new Robin Medley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new Robin Medley

After getting rid of all my guitars with floyds a while back, I recently had a bout of extreme gas for a floyded guitar and finally caved:

it's a 1992 USA Robin Medley Special; swamp ash body, maple/rosewood neck with a reallly comfy thin (but not too thin) and wide neck.

I had only very briefly played a robin in a shop before this and thought it was nice but forgot about the brand until I got the floyd bug recently and started looking into 25.5" scale, bolt-on H-S guitars. I have to say, this is a REALLY nice guitar, especially for the price (not so sure about the purple pickup, but that wasn't stock and is an easy swap). From what I've seen, Robins are overall really excellent guitars for the money if anyone else is looking for such things

yeah ive played a few of them i liked them alot. that looks great congrats & ditch the purple pup

Comment

Those guitars do intrigue me. Looks like a nice one but I agree - get a different-colored pickup.

Congrats on the new guitar!
      Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

I've always dug those Robins as well...

Another vote for a pickup swap...
        I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

Nice man, I had a seafoam green one back in the early 90's, nice player.
          Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

Kick Arse Guitars!

I have this one on the way

and I also have these including a twin of yours...also a 92

Drive Fast Cars & Play Cool Guitars!!!

Comment

Cool. Always loved the Robin headstock.

Comment

Rockin' Robins!

Really good guitars... rumored to have ESP necks on some versions.
                The owner of the music store I used to work at had three axes he would never allow out of his sight... and early cherry '70 LP, a white Model 4, and his Yellow Robin Medley.
                All three were outstanding instruments.
                Congrats!
                Hey xbolt, nice collection!!!
                "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
                --floydkramer

Comment

That reverse body is freaky looking and the headstock is kinda strange to. Cool collection of Robins.
                  Just one more guitar!

Comment

The Gold one is a 21 fret Tokai built Robin
                    The Natural and Black Medleys are Texas Built
                    The "reverse" Raider I is ESP built Robin

Comment

Congrats on the Robin. I've always loved those guitars. Especiallly the ones with the
                      offset V headstocks.

Comment

This one just oozes mojo !! Love it !
                        Look Up...Get Up...And Never EVER Give Up...

Comment

Originally posted by xbolt View Post
                          and I also have these including a twin of yours...also a 92
                          nice! I noticed there's yet another sibling on ebay right now:

Originally posted by nhspike View Post
                          Rockin' Robins!

Really good guitars... rumored to have ESP necks on some versions.
                          I think they were originally built in japan by tokai, then by ESP, and then in the late 80s (? early 90s?) they moved production to texas.

Originally posted by xbolt View Post
                          The Gold one is a 21 fret Tokai built Robin
                          The Natural and Black Medleys are Texas Built
                          The "reverse" Raider I is ESP built Robin
                          aha! there we go, the full spectrum of origins

I'm still tweaking the setup, but I have a feeling this will become a go-to guitar, the neck is reallly nice. very well built as well. I'm not a huge fan of the pickups (aside from the color of the purple one..) It's a tone zone in the bridge and some crazy hot PJ marx blade thingy in the neck. Anyone have pickup recommendations for a swamp ash/maple bolt on? I used to have an alder/maple charvel bolt-on with a duncan custom in the bridge and really like that... what do you have in your medley special, xbolt?

Comment

I put a JB in it which sounds good but I have a whack of JBs in other guitars.
                            The black Medley has a Duncan Custom TB which is just amazing in Ash!!!

I have a vintage DMZ SD on it's way which I'm gonna try vs the JB just to see...I bet an old Schaller 2in1 would sound good too

Comment

the one at the top is pretty nice actually

Comment

Working...
                              X