New Fender Malmsteen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fuel0707 View Post
    Fender did it to make the '07's closer to the guitars that Yngwie is using. They also put threaded brass inserts in the neck for machine screws that attach the neck to the body.
    They did a real good job updating the YJM. I think it's a better guitar now then when they first realesed it. Yours is the best color too. Kick ass!
    "Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves!"

Comment

thats'a a very nice guitar

what's a scalloped neck? i mean .. i've seen it in the pic and i know what it looks like but what advantages does it give and how does it feel
      If the crowd is shouting for an encore, but the sound guy is shaking his head, ignore him and play anyway

Comment

I like them but I cant get used to the scalloped boards for some reason.To used to floyds as well

Comment

Very nice guitars man. I myself have an '87 HM Strat. Bought it new in '87 but the poor thing has only been out of the case abou 3or 4 times in the past 12 years. And that was only to put some strings on it.

My Toys:
          '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Flame Top
          '94 Dinky Rev. Cherry Burst Flame Top
          '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Quilt Top
          '94 Dinky HX in Black
          '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

Comment

I have had several Malmsteens. All great guitars. I just can't handle 21 frets and no locking trem. Red is a great color for that guitar.

Comment

89 YJM Vintage White

Originally posted by ADR View Post
              Hey beautiful YJM in CAR,I have an 89 YJM in VW.
              It only gets played when I change the strings,maybe 2X a year.No more than 8 hrs. since I got it new in 89.

Henrik Danhage Sig Heavy Relic

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelLitvak View Post
                what's a scalloped neck? i mean .. i've seen it in the pic and i know what it looks like but what advantages does it give and how does it feel
                Although Ritchie Blackmore was one of the first big rock players to use a scalloped board, Yngwie is probably the player who really brought scalloping to prominence. Both players said they got the idea from medieval instruments, in particular, the lute. Interestingly, Yngwie says he started using scalloped fretboards before he knew that Ritchie used them.

As for the advantages, scalloping doesn't really affect speed. Blackmore and Malmsteen have both said that they like scalloping for better control of bends and finger vibrato. I would say that I'd agree with that view although I do find some pull-off licks to be a little easier with a scalloped board but that just may be me.

The one big potential downfall is that one must use a precise and lighter touch with a scalloped board. Pressing too hard will send the note(s) sharp. While it may take a little bit to get used to a scalloped board, I didn't find it too tough and most of my guitars still have non-scalloped fretboards. As a result, I do move between them and I don't find it too difficult.
                Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

Originally posted by ADR View Post
                  It only gets played when I change the strings,maybe 2X a year.No more than 8 hrs. since I got it new in 89.
                  Are those the stock pickups? I didn't think they were logo'd back in '89.
                  Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

My late 80s Malmsteen:

Sadly it only gets played 2x-3x a year.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                      I have had several Malmsteens. All great guitars. I just can't handle 21 frets and no locking trem. Red is a great color for that guitar.
                      Easy there John I'm going to secure my first fender strat. An eric johnson model. Not really buying it for shredding. It's capable, but the 12 inch radius to me, still can't be as "PEGGED" as my shredders.

That is a gorgeous guitar! Reminds me of one of Yngwies he uses in japan's live video. I think it had a non locking floyd.

Enjoy it!! I'll let you know when I buy mine

Comment

is that the same head stock that the highway 1's have?
                        ...that taste like tart, lemon yogart

Comment

Originally posted by fuel0707 View Post
                          Are those the stock pickups? I didn't think they were logo'd back in '89.

You have me thinking now,Ill have to retreive the receipt.I may have gotten it 90?
                          The Serial is SE9XXXXX. I have never taken the neck off believe it or not.
                          Last edited by ADR; 12-28-2007, 11:52 PM.
                          Henrik Danhage Sig Heavy Relic

Comment

Working...
                          X