
          Rare is not the same as valuable
          Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
            Nice work - do the 'buttons' to cover the machinehead holes come with the unit?
            No, I ended up using these: http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76762

I sanded them down, the inside portion of the insert down, so that I could fit one on each side of the headstock. I painted them with Krylon Gold plate paint and sealed them with a clearcoat. Once they were good and dry. I pushed them in using a little silicone glue to secure them. The total mod is completely reversable, if I wanted to go back to stock. No, way! It's too good this way. But, I made it possible just in case.
            Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Cool stuff - I'm surprised that Floyd Rose doesn't supply a 'neaten up your guitar' kit with the trem though, cos that just leaves anyone who installs a speedload having to sort out their own headstocks....
              Popular is not the same as good
              Rare is not the same as valuable
              Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Yeah, you would think that too! Most everyone that puts a Floyd on will have the standard size 10mm diameter holes for the tuners. And really then, only one set diameter of plugs would be needed. (In all colours of course, Chrome, Black, and Gold )

Comment

How does that guitar play? Is that an ebony board?
                  "Hard work is for people short on talent." -George Carlin

Comment

So does an OFR just drop in a JEM route?
                    Out Of Ideas

Comment

nicely done and I love the plug idea to keep it looking clean.
                      www.usacharvels.com - info, pics and Charvel guitar discussion board. All things Charvel
                      My Charvel guitars - always one away from too many!

Comment

Originally posted by Holy Diver View Post
                        How does that guitar play? Is that an ebony board?
                        It plays like a JEM I was sold on these after I bought the new Bad Horsie. I picked this up slightly used '97 with the ebony board recently. I really like the ebony on this white guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by Frigo89 View Post
                          So does an OFR just drop in a JEM route?
                          Yes, techincally speaking it will work for both OFR and Speedloader as they are primarily the same baseplate with minor differences. The Floyd Rose site say's the posts must be 25.1685" from the front of the nut to the center of the post (insert). The JEM is 25.00". To get the bridge to intonate, I just used the 2nd set of saddle holes (from the front of the bridge plate) to locate the saddles. For the most part the Ibby bridge does this as well.
                          This was my greatest fear doing this as an experiment. Knowone really knew it would work. I knew Tim's was done by Floyd Rose and company, so I knew I had a chance!

Comment

I have to say man, beautiful guitar.
                            But it freaked me out!!!
                            Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe_Steeler View Post
                              I have to say man, beautiful guitar.
                              But it freaked me out!!!
                              Yeah, it's those push button tuners. Better than the Gibson design!

I need to put some .010"'s on her. It came with .010"s when I got it. The .009's sound a little thin. Maybe, because I have less mass at the headstock

Comment

Working...
                              X