Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why bolt on signature guitars?

Any thoughts on why most rock artists use bolt on neck guitars if they are
    not a Les Paul junkie? Steve Vai, Satriani, Nuno, Reb Beach, Eddie, Yngwie, Lynch, DeMartini, Phil Collen, Jake E Lee ..........the list goes on. Come to think of it,,,my guitar collection (many of them signature models)is all bolt on necks too, except for my Les Paul. Even my Jackson is a DK-1. Is it because of the "super strat" concept? Is there really an "airy" feel to a bolt on compared to a neck through? My only neck through is an old sentimental JB Player I got in junior high that taught me how to play,,,and it needs major work, and is no fair comparison to my high end guitars.

beats me. i know i prefer bolt ons....
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I've wondered that myself. I'm guessing that, since bolt-ons have traditionally been cheaper than neck-throughs, they were easier to get when these guys were starting out, so that is what they grew up with/grew comfortable with. But that's just my speculation.

Comment

Originally posted by quiksilver View Post
        I've wondered that myself. I'm guessing that, since bolt-ons have traditionally been cheaper than neck-throughs, they were easier to get when these guys were starting out, so that is what they grew up with/grew comfortable with. But that's just my speculation.
        +1 They also were easier to modify or "Hot Rod".
        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Nothing beats a bolt-on for pure aggressive tone. IMHO. They "bite" like none other. So I think that's why rock and metal guys love them...

Show me a jazz player with a signature bolt-on? I think it's the music they play more than anything...
          I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

Isn't availability a factor here? I mean, how many neck-thru metal guitars did you have to choose from in the early 80's?

Comment

i think its just prefferance. I know that I prefer a bolt on over a neck through or set neck any day of the week
              My Guitars
              Hohner HW-200 (Natrual Grain)
              Slammer By Hamer XP-1 Standard (Wine Red)
              Kramer 1984 Custom (Bullseye Black)
              Squier Affinity Series P-Bass (Black)
              Epiphone Les Paul Classic (Black)
              Takamine EG531SSC (Black)
              Kramer Vanguard S-440S
              Kramer Proaxe Standard (Black Sparkle)
              Epiphone Zakk Wylde Les Paul Custom (Camo)
              Kramer F-1000 (Black)
              Ibanez RG-370 (Urban Digital Camo)

Comment

Bolt ons are so easy to modify if needed, you can shim the neck if you want you the Floyd set higher etc..... If you are needing to replace a neck for any reason is easy etc... Bolt Ons Rule!
                Shibs

Two Reasons Why It's So Hard To Solve A Redneck Murder:

1. The DNA all matches.

2. There are no dental records.

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal View Post
                  Nothing beats a bolt-on for pure aggressive tone. IMHO. They "bite" like none other. So I think that's why rock and metal guys love them...

Show me a jazz player with a signature bolt-on? I think it's the music they play more than anything...
                  I'd agree with that.

Allan Holdsworth played bolt-ons back in the day. None of the traditional jazz players come to mind though.

Comment

Bolt ons for me too I love em'.They have the snap not found in a neck thru.
                    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Mike Stern?
                      Michael Lee Firkins?
                      Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by lynchfan6 View Post
                        Any thoughts on why most rock artists use bolt on neck guitars if they are
                        not a Les Paul junkie? Steve Vai, Satriani, Nuno, Reb Beach, Eddie, Yngwie, Lynch, DeMartini, Phil Collen, Jake E Lee ..........the list goes on. Come to think of it,,,my guitar collection (many of them signature models)is all bolt on necks too, except for my Les Paul. Even my Jackson is a DK-1. Is it because of the "super strat" concept? Is there really an "airy" feel to a bolt on compared to a neck through? My only neck through is an old sentimental JB Player I got in junior high that taught me how to play,,,and it needs major work, and is no fair comparison to my high end guitars.
                        A lot of those guys were playing modified versions of existing guitars - easy to make an Yngwie model, take the worlds most famous guitar, scallop the fretboard and change pick ups - viola! Vai's guitars are just a MUCH better built RG, Ibanez had the 540 radius before it became the Joe Satriani, Jake E. Lee played bolt on charvels, then copies by ESP. It seems extremely rare that a company develops a new guitar just for an artist, just variations of something already in production that they can sell for an assload more.

At least the archtop neck through Phil Collen, the Phil Demmel, the Mark Morton are all unique to the the Jackson family, but still fit well with the standard production line of guitars too.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                          Isn't availability a factor here? I mean, how many neck-thru metal guitars did you have to choose from in the early 80's?
                          I think that is certainly part of it. A lot of the "newer" players on the ESP roster have neck-thru or set-neck sig guitars.

Comment

Not a lot of neck thrus when these guys started out so they were used to playing bolt-ons.

Comment

Yep I agree with this also and the comment on "snap" compared to a neck through.

I buy bolt ons period. They growl more. I also prefer the feel of the neck over a neck through.

The big names in rock have enough dough to buy any guitar they want. I don't think it has anything to do with neck replacement or development from other guitars. These guys prefer bolt ons for a reason.
                              PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

Working...
                              X