No announcement yet.

Why bolt on signature guitars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So beside the guys from Slayer, what are the players that have neck thru sig models?
    '87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
    '81 Kramer Pacer Standard
    custom made Les Paul
    VOX Tonelab LE
    Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!
    ADA MP1
    BBE 422A
    Lexicon MPX-G2
    ADA Microtube 100

AFFA
    Support Your Local 81

Comment

Also one other factor, if you snap a headstock on a bolt you can change it out quick. Vai I now keeps three or four necks with him on the road just for that reason. If you snap a headstock on a set neck or neck through then you have to glue it or send it in for repair.
      In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Comment

If you count set-neck guitars in with neck-through construction, there are a lot of players with set-neck signatures:

PRS: Santana and David Grissom (DGT)

Gibson: anyone with a signature Les Paul, like Gary Moore, John Skyes, Neal Schon, etc. Angus Young and Pete Townshend have signature SG's as does Tony Iommi. Alvin Lee and Larry Carlton have signature ES-series guitars.

Fender: Robben Ford

Warrior: Rick Derringer
        Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

Originally posted by El Chiguete View Post
          So beside the guys from Slayer, what are the players that have neck thru sig models?

Anyway, to get back on topic. The most of the players named in this thread started out playing Fender guitars or guitars built to the Fender principle and when they were offered a signature model they probably would have showed their old Fender to the guys making the offer and said "Make it like this, copy the feel of the neck and try to make it sound just like that."

We guitarplayers are a conservative breed, comfortable with what we're familiar with. If you wre offered an endorsement with whatever company and a signature instrument to match, would you just go with a stock model of the range or would you present them with your number one instrument and say "Make it play and sound like this please."

Comment

The bolt-ons have more bite in their tone, but I always prefer the solid feel of neck-thru guitars. It just makes me feel like a king
            I wish my hair-color was EDS :/

Comment

ESP:
              Alexi Laiho
              Kirk Hammet
              Gus G
              Jeff Hanneman
              Steph Carpenter
              Page Hamilton
              Max Cavaler
              Rob Arnod
              Matt Devries
              Michael Paget

This does not include the "Set Thru" sigs

BC Rich
              Kerry King
              Chuck Shuldiner (RIP)

Comment

Hey don't forget Friedman and Mustaine in the Jackson neck-thru camp.

Comment

Shit my bad, I thought the Jackson stuff was a given!!! Also there are the new Deans like the ulgy ass Trivium V, the VMNT, the Rust Cooley, etc

Comment

Schecter sigs also seem to be mostly set-neck (Jeff Loomis, Avenged Sevenfold, The Cure)...

Comment

Kevin Bond

If I were to have a sig guitar, it would be a neck thru. I have great bolt ons, but I just can't get it out of my mind that a neck thru is a superior guitar. The sticky neck BS doesn't fly with me because I have dry hands

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                        Kevin Bond

If I were to have a sig guitar, it would be a neck thru. I have great bolt ons, but I just can't get it out of my mind that a neck thru is a superior guitar. The sticky neck BS doesn't fly with me because I have dry hands
                        Neck-thru guitars with oiled necks....that's where it is at! Hard to find, though.

Comment

Neck thrus are not superior guitars - please not another thread on this topic!
                          PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

Neck-thrus are more expensive. So it feels like it has more prestige. And that's it. And I prefer neckthrus.
                            I wish my hair-color was EDS :/

Comment

OK I'm not going to comment on the whole neck-thru vs. bolt-on debate

....except to say that neck-thrus have more sustain!

Comment

all of those guys mentioned in the first post play what are basically hot rod strats. i think it also has to do with the thin shredder necks. you dont find neck thru with necks that thin usually. also alot of them started or played mutts customized for them, its much harder to do with neckthrus. i like this body wood this neck with this profile, bolton much easier to get the specs where a neck thru would have to be built like that from the start.

Comment

Working...
                                X