New Gibson day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Gibson day

Bought a new Gibson Melody Maker today 1 single coil version.
    Its the washed out white color with a nice rosewood board.I hand picked this one and it smokes.
    Most of these I've been looking at the necks are a little off center looks like to me but this one is dead on even the nut is cut correctly.
    Well the plan is to route for a humbucker move the single coil to the neck position add an RS upgrade kit and a 3-way toggle.
    What do you think of my plans for it?
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

tele that bad boy ...
    ...that taste like tart, lemon yogart

Comment

I think thats a really cool idea. What about a Duncan Hot Rails to see how that sounds first? I am probably going to go the P90 route for mine. That is if I ever get tired of the little single coil it came with. It has kinda grown on me.

chuck
      "Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves!"

Comment

Well I like the single coil a lot.Very nicely voiced for a single coil and can handle the dirt well.
        Moving it to the neck position may change it a little but it paired with a Humbucker in the bridge it should sound great.
        I'm impressed with this guitar overall ,no QC issues at all.
        It was only $299.00.

Comment

I'm going to try a SD little 59 first and an RS upgrade kit,then see if I want to go full bore with routing for the humbucker.
          I have several Gibson classic 57's that need a home so they may end up in there sometime.
          These guitars are such a great bang for the buck and play like a dream.

Comment

Polish that turd!

J/K
            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Eat me Ron!!! J/K I said that with a smile.

Comment

GREAT guitars! Here's mine. I replaced the pickup with a Dimarzio Super Distortion-S and sanded down the back of the neck.

I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Wow, nice job on that neck Tim!

I played mine for a couple of hours last night doing some basic blues rock and straight blues. It's a handy little guitar for that stuff. Sounds amazing through the plexi channel on my POD. I play alot of FREE tunes through this guitar and just love it for that.
                  "Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves!"

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                    I'm going to try a SD little 59 first
                    I have a Little 59 in my Tele bridge and it kicks all kinds of ass
                    the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

I usually cringe when people talk about sanding paint off a neck, but that looks to be a nice clean job there!

Comment

I have a very nice beater Hohner Gibby type that had a very painted neck. I scraped all the shit off. Not as nice as you did. It made a tremendous difference playability-wise.
                        I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                          I usually cringe when people talk about sanding paint off a neck, but that looks to be a nice clean job there!
                          That's a couple pieces of the blue masking tape and about 20 minutes of sanding. The finish on those guitars is really cheap so it comes right off.

- Newc

Comment

Roy at RS guitarworks is not sure what Gibson is using for paint on these guitars but clear or ambered lacquer just sits on top and wants to flake off.He said lacquer thinner has a hard time removing this paint.
                            Tim that looks killer.

Comment

I didn't use any chemicals - just 220 to remove the paint, then 320, 400, 600, 800, some oil, repeat 600, 800.

- Newc

Comment

Working...
                              X