Please Help - Need Immediate Feedback )(chaparell Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please Help - Need Immediate Feedback )(chaparell Again

Ok. It's the Hamer Chaparell again. The guy offered to trade me the Chaparell for my EC-1000 and my Jackson DKMG.

It's 2 of my guitars for one of his. On the other hand, the Chaparell from what I gather is on the rare side, is USA made and is unique. It's an S-S-H config with Seymour Duncans. One important note, the Hamer is a Bolt-on. I thought it was a set-neck, but it's a bolt on. Stil I played it and was a really good guitar.

I am heading out of town tomorrow morning and would like to make a descision tonight. Thanks!
    13' Gibson Les Paul Trad Pro ii - Alpine White
    05' Gibson Les Paul Classic - Ebony
    USA Jackson SL-2
    USA Jackson SL-1
    Peavey Valveking ii 20MH
    Marshall 1965A 4x10
    Marshall 1960AV 4x12

You need immediate help?
    Are you okay?
    Oh...you just need some advice on a swap/deal, its really not urgent, either way you will be okay regardless.
    Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Originally posted by Soap View Post
      You need immediate help?
      Are you okay?
      Oh...you just need some advice on a swap/deal, its really not urgent, either way you will be okay regardless.
      Ok. I overstated!! Anyway, if I made a trade like that I'd like some input from people more knowledgeable than myself. I'd hate to give away two guitars and then regret it later. On the other hand I'd hate to loose out on the Chaparell and then find out later it would have been fair deal for a great guitar. I don't have the money to go out and buy whatever I want and accumulate dozens of guitars. I'd like to be both smart and fair in my dealings.

I would like to make the decision before I go out of town for the week..
      Last edited by axetogrind; 06-15-2008, 04:04 PM.
      USA Jackson SL-2
      USA Jackson SL-1
      Peavey Valveking ii 20MH
      Marshall 1965A 4x10
      Marshall 1960AV 4x12

Comment

Go for the Hamer. EC 1000s and DKMGs can be had anywhere, anytime.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Right off the top of my head it seems like the trade is tilted against you. Add up the prices you could expect if you sell those guitars. I'm not up on the latest prices for Chaps, but I've seen them go for under $700 in the past. Maybe things have changed and I'm way off now, though. Hamer forum (hamerfanclub.com) is your best bet, or try to contact Travis (1trussel) here. He's not around much these days, but he knows his Hamers.

-edit- after reading Newc's post, he makes a good point since Chaps don't grow on trees and the others do, but I'd personally want a $$ comparison regardless. No completed auctions on eBay, unfortunately. There is one on UK ebay starting at around $700. Is the guitar you are looking at a solid color or a figured top (Elite) model?
          Last edited by dg; 06-15-2008, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
            Right off the top of my head it seems like the trade is tilted against you. Add up the prices you could expect if you sell those guitars. I'm not up on the latest prices for Chaps, but I've seen them go for under $700 in the past. Maybe things have changed and I'm way off now, though. Hamer forum (hamerfanclub.com) is your best bet, or try to contact Travis (1trussel) here. He's not around much these days, but he knows his Hamers.

-edit- after reading Newc's post, he makes a good point since Chaps don't grow on trees and the others do, but I'd personally want a $$ comparison regardless. No completed auctions on eBay, unfortunately. There is one on UK ebay starting at around $700. Is the guitar you are looking at a solid color or a figured top (Elite) model?
            It's a solid color (yellow) with a black headstock. I believe it's a custom. I haven't been able to find a re-sale value anywhere. That's my problem, I have no way of knowing what a fair re-sale is. The owner as well a couple of guys on the GW Forum say in the $1,200 plus range, but how could I verify that?

Thanks for all of the input. Another thing I have considered is the point is the uniuqness of the Hamer coupled with the fact that I own the Laney VC50. Another rare and discontinued piece of gear. Still though, I'd like to be able to compare a dollar amount for the trade...
            USA Jackson SL-2
            USA Jackson SL-1
            Peavey Valveking ii 20MH
            Marshall 1965A 4x10
            Marshall 1960AV 4x12

Comment

You'd be coming out behind $$-wise but not by much would be my guess.

DKMG = ~$300-400
              EC-1000 = ~$500-600

Hamer = Can't say for sure but I would guess ~$700-800 unless there is something really special about those that I don't know about.

I can't see how it could possibly be worth 1200+... It's a solid color bolt-on guitar that isn't a vintage Fender

Comment

You can always search on completed auctions on ebay to see how the market is currently. USA Hamers are great guitars, but their superstrats don't generally go for high prices....
                Popular is not the same as good
                Rare is not the same as valuable
                Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
                  You can always search on completed auctions on ebay to see how the market is currently. USA Hamers are great guitars, but their superstrats don't generally go for high prices....
                  How do you find completed auctions?
                  USA Jackson SL-2
                  USA Jackson SL-1
                  Peavey Valveking ii 20MH
                  Marshall 1965A 4x10
                  Marshall 1960AV 4x12

Comment

Originally posted by axetogrind View Post
                    How do you find completed auctions?
                    Do an Advanced Search, and check the "Completed Listings Only" checkbox.

You have to be a registered ebay member to do this.

That is the world's best technique to use to get a bearing on what something is worth.

It goes back 90 days I believe.

-E.
                    Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

Yeah, what Eric said!
                      Popular is not the same as good
                      Rare is not the same as valuable
                      Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Originally posted by AlexL View Post
                        Do an Advanced Search, and check the "Completed Listings Only" checkbox.

You have to be a registered ebay member to do this.

That is the world's best technique to use to get a bearing on what something is worth.

It goes back 90 days I believe.

-E.
                        Thanks. I figured it out and guess what?.. Not one Chaparral. Damnit!!!
                        USA Jackson SL-2
                        USA Jackson SL-1
                        Peavey Valveking ii 20MH
                        Marshall 1965A 4x10
                        Marshall 1960AV 4x12

Comment

Use Advanced Search on eBay, and check the "completed listings only" box. I came up empty today when I did it. I searched a little and found a few forum posts that said the solid color ones should go for maybe $800 and the Elites with figured tops for a grand or so. Take that fwiw, as the posts were at least a year old and prices can change quickly. I also think $1200 is high, considering you can get plain jane San Dimas pointy Charvels for $800 all day long.

Comment

Well it's done! I hope I don't second guess myself too much. It plays killer though and it's USA made, ebony fretboard ect. It's rare and should hold good value. I know I'm trying to convince myself I did ok.

I'm working out of town this week so I have to get up at 4am so I'll post pics next week when I'm back.

Thanks to all for your help!
                            USA Jackson SL-2
                            USA Jackson SL-1
                            Peavey Valveking ii 20MH
                            Marshall 1965A 4x10
                            Marshall 1960AV 4x12

Comment

Check out the Hamer Fan Club site - don't remember it off the top of my head, but do a google. Lots of good info there - USA Hamers are second to none!!! Specially the older ones.

Comment

Working...
                              X