Gibson Les Paul Custom - Standard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson Les Paul Custom - Standard

Well I decided I want to go ahead a get a USA Gibson LP. I'm leaning towards a black LPC but I love the tops on some of the standards so I'm up in the air there. So, I'm just starting research and need some help those with any form LP/LPC's experience

What are generally the better sounding LPs?

What years should I try to avoid?

Anything else in relation to LP's would be appreciated as I really know little about them. I do know I'm not looking for one with a 20k+ price tag so I'm sticking to the 1800-2400 USD range
    shawnlutz.com

I love Black LP Custom especially with late 70's Maple necks. They are usually heavy though maple necks seem to give nice sustain and brighter tone which is perfect for HR/HM.

As for standard, Classics are nice. slim 60's neck profile.
    I have been GASing for one of these G0. Guitar Center edition of 60 reissue.
    They usually go for around 2k on ebay. Custom shop guitars if I am correct. Very nice. Plain top though.

Comment

I have black 2005 custom I've been playing since I bought it new. Mine is just a regular custom, mahogany with maple top, I assume it has the relief holes. I love this guitar, the way it sounds, the way the neck vibrates, it is a pleasure to play. I always wanted a custom and I like ebony fretboards so I didn't try out too many standards. Every LP I tried was a little different, you just have to get out and try a bunch to get a feel for what you like. The received wisdom is that the historic series, with the long neck tenion is the best sounding configuration, most accurately representing the old ones.
      Last edited by Tashtego; 12-30-2007, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Some would argue that the historic Standards have better sustain. I have an R7 (Reissue 1957) and it does have more sustain than a USA Standard, but I attribute that to the baseball bat neck, which surprisingly is easy enough to play despite its girth. Standards tend to have a fatter darker sound and Customs are fat and a bit brighter. I like the 68 Custom, but if you are into flame, if you like burst finishes the 59 or 60 Burst Standard depending on if you want a 50's or 60's neck (50's is fatter and the 60's is slim taper). If you buy a regular USA (non historic/custom shop) you will get a chambered body. That's not bad or good, it will just sound a bit different and be lighter. I don't think the chambered LP's sustain as well, but they do sound good. My advice would be to go play a few Customs, Historics and USA models to find out which ones appeal to you most sound wise.
        Last edited by Chasbo; 12-26-2007, 09:56 AM.
        "Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves!"

Comment

What size neck do you prefer? Fat or thin?

Comment

Originally posted by Chasbo View Post
            Some would argue that the historic Standards have better sustain. I have an R7 (Reissue 1957) and it does have more sustain than a USA Standard, but I attribute that to the baseball bat neck, which surprisingly is easy enough to play despite its girth. Standards tend to have a fatter darker sound and Customs are fat and a bit brighter. I like the 68 Custom, but if you are into flame, if you like burst finishes the 59 or 60 Burst Standard depending on if you want a 50's or 60's neck (50's is fatter and the 60's is slim taper). If you buy a regular USA (non historic/custom shop) you will get a chambered body. That's not bad or good, it will just sound a bit different and be lighter. I don't think the chambered LP's sustain as well, but they do sound good. My advice would be to go play a few Customs, Historics and USA models to find out which ones appeal to you most sound wise.
            My thought's exactly. I have a '57 Reissue GT with the baseball bat neck, a '68 Flametop reissue LPC (neck is very similar to a '59, not too fat and not too skinny) and an '83 Black LPC. The '83 is very nice and I have had it since 1990. Some of the later 70's are good as mentioned by Dinkyjacksonman. The mid to early 70's LP's have some cost cutting, quality issues, like 5 piece maple tops, inconsistant dimensions etc. I've had several of these years before I knew how they were supposed to be, but were not.

You almost just have to target the features you want within your budget and test some guitars out.
            Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Get a faded standard - great sound, lightweight, killer tops are available if you look around and excellent price. I've owned 3 and they all sound great. Go to the LP Forum and seek the praises.

Comment

Look for a 89-91 custom.
                The quality at that time was very good, and the bodies were still solid.
                Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Originally posted by Flatpicker View Post
                  Look for a 89-91 custom.
                  The quality at that time was very good, and the bodies were still solid.
                  Um, nope they weren't. They started chambering in the early 80's...

For some, the re-issues have the most tone and sustain because of the long neck tennon. But I think the fat neck has something to do with it as well...

If I had 2K to spend on a guitar and it had to be a Les Paul, I would look for a used R7. I dig Gold Tops and the R7's kick much ass. But they do have that baseball bat neck...

Some Customs have an all mahogany body. Which IIRC is more true to the old ones. But at some time they started putting maple tops on them....

Customs with maple necks do kick ass. Even though they are not accurate to the originals. Like someone said, they sing like no other...

Don't know if that answered your question. But really if I had 2K to spend on a "Les Paul", I'd buy a PRS. They make better "Les Pauls" now anyway...
                  I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

I know Shawn does like somewhat "Chunky" necks, so I posted the Gold Top with the other's in this family Christmas photo. It's my immediate family. What can I say!

Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal View Post
                      Um, nope they weren't. They started chambering in the early 80's...

For some, the re-issues have the most tone and sustain because of the long neck tennon. But I think the fat neck has something to do with it as well...

If I had 2K to spend on a guitar and it had to be a Les Paul, I would look for a used R7. I dig Gold Tops and the R7's kick much ass. But they do have that baseball bat neck...

Some Customs have an all mahogany body. Which IIRC is more true to the old ones. But at some time they started putting maple tops on them....

Customs with maple necks do kick ass. Even though they are not accurate to the originals. Like someone said, they sing like no other...

Don't know if that answered your question. But really if I had 2K to spend on a "Les Paul", I'd buy a PRS. They make better "Les Pauls" now anyway...
                      Oops. I meant solid compared to the 07's.
                      The PRS is a cool option, I think it's a singlecut 245 that's closest.
                      Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal65 View Post
                        I know Shawn does like somewhat "Chunky" necks, so I posted the Gold Top with the other's in this family Christmas photo. It's my immediate family. What can I say!

Hey Bengal, whats the specs on that burst on the far right??? That thing is gorgeous!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Flatpicker View Post
                          Oops. I meant solid compared to the 07's.
                          The PRS is a cool option, I think it's a singlecut 245 that's closest.
                          No worries. I typed "chambering" which is not really correct. They started drilling weight relief holes in the early 80's. Those are more "solid" than the new 07's...
                          I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

I'd love to x-ray my '92 Custom. You sayin' it's drilled out?
                            Scott
                            Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

If you're looking for something to play, I say try as many as you can from as many different eras as you can, and ignore the "not like the originals" and "not historically accurate" or "eww, Norlin-era" mumbojumbo.

In the end, it's the tone and playability and how you personally connect with it that matters most.

Unless of course you're looking for an investment piece.
                              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                              X