Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I save myself $2800 and didn't realize it!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I save myself $2800 and didn't realize it!

Judging by the guitar being sold at Matt's Music Center, (and by no means anything negative to him,) I didn't realize I saved myself $2800 by what I put together a few months ago. Here is the Charvel I am referring to:

Here is the guitar from the Charvel website:

And here is one of my projects:

This guitar I put together using an old Fender USA neck I've had for years along with a "Made in Japan Fender" strat body. Electronics are simple. A Duncan Screamon Demon p/u wired to a 1 meg pot! It does what the pickup says...it screams! It's topped off with all black hardware including Grover tuners. I know it doesn't have a Floyd, but I'm one of the wierd ones who likes the Vintage Strat bridge better!!! It's even got the same White Pearl pickguard! I also didn't realize I would be so prophetic! (Hmmm...maybe they stole my idea!!!):ROTF:

Anyway...thanks for your time. Keep rocking everyone!!!
    Last edited by jrnic; 02-28-2008, 09:39 PM.
    Guitars:
    Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
    1988 Model 2,
    Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
    RR3
    Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
    1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
    2005 SG Special

Yours is pretty cool but that Charvel at Matts is the shit man. Love the color and matching headstock.

What kind of USA neck is that?
    I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

cool guitar and all, but we're not talkin' apples to apples, here. but i'm with ya on preferring a v-trem! say it loud and proud!

sully
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

your point is well taken. no one needs to spend 2K or more on a bolt on guitar. especially a one hum strat. that is just crazy.
        the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Originally posted by skorb View Post
          your point is well taken. no one needs to spend 2K or more on a bolt on guitar. especially a one hum strat. that is just crazy.
          Yes... that was my point. That Charvel is killer though, but I still can not see myself spending that kind of scratch for it especially since I have a wife, kids and a mortgage to support!

If I had disposable income, I would be all over that though. There is just something about a 1 hum / 1 knob Strat! I actually got the idea for this project when I saw those 1 humbucker 25th Aniv. Cherry sunburst Charvel Strats. That one I would "almost" kill for!

Thanks for the comments. As for the USA neck....I'm not too sure. I picked it up years ago at a small guitar shop on Long Island. All I know is that it was from a USA Strat that had been modified for a Floyd Rose locking nut. The guy went back to a traditional bridge and got a new neck and traded it in to the shop I got it from. I picked up one of those "conversion" large nuts that takes up the space of the locking nut. The neck has "Made in USA" stamped into the heel, just visable above the neck joint. It's one of the smoothest necks I have ever had. That's why I just had to put it on a body so I can still play it.
          Guitars:
          1988 Model 2,
          RR3
          1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
          2005 SG Special

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post
            but i'm with ya on preferring a v-trem! say it loud and proud!

sully
            Yes....Floyds are nice but give me a vintage trem anytime. I'm not a trem user very much, and if I use it, it's mostly to give a note a little "warble" now and then. Don't need the big complicated Floyd to do that!

DISCLAIMER: I have not, will not or will ever trash a Floyd Rose trem. I own 5 guitars with them and I do like them. The vintage trem opinion is my own and does not reflect the opinions of the producers of this sho....sorry got a little carried away there. BOTTOM LINE: I don't dislike them I just like the others a little better.
            Guitars:
            1988 Model 2,
            RR3
            1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
            2005 SG Special

Comment

jrnic,
              It's strange to see a recent USA neck with only 21 frets unless it's off a reissue or something. Since the 80's USA necks have had 22 frets. Does it have the serial number on the neck?

I'm just curious, I don't think it's a fake or anything like that. It's a cool guitar no doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal View Post
                jrnic,
                It's strange to see a recent USA neck with only 21 frets unless it's off a reissue or something. Since the 80's USA necks have had 22 frets. Does it have the serial number on the neck?

I'm just curious, I don't think it's a fake or anything like that. It's a cool guitar no doubt.
                There are quite a few 21 fret USA strats available. For instance the Vintage reissues, as well as most of the artist models such as the John Mayer, the Eric Johnson and the SRV models all have only 21.

Comment

jrnic,

The neck was purchased when my son was 2 or 3 yrs old. I remember because he was with me when I bought it. Anyway he is 15 now so it was quite a few years ago. As for the serial number on it, I did a search on Fender's Frontline site and found out it was manufactured in 1989 or 1990. As a matter of fact here is what I cut and pasted from their serial number chart:

"A limited number of these "I" series guitars were made in 1989 and 1990. They were made for the export market and have "Made in USA" stamped on the neck heel."

My neck is an "I" series number and it has the "MADE IN USA" stamped in the back on the heel.

Thanks for the comment. I am really getting a kick out of playing it right now. I know the "Demon" pickup is not very high output like I'm used to but it cranks out a nice growl if you know what I mean.
                  Guitars:
                  1988 Model 2,
                  RR3
                  1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
                  2005 SG Special

Comment

Originally posted by åron View Post
                    There are quite a few 21 fret USA strats available. For instance the Vintage reissues, as well as most of the artist models such as the John Mayer, the Eric Johnson and the SRV models all have only 21.
                    That's why I said something about Reissues in my post about the neck.

Ah, a rare I series neck. I've read about these. I don't know what they were used for. But I remember reading about USA necks made for the export market.

Comment

That's why I said something about Reissues in my post about the neck.

Ah, a rare I series neck. I've read about these. I don't know what they were used for. But I remember reading about USA necks made for the export market.
                      Rare, Really? Cool. I've almost sold this neck a few times over the years but always stopped short of doing it because it feels so darn nice. I know it's probably not worth much since, like I said, there was a Floyd nut cut into it. Where did you read about it?
                      Guitars:
                      1988 Model 2,
                      RR3
                      1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
                      2005 SG Special

Comment

Originally posted by jrnic View Post
                        Rare, Really? Cool. I've almost sold this neck a few times over the years but always stopped short of doing it because it feels so darn nice. I know it's probably not worth much since, like I said, there was a Floyd nut cut into it. Where did you read about it?
                        Back on the old Fender Forum there was a heated discussion about these necks. A lot of Fender Know It Alls claim these are about as USA Made as the ESP made Kramers. Their though was that if it was a MIA neck, they would put that on the headstock. Since they "hid" it in the neck pocket some claim that says that is not really USA Made. Also since it was for the overseas market some thought that meant that they were not MIA.

The serial number doesn't follow the normal Fender type numbering. They started in the 70's using the S at the begining, S stands for Seventies. So S9XXXX meant a 79. E6XXXX meant 86. N4XXX means 94. Z2XXX means 2002. So since the necks didn't follow that numeric sequence some thought that proved the were MIJ instead of MIA.

But the consensus is what you said. MIA for the overseas market. That seems strange to me but a lot of stuff Fender did seems strange to me.

And they are somewhat rare. Doesn't make them worth a ton but you don't see a lot of them. Some don't like them because of the 21 frets.

Comment

Wow...thanks for the info. True, though, Fender did a lot of "diffferent" things back then. I knew it wasn't really worth too much. If it was, I never would have found it! Luck like that usually turns around and runs away before I come along! Thanks again for the info.
                          Guitars:
                          1988 Model 2,
                          RR3
                          1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
                          2005 SG Special

Comment

Working...
                          X