No announcement yet.

Educate me on the ESP brand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So are the Michael Wilton and Michael Paget signature models not very good since they are LTD or do they make a higher end ESP logoed version?
    Jackson KV2
    Jackson KE1T
    Jackson KE1F
    Jackson SL1

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
      now only 400 models and up are korean the rest are indonesia.

My bad
      - Andi Kravljaca -

Comment

Originally posted by xbolt View Post
        I have an older Mirage that is a great guitar...

As stated, they made some of the Kramers necks and bodies but as early as 81 and all of them from 86 through the early 90s...The strat head Pacer you sold likely had some ESP parts...

They also made mid-era (83-87) Robins...
        Like my Raider I
        Those are badass xbolt... totally badass
        "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
        --floydkramer

Comment

Originally posted by Larz View Post
          So are the Michael Wilton and Michael Paget signature models not very good since they are LTD or do they make a higher end ESP logoed version?
          The LTD models are quite good. But the ESP versions are better. And, of course, more expensive (almost 3 X as much).

Kind of like the difference between an American Jackson and the higher end imports.

It's just that everything's imported with ESP, just from different places.

Comment

I Like the older mirages that were soloist/ dinky copies.

Comment

i was at my local jackson dealer last night looking at some new guitars. they just started carrying ESP/LTD. i played an new archtop horizon with a floyd....it was AWESOME, just like i remember all of my late 80's early 90's ESPs. i played an LTD gus g. randon star...it felt cheap, looked cheap, and sound like monkey ass when plugged it in. the VERY first LTD guitars were killer. back when they were DIRECT copies of the real ESPs...the MII, mirage, explorer....i think those were the only 3 models. they SLAYED and only cost like $350. i want to find a couple of those on ebay....
              GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan View Post
                Kind of like the difference between an American Jackson and the higher end imports.
                More like the difference between American Jacksons and the bottom-feeder JS series. ESP has an intermediate series called "Edwards" that they don't sell in the USA, which is more like the higher level Japanese Jacksons. I've played the highest-level LTDs in the local stores, and they still feel subpar compared to the nicer Japanese Jacksons.

If you go over to the ESP board, you'll notice quite a few complaints about all the crap that ESP foists off on the American market, while they don't sell a lot of the really cool ESPs outside Japan.

Comment

I've owned quite a few of these and they are great guitars, awesome feel to them and I never had any issues with them. If you can snag an older one I really doubt you will be disappointed. Owned an LTD EC-1000 for a while it played great as well. Was cool that it had all the body binding and EMG's.
                  www.myspace.com/mortality

Comment

keep the comments crankin' in

wikipedia this thread!

If I'm going to spend, let's say 500 bucks, what's my best BANG for the buck?
                    --floydkramer

Comment

Originally posted by nhspike View Post
                      If I'm going to spend, let's say 500 bucks, what's my best BANG for the buck?
                      That depends on the specs you're looking for. If you're strictly talking about new guitars, then $500 doesn't get much more than what I'd consider a beginner's guitar from any company. If you've got $500 to spend on a used guitar, then it's looking good. I'd highly recommend a used Jackson SLSMG in that price range. If you need a trem, though, then it gets more complicated.

Comment

Strictly ESP, used, with locking trem.
                        I've got plenty of others.
                        Just don't know jack about ESP.
                        I know enough (so far) not to get anything overly new, or with LTD on it.
                        Kinda.
                        LOL
                        --floydkramer

Comment

Originally posted by Larz View Post
                          They definetly do make an ESP Michael Wilton version and I'd love to have one. Those skulls are great on that guitar Anyway, I do have a few ESP's myself and they are all very nice. I'll see if I can post some pix of them here over the weekend. They include a Lynch Sunburst Tiger, Lynch Skulls & Snakes, MII with Python graphic, neck thru yellow Bengal Tiger built for the 1990 NAMM show, and one very special limited edition ESP
                          Rudy
                          www.metalinc.net

Comment

Can't wait to see them Rudy!!!!
                            --floydkramer

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
                              They definetly do make an ESP Michael Wilton version and I'd love to have one. Those skulls are great on that guitar Anyway, I do have a few ESP's myself and they are all very nice. I'll see if I can post some pix of them here over the weekend. They include a Lynch Sunburst Tiger, Lynch Skulls & Snakes, MII with Python graphic, neck thru yellow Bengal Tiger built for the 1990 NAMM show, and one very special limited edition ESP
                              I love the way the Wilton sig model looks, it sort of has a Demartini charvel vibe.
                              Jackson KV2
                              Jackson KE1T
                              Jackson KE1F
                              Jackson SL1

Comment

Originally posted by nhspike View Post
                                Strictly ESP, used, with locking trem.
                                I've got plenty of others.
                                Just don't know jack about ESP.
                                I know enough (so far) not to get anything overly new, or with LTD on it.
                                Kinda.
                                LOL
                                Get one of their neckthru Soloist imitations from the '80s, which included The Mirage Custom, M-1, and M-II. You can tell the era because they have an imitation of the Jackson headstock. I have a The Mirage Custom (which is one you most typically see on eBay), and it's fantastic. They don't go ultra-cheap, though. Expect to pay between about $700-1000 for one.

The complication in looking for them is that there were bolt-on guitars also made under the Mirage, M-1, and M-II names. The bolt-ons were typically labeled "Deluxe" models, while the neckthrus were "Customs". With the Mirage, it's even more confusing because sellers will often list a bolt-on Mirage from that era as a "Mirage Custom", simply because it was custom ordered. However, the specific model "The Mirage Custom" is a neckthru H/S/S guitar with an ebony fretboard.
                                Last edited by pro-fusion; 06-27-2008, 11:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X