ZR Trem Curiosity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ZR Trem Curiosity

Driven by curiosity for the Ibanez ZR trem, I scored this a couple of months ago:

Trem is nice... pretend a Kahler and an Edge had a baby.

Stock pickups were kinda... well... very dark sounding to me... pehaps the mahogany body had something to do with that.

Anyhow, I swapped some "vintage" Ibanez V1/V2 pickups in last week, and boy what a difference.

Really a player now... anything from Metal to Jazz.

Made in Korea is the new made in Japan it would seem, at least with Ibanez.

Neck is right up there with the Petrucci model I sold a few months back.

Spikey likey!

"Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
    --floydkramer

The new one that is MIJ is the 24 Fret Prestige. Al the others are still Korean. I think the ZRs feel nice, but I would be concerned Ibanez used it's design to put crap materials on it, if the fact the part where the bar goes in has a lot problems breaking is an indication. Glad you like it!

Comment

I really want to try one of those. The Blue quilted model with matching headstock looks great, or the MIJ prestige (I think it's S5470 ?).

Comment

Nice guitar!

I'm getting a little weary of the flat finishes though, and I have a new guitar with the flat finish on the way... Seems a shame to buy a $950 guitar with a half-assed finish. But it'll be shiny eventually! "Poor man's relic-ing".

Comment

Originally posted by chrisolson View Post
          Nice guitar!

I'm getting a little weary of the flat finishes though, and I have a new guitar with the flat finish on the way... Seems a shame to buy a $950 guitar with a half-assed finish. But it'll be shiny eventually! "Poor man's relic-ing".
          Thanks dudes.
          Yeah, I'm with you Chris... the finish is blah.
          I'm thinking a big red star will look cool on there.
          --floydkramer

Comment

Originally posted by nhspike View Post
            Thanks dudes.
            Yeah, I'm with you Chris... the finish is blah.
            I'm thinking a big red star will look cool on there.
            YES!!! Fighter graphics!!

Comment

I almost bought one of those awhile ago, those trems are really cool

Comment

Well I saw a gloss black one in GC today and tried the trem out. I don't know if it was fucked up from being in GC but the thing was pretty stiff even with the spring tension adjusted all the way down.

Other than that it was nice and stayed in tune very well. I wasn't about to pay $600+ for a plain black guitar with no inlays and made in Korea though.

Comment

Yeah troy, that tension bar with the two springs has to go (in the back).
                  Then she sets up nice and floating with a very easy touch.
                  First thing I did.
                  Then the pickups.
                  --floydkramer

Comment

Oh so you just removed the whole thing?

Doesn't that make it so you can no longer tune individual strings without affecting the other 5?

Also, yeah, those INF pickups are piles of shit.

The neck and fretwork felt good though - better than the $850 Schecter with OFR and real EMG's.

Comment

Yes, kinda makes it a standard Floyd/Floating style, but with the neato spring-tension adjustment wheel.

It's just a bar, and two springs.

Comes of in 2 seconds.

I agree on the neck... super nice.
                      --floydkramer

Comment

Working...
                      X