Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Keeping the new guit a day thing going...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well crap, I've got the AVR2-N bridge, and it doesn't fit on the stock bridge posts. It looks like the stock ones have a slightly larger diameter than the TonePros ones. I don't think I can install the TonePros posts because of this. I can't even try that because the stock ones are locktite'd in there or something. Halp!

Comment

Well TonePros told me to shim the body and install the smaller posts, but I decided to drill the bridge itself. I spent a lot of time on it, and it came out pretty good.

Comment

Very nice, excellent.

Now you can tell TonePros to drill it themselves next time for us Elitist owners.

I'm thinking that Cream Pups and Cream Dimarzio knobs would make my guitar look like an ice cream. I may just do it!!

Comment

Originally posted by danastas View Post
          Very nice, excellent.

Now you can tell TonePros to drill it themselves next time for us Elitist owners.
          I actually emailed them, and they responded that the T3BP or the TP6 TOM's would fit on those posts. True statement?

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
            I actually emailed them, and they responded that the T3BP or the TP6 TOM's would fit on those posts. True statement?
            This is what their ad says: "The T3BP locking bridge has a standard small post and standard threaded insert."

Now, if those threads are standard small post, then the same problem will occur, as that's the same description as their AV2rn.

I got the recommendation for the AV2rn from the Epiphone Elitist forum where everyone went with the AV2rn.

It makes me wonder if anyone there tried the other bridges. Supposedly, the AV2rn is constructed for "tightness" whatever the heck that means. That's the main difference between this bridge and the others.

Comment

Well the AVR2N is pretty killer. It feels smoother on the right hand. One bummer is that the saddles aren't notched, a fact which I didn't consider. Maybe I'll start a thread in Tech Q&A to try to figure out the right technique for notching these bad boys.

Comment

I figured the notching part out. I used the technique of putting a set of sacrificial strings on, tapping them down lightly with a punch and small hammer, and working a wound string back and forth in the punch marks to remove burrs and give a rounded surface for the strings to sit on. I know you can get all advanced with jeweler's files and nut files, but this approach didn't require my to purchase any new tools. Done deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                  I figured the notching part out. I used the technique of putting a set of sacrificial strings on, tapping them down lightly with a punch and small hammer, and working a wound string back and forth in the punch marks to remove burrs and give a rounded surface for the strings to sit on. I know you can get all advanced with jeweler's files and nut files, but this approach didn't require my to purchase any new tools. Done deal.
                  That's the method luthiers use.

At least I know mine does, and Erlewhine's book recommends doing it the same way.

Hope the improvements are noticeable. I know mine sings better. Hasn't really improved the sound but definitely more sustain and the Lollar Imperials, while not a huge improvement over the Burst buckers, have a clearer bottom end. I'd say the Burstbuckers are really good pups by comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by danastas View Post
                    That's the method luthiers use.

At least I know mine does, and Erlewhine's book recommends doing it the same way.

Hope the improvements are noticeable. I know mine sings better. Hasn't really improved the sound but definitely more sustain and the Lollar Imperials, while not a huge improvement over the Burst buckers, have a clearer bottom end. I'd say the Burstbuckers are really good pups by comparison.
                    Erlewine is the man! I took his advice on the stop bar, and raised it 1/8" to take pressure off of the TOM. I'm digging the bridge! One advantage of the locking bolts on the TOM is that because of where they are placed, you can move the bridge toward the neck or towards the bridge about 4/100" as desired, depending on whether you reverse it or not. This makes a difference with the limited saddle travel on a vintage-style TOM, as far as getting the intonation dead-nuts on. The lock nuts on the stop bar are kind of nice, because when I take the strings off, it doesn't fly off and scrape the body. Minor details to be sure, but hey that's what it's all about! Oh, the saddles on the TonePros TOM are lower and smoother, and don't cut into my right hand at all. Saweeeeet.

Comment

Finally finished all the mods on this one. It looks fruitier but better.

Lollar Imperials, TonePros bridge and tailpiece, RS Guitarworks upgrades, Dimarzio Creme knobs, even a plain bell truss rod cover instead of the JJ French.

Very happy with it.

Comment

They just need pink Pups , rings and knobs now

Comment

Originally posted by Mikernaut2 View Post
                          They just need pink Pups , rings and knobs now
                          I had that option, believe me, but I decided to go for an Ice Cream Man theme.

Comment

Working...
                          X