Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Keeping the new guit a day thing going...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Go on you fucker!
    Fwopping, you know you want to!

VI VI VI: the editor of the Beast!

There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary. Those who do and those who don't.

Comment

Can I join the party? I saw one on the bay in mint condition w/ OHSC listed as an Elite and not Elitist, and sniped it for around $600. The build quality on it is pretty good, I'm digging it. What's up with the saddles though? They are really tall and are like knife blades digging into my hand. I may have to swap that TOM out. It's pretty badass by Epiphone standards I must say.

Comment

sick motherfucker!!

Comment

Originally posted by sonicsamurai View Post
          sick motherfucker!!
          Kickass, I found a strap in my closet that goes handsomely with it! :ROTF:

Comment

Haha!!

I have a question for you Elitist owners - what are the inlays made of? Are they MOP? IIRC the Epi website says they are pearl, but I've never actually played one, and a lot of pics online look like they could go either way... (the other way being pearloid )

Comment

Belly cut makes it for me.
              Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

Originally posted by slash-ed View Post
                Haha!!

I have a question for you Elitist owners - what are the inlays made of? Are they MOP? IIRC the Epi website says they are pearl, but I've never actually played one, and a lot of pics online look like they could go either way... (the other way being pearloid )
                The mother of pearl has more color to it? If so, I'd say these are pearl then.

Comment

Awesome guitar! I've wanted to try one of these out for awhile and now I have a GAS attack! Congrats.

Comment

Hey Danastas, how is the honeymoon with yours going? Mine has got "the goods", this is an unbelievably fun guitar. The neck is nice and smooth, not like a Gibby that gets all sticky on you. Other than the saddles being a bit uncomfortable, I haven't found a defect on mine (and no the "pink color" is not a defect ).

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                      Hey Danastas, how is the honeymoon with yours going? Mine has got "the goods", this is an unbelievably fun guitar. The neck is nice and smooth, not like a Gibby that gets all sticky on you. Other than the saddles being a bit uncomfortable, I haven't found a defect on mine (and no the "pink color" is not a defect ).
                      Great freakin' guitar. Let me tell you, I've been through a lot of Gib LPs in the last few years. I love them, but I always have small complaints. If it wasn't one thing, it was another. Inlays popping up, jags of frets over the board, fretboard splitting. I feel so good about this one that I'm modding it. It's a player. New pups, and definitely new hardware.

Now, since I've done the legwork on this already, I'll tell you the only way to upgrade the bridge and tailpiece is to ignore everything people advise you to do. People told me to buy the metric bridge from Gotoh or Tone Pros. No!! This is not like other Epi Les Pauls. This one has an ABR bridge with a thin post, USA style. A Gotoh ABR with thin posts will suit you or a Tone Pros AVR2n. Both are pricey ($35 for Gotoh and $49 for TP). The only problem with the Gotoh is that it comes in Chrome, not Nickel.

As for the tailpiece, the metric threads work on that but I'm not going to bother replacing the studs. Any stop tailpiece will fit into the studs already in the top. You don't have to worry as much there.

I was going to change the pots because I'm putting in 4-conductor Lollar Imperials that I scored cheap off EBAY. I wanted to coil split. But now I'm thinking this over again because the people at RS Guitarworks advised me that I would need to buy new speedknobs (cream would look cool) and also drill out the top holes a bit since the knobs/pots on our Elitists are metric. Lots of work.

So, I may just pop in a bridge and tailpiece and leave it at that. I already switched the busy truss rod cover to a blank one.
                      Last edited by danastas; 06-19-2008, 10:22 PM.

Comment

The Tone Pros AVR2n comes in nickel? I'm really interested in that. Are those a bit less jagged feeling on your right hand? I seem to be snapping strings on mine, so my TOM might also be biting into the strings. So what is the logic behind swapping out the stop tailpiece? Mine doesn't seem to be doing any harm back there.

I can give you a source for that fur strap if there's any interest!

EDIT: I see now that the AVR2n is a nickel part. Sweet.
                        Last edited by Axewielder; 06-19-2008, 10:58 PM.

Comment

The stock tailpiece is very thin (less metal, kinda weak).

I held an upgraded tailpiece against the stock one, and you could easily see the new one had 1/3 more metal. It makes a difference, meatier sound.

Typically, I'd never change out a Gibson stock bridge. I think they are just fine. But I did notice that the Epis trim costs on their bridges/tailpieces.

A store called "Beyond.. something.. sells the AVR2n for $49. Saw that as I was searching around the other day. You'll find it if you search for AVR2n on Google shopping.

Comment

What's the P/N on the TonePros tailpiece that fits?

Comment

Any stop tailpiece will fit, American or metric. So will a Gotoh, which is cheaper.

The only bonus with the Tone Pro metric standard tailpiece is that you get the two studs and bushings that are metric threaded. They'll fit right into the holes/bushings that are already there. But they are really not all that necessary.

Here are the TonePros: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...6&src=3SOSWXXA

Here are the Gotohs:

Only difference between them is that the TonePros lock onto your studs and don't move. $25 extra for that.

Comment

Sweet, I found both TonePros parts in nickel. I got them from http://www.darrenriley.com/, who I've ordered from before and is great to work with. The price was a bit higher than what you found, but hey...I'm already way under budget on the guitar price!

Order Summary
                                --------------------------
                                1 - [tpT1ZN] TonePros T1Z-N Metric Tailpiece - Nickel @ $52.50

1 - [tpAVR2-N] TonePros AVR2-N Tune-O-Matic bridge - Nickel @ $64.00
                                _________________________________________________
                                "Artists should be free to spend their days mastering their craft so that working people can toil away in a more beautiful world."
                                - Ken M

Comment

Working...
                                X