Japanese Candy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Japanese Candy

I have been on the fence about possibly picking up either an ESP George Lynch model or an Ibanez JEM Steve Vai model - I don't have any experience with either brand - Since I have always been primarily a Jackson/Charvel player, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know anything about the Ibanez Jem, But the ESP stuff is good, I have two old school Lynch models and I like them. Maple Bodies... there cool!
    Shibs

Two Reasons Why It's So Hard To Solve A Redneck Murder:

1. The DNA all matches.

2. There are no dental records.

Comment

In addition to my USA Jackson and several other USA guitars, I own an ESP m-ii (sorry, never played a Lynch model,,,maybe someday) and a Jem 7vwh. All I can say is that, to me, they are equally amazing guitars......designed for effortless playability. I'm very happy to own them, and use them a lot. I really couldn't recommend one over the other........I definitely enjoy having both in my collection, and I like them as much as my USA guitars.
      Last edited by lynchfan6; 02-17-2008, 10:22 PM.

Comment

Be careful with ESP, they use "extra jumbo" frets and I hated them. The Ibanez frets are similar to Jackson.

Comment

M-II's kick ass. Best bolties EVAH in my opinion (Jackson makes the best neck-thru's of course)

Comment

Charvel makes a pretty kickass bolt-on IMHO (both then and now!).

As concerns the models that you are looking at, go with the Lynch if you like a heavier guitar (I am not sure about now, but they were traditionally made with maple and weigh in the les paul range) and the Jem if you prefer lighter. Also, the Jems tend to have a thinner profile neck in my experirence which bothers some people. They are kind of different animals IMHO so I would recomend playing before you buy.
            "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

Originally posted by RR05xx View Post
              Charvel makes a pretty kickass bolt-on IMHO (both then and now!).

As concerns the models that you are looking at, go with the Lynch if you like a heavier guitar (I am not sure about now, but they were traditionally made with maple and weigh in the les paul range) and the Jem if you prefer lighter. Also, the Jems tend to have a thinner profile neck in my experirence which bothers some people. They are kind of different animals IMHO so I would recomend playing before you buy.

plus 100, i for one dont like the necks on JEMs at all. the guitarplayer in my old band had a early floral pattern JEM, i didnt like it. i also thought it sounded kind of thin & almost sterile compared to the guitars i had. at least for rhythms. ive had a few older ESPs i liked em. but try them both they are completely different animals.

Comment

Working...
              X