Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you love Gibsons..then dont read this thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you really think you can find something nice at GC? If it's nice it gets sold quickly. If not, it sits on the wall for years.

I go into GC about once a year. I feel like I'm seeing old friends, Gibsons sitting on the wall, always there, never selling year after year after year.

Yet, I've bought two new Gibsons from this store. My 1998 SG Std. had left Gibson less than 10 days before I bought it (inspection / setup date on the tag). My 2004 R0 was there less than 15 days. It's all luck - get there right after a "good" shipment and you might have something to buy.

Comment

I think the Gibsons might be more sensitive to environment because they are finished in nitro which breathes a bit. The others you mentioned are finished in lacquer probably and don't react to humidity or temp as much. Just a thought.

Originally posted by Robert Burns View Post
      ^^^ But see...i have taken them home, and not fooled with any kind
      of setup until a couple of weeks had gone by. My Eldred HRF Chavel was
      near perfect intonation.. my Jackson Dinky from 92' i didnt touch until
      6 months later! That Epi LP clone i mentioned was a nice player...the
      day it was taken home. I do agree the the GC is going to be much more
      of a circus..but still out of 5 over $1100 Gibsons i played, NOT ONE?
      That startled me... Funny now that i think about it, an import Jackson
      KE3 played pretty solid right off the wall! It had the Skull graphic, so i
      know that it must have been handled by 100 punks before me! :ROTF:

Comment

Bah... you want to know what... you walk into a store to spend 3K on a guitar, the fucker better be setup. And I don't buy the whole "Kids mishandle them thing" because They feel like shit in a lot of stores other then guitar center. Hell, even guys that I know who work at setting the things up think that Gibson has gone to complete shit. Who is going to tell you the truth? The guy who sells them, the guy who buys them, or the guy who is forced to try to make them play right? I have played a few good gibsons, when they are right, they are right. Gibson needs to face the facts, they are fucken up big time.

-Nate
        Insert annoying equipment list here....

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
          Do you really think you can find something nice at GC? If it's nice it gets sold quickly. If not, it sits on the wall for years.

I go into GC about once a year. I feel like I'm seeing old friends, Gibsons sitting on the wall, always there, never selling year after year after year.

Yet, I've bought two new Gibsons from this store. My 1998 SG Std. had left Gibson less than 10 days before I bought it (inspection / setup date on the tag). My 2004 R0 was there less than 15 days. It's all luck - get there right after a "good" shipment and you might have something to buy.
          **** Here is what bothers me about this... why do others (Ibanez,
          ESP..Schector..etc play fine at the GC? So its NOT all "GC crap...it
          just seems to be the expensive Gibsons, at least in Arizona imo

Comment

ESP..Schector..etc play fine at the GC? So its NOT all "GC crap...it
            just seems to be the expensive Gibsons, at least in Arizona imo
            Not ALL of them do. I had my hands on an Ibanez Jem a few months ago that played like garbage, and have gotten my hands on some Jackson, too, like that. I'm not saying it's all GC's fault, cause there are alot of crap Gibsons being sold out there, but I HAVE seen my share of "axe abuse", first-hand, at the two GCs in my area, and almost always by little punk-asses. It's normally not us older guys, cause we are actually there to check out gear, as opposed to these f#$*ers, who are just looking to kill time, and screw with shit.
            I'm not Ron!

Comment

Anyone who walks in the flea market which is the Guitar Center to judge guitars obviously has some false expectations.

Guitar Center is full of seconds, returns, abused and ill prepared guitars. This is Walmart of the guitar world. Just like the Jacksons hanging on the wall with the Floyd 2" off the body and binding that looks like a monkey on crack did the work etc.

Yes a Jackson custom shop "should" be as good or better than anything made, but then again so is a Gibson custom shop. The rest of them are like cars, a lemon in every bunch.

Comment

Your list of guitars is longer than your posts!
                Fwopping, you know you want to!

VI VI VI: the editor of the Beast!

There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary. Those who do and those who don't.

Comment

Huw, your post / signature ratio is also in the red on the HC meter.
                  Henrik
                  AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

ESP..Schector..etc play fine at the GC?
                    People only abuse the high end Gibsons and ignore the others?

Comment

On this side of the pond, my dealers get 5 in to try at a time and send them back if they are not up to standard. The name still sells, but over here, the junk ends up at the big chain shops which do get set up... by 21 year old college drop outs.

Comment

Can we have a moment of silence for Jeff Albertson?
                        EAOS: 28JUN09

Comment

Originally posted by jackson1 View Post
                          Huw, your post / signature ratio is also in the red on the HC meter.
                          Shush you silly Scandinavian!
                          Fwopping, you know you want to!

VI VI VI: the editor of the Beast!

There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary. Those who do and those who don't.

Comment

Working...
                          X