Ibanex RG220B.. worth it as a beater?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ibanex RG220B.. worth it as a beater?

What would say about an Ibanez RG220B for around $100?
    Is it even worth it? Supposedly in great shape.
    I was thinking of it as a project guitar.. getting new pickups and maybe an OFR for the fun of it eventually.

What do you think?
    DK2M
    Fender Strat (Made in USA)
    Epiphone Les Paul Classic Quilt Top

Most of Ibanez low end stuff plays great, many don't like the tone, but they are pretty decent about Qc. A pup swap and Ofr would be be a great upgrade for a 220.

Comment

Some of the bridges on those Korean jobs are brewtal, these just snap strings left and right.

Comment

Avoid any ibanez under 450 series imo..
        "I hate these filthy neutrals! With enemies, you know where they stand. But with neutrals... who knows? It sickens me!"

Comment

Originally posted by Spacelord View Post
          What would say about an Ibanez RG220B for around $100?
          Is it even worth it? Supposedly in great shape.
          I was thinking of it as a project guitar.. getting new pickups and maybe an OFR for the fun of it eventually.

What do you think?
          I think that it'd be worth $100 if you could deal with it as it is, but it would be a huge waste of money to upgrade it. You could throw an OFR and Duncans on it and it'd still be a $100 guitar. An OFR may not even fit, not all Ibanezes are a drop-in replacement. If you have to have it redrilled for OFR stud spacing, that's an added expense.

If it sounds good and stays in tune exactly as is, yeah it's worth $100 as a beater. If you want an upgradeable guitar, get a 4xx or 5xx or up. Even then your resale is not going to be improved by a pickup and trem change.

You just don't get your money back on things like that....
          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Try to find an RG550 - a friend of mine used it as a project guitar and it worked really well for him. He's got it ugraded all sorts of ways. Try to look at it as cars - do You want a Honda Civic with six turbos, or do You want to buy a new car for that same money? Both have their appeals, really.
            - Andi Kravljaca -

Comment

I have an Ibanez RG220, and pretty much use it as my main guitar, without any problems, whatsoever. I, of course, upgraded the stock pickups. After owning it for over two years, I finally broke a string on it, at practice, a few weeks ago. NEVER judge a book by it's cover.
              I'm not Ron!

Comment

I've found the cheap RGs to be surprisingly good myself. The hardtail RG321 is a crazy bargain.
                Courtesy, Integrity, Self-control, Perseverance, Indomitable Spirit

Comment

Wow, I hadn't seen that one Jim...I might pick one up as a backup for my SLSMG!
                  Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

I had an RG220B that I bought for $80. It was nice beater guitar for me. I changed the bridge pickup to a Super Distortion and had a friend make a Vinyl Flame Decal for the body.

Damn, I love this Interweb.

Comment

The guitar was sold before I had a chance to go check it out.
                      DK2M
                      Fender Strat (Made in USA)
                      Epiphone Les Paul Classic Quilt Top

Comment

Working...
                      X