Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommend me a classical nylon guitar...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend me a classical nylon guitar...

Im really wanting to learn some classical. Price wise, not looking to go over 300 for a used one. I have no idea what to look for, so any help appreciated!
    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Decent classicals are THE most expensive guitars.

$300. hmmmm...better look at a Yamaha or Cordoba. The medium grade Taylors average 2k and real ones (Ramirez, Ruck, Conde, Rodriguez,etc..) start around 8 thousand and go up from there.

Randy Rhoads once said that he wished he never started on them -he spends more on classical guitars than anything else.
    Strat God Music
    http://www.esnips.com/web/Strat-God-Music/?flush=1

Comment

Whaaaaaaaaaaat?! I figured theyd be the cheapest as there really isnt much to them.

This seems like a good back for the buck? All real wood, as I dont do laminates.
      Need to find something? Let the Musician's Friend site map guide you to the products you're looking for.
      Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

La Patrie makes a beautiful classical guitar you may be able to get for ~close~ to your price on the 'bay. Very nice guitars. You'll be Sunbursting all over the place in no time.
        Last edited by jim777; 01-10-2008, 04:43 PM.
        Courtesy, Integrity, Self-control, Perseverance, Indomitable Spirit

Comment

Like this one? http://cgi.ebay.com/La-Patrie-Godin-...QQcmdZViewItem

Edit: I just looked some of the specs up... and on any of the ones Id be able to afford, the back and sides are all laminate, so theyre out.
          Last edited by RobRR; 01-10-2008, 06:09 PM.

Comment

The Alvarez ac line are in that range new and are good starters as are some of the Yamahas. You might be able to find a cy model for a little more then that used and are nice mid level student models. It can take a while to find a good used classical but you can find workable used student models around 500, just takes time. Really good student models new are 2-3000 and have most of the tone and playability of the concert models costing twice that but don't have near the projection. I once visited a store that I can't remember the name of in New York and they didn't have anything less then $10k. Classical guitars are crazy expensive.

Comment

I've been recently looking at Godin, like the AC Slim. It has a 1-7/8" wide neck instead of the normal 2 " and has some really neat features including Midi capability (like hooking up to a midi interface, Roland GI-20 or direct to a Roland GR-20). So, this neck width really helps out for primarily electric players. Of course, you are in the $900 range, but with the lower cost classical's, your going to end up with laminates for tops and sides. Another would be a used Gibson Chet Atkins CE.
              Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Ugh. I learned on a jumbo classical. Like hugging a 400 woman. Big body, short (useable) neck, wide ass nut. I don't know if it would meet your needs, but these days, if I get the urge to play one I pick up an Ovation nylon roundback. Does the trick, you could play through an amp and it's much more comfortable.

Comment

Some of the old 70's Yamaha, Greco 120's are nice budget classicals but they have no electronics. Ovation made a decent classical too in the late 70's early 80's with the preamp piezo. Hohner makes a inexpensive classical with electronics and a cutaway thats more towards a slimline body..its not bad. The Yamaha and Greco's probably have the overall best tone and playability for a budget oriented buyer. Oh, and there's the Mr Potato guitar too-never played one tho but I've heard good things.
                  Last edited by charvelguy; 01-12-2008, 10:12 PM.

Comment

+1 on the La Patrie. I own one and it's everything I need in a nylon string. It plays the shit out of some Willie Nelson.

Comment

Keep in mind, I dont plan to play out or anything like that. I really just want it as a learning tool. Frankly, my technique blows and I really think learning some classical pieces will help my playing alot!

Comment

Originally posted by RobRR View Post
                        Keep in mind, I dont plan to play out or anything like that. I really just want it as a learning tool. Frankly, my technique blows and I really think learning some classical pieces will help my playing alot!
                        If that's the case, then why rule out the laminates?
                        Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Originally posted by Flatpicker View Post
                          If that's the case, then why rule out the laminates?
                          Yeah, +1. As soon as you go out of the lower cost woods/construction like laminates, you're going into another price range.
                          Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Cause I hate the idea of having a laminated wood acoustic! Im picky like that, I dunno, kind of a personal thing. Ill probably end up with the Takamine G128S, all solid wood, $280 new.

Comment

Originally posted by RobRR View Post
                              Like this one? http://cgi.ebay.com/La-Patrie-Godin-...QQcmdZViewItem

Edit: I just looked some of the specs up... and on any of the ones Id be able to afford, the back and sides are all laminate, so theyre out.
                              Yeah, that should be fine. I would worry more about the top than the back at this price range as well. The laminated back and sides will be a little stiffer than non-laminated, which may have no other affect than to make the guitar a bit louder. The vibration of the top will give you your tone. Spruce for a more straight classical and cedar for a more flamenco feel (though I don't know if it matters at this price range, honestly, as long as you get one or the other!) A friend of mine has an old Ovation as some have mentioned, and they are pretty cool as well with big wide nuts. Just watch out for cracks in the tops on the old ones, because the chance that some moron put steel strings on it at some point in history (and damaged the top) goes up a lot with a nearly 30 year old plastic backed classical
                              Also, I put in a link to Li Jei playing "Sunburst" in my other post, so in case you missed it then here it is again

jim
                              Courtesy, Integrity, Self-control, Perseverance, Indomitable Spirit

Comment

Working...
                              X