Educate me on the ESP brand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pro-fusion View Post
    Get one of their neckthru Soloist imitations from the '80s, which included The Mirage Custom, M-1, and M-II. You can tell the era because they have an imitation of the Jackson headstock. I have a The Mirage Custom (which is one you most typically see on eBay), and it's fantastic. They don't go ultra-cheap, though. Expect to pay between about $700-1000 for one.

The complication in looking for them is that there were bolt-on guitars also made under the Mirage, M-1, and M-II names. The bolt-ons were typically labeled "Deluxe" models, while the neckthrus were "Customs". With the Mirage, it's even more confusing because sellers will often list a bolt-on Mirage from that era as a "Mirage Custom", simply because it was custom ordered. However, the specific model "The Mirage Custom" is a neckthru H/S/S guitar with an ebony fretboard.
    Yes, my Mirage Custom is exactly as you describe in the last sentence. Its a "greenish" color. I made two changes to it. First I replaced the ESP branded trem with an OFR which was a drop in and second I replaced the stock pickups with Duncan Custom Custom in the bridge and Dimarzio Virtual Vintages in the middle and neck.
    Rudy
    www.metalinc.net

Comment

I wouldn't suggest buying anything less than a 400 series. 400's are great quality guitars, anything less than the 400's aren't that great.

Comment

My ESP M-II deluxe is always a pleasure to own and to play. Never played any other ESP or the LTD stuff, though. I hope to some day get another M-II, I like it so much. Plays like butter, and sounds better with age (bought mine new 10 yrs ago already and it was my main gigging guitar when I used to play out every weekend.) A fine looking guitar too,,,,the coolest looking of the reverse headstock guitars. Would highly recommend it.

Comment

You guys rock.
          I've set up some specific searches in ebay, and kinda feel like I know what I'm looking for now.
          Thanks a bunch everyone!
          "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
          --floydkramer

Comment

Originally posted by nhspike View Post
            I know enough (so far) not to get anything overly new, or with LTD on it.
            Kinda.
            LOL
            I'd say hooey regarding the negative LTD talk. LTD is likely the best manufacturer in Korea (as said earlier 400 series and up are Korea) and Korea is called 'the new Japan' in manufacturing circles. The big difference in Korea and Japan now is the economy and by association the wages/expenses. ESP also has some fancier finishes but model for model the LTD guitars hold their own with the ESP branded ones. LTD EC 1000 is really going to be equal in the blind taste test to the Eclipse. I think many people are either caught up in the headstock label or falling into the headstock label stigma trap.

They feel great.
            Have excellent quality pickups and electronics.
            Good wood.
            Excellent quality control.

...and what's the comments about copying Jackson? They got all their ideas from Kramer because they were making them. They still have a bunch of ties to their old Kramer days right down to indentations beneath volume and tone knobs on some models.
            My Duncan Designed pickups are way better than Seymour Duncan regular pickups you fanboy.

Yeah...too bad the forum doesn't have a minimum IQ.

Comment

Originally posted by goodwood View Post
              ...and what's the comments about copying Jackson?
              You must admit, they've been known to peddle some Jackson-lookin headstocks from time to time.

EDIT: And those headstocks can't be confused with Kramers, either.

Comment

Originally posted by goodwood View Post
                They feel great.
                Have excellent quality pickups and electronics.
                Good wood.
                Excellent quality control.
                I've played maybe one LTD with all of the above. I've played many, many more that sucked. It's not a question of the ability of Koreans to build fine guitars. The LTDs come off the same line as the Korean Schecters (and probably many other guitars), and yet the LTDs I've played always seem to have a higher suck factor. I think ESP just cheaps out on them. Believe me, I'd love for the LTDs not to suck, because I'd own several if more of them were decent.

Comment

On a side note, why is ESP completely sold on EMGs?
                  - Andi Kravljaca -

Comment

[QUOTE][
                    On a side note, why is ESP completely sold on EMGs?
                    /QUOTE]They cater to the metal player. Some of their models used to have SD, they don't anymore?
                    ...and what's the comments about copying Jackson? They got all their ideas from Kramer because they were making them. They still have a bunch of ties to their old Kramer days right down to indentations beneath volume and tone knobs on some models.
                    Didn't Jackson sue them over the pointy headstock?

Comment

I have quite a few older esp phoenix models from around 87. one was built for mike wilton of queensryche. they all play great. a bit heavy but they sound awesome. all of them are every bit as good as jacksons of that era. all of mine are 24.75 scale and mahogany with maple neck thru. they have the jackson lawsuyit headstock which i prefer over the newer design. if you can find an older one dont pass it up. they play great. i have had a few m1's of theat era too and they all were very nice sounding and playing instruments.

Comment

Does anyone have a pic of an ESP with a Jackson lawsuit headstock?

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                          You must admit, they've been known to peddle some Jackson-lookin headstocks from time to time.

EDIT: And those headstocks can't be confused with Kramers, either.
                          I think it's kind of odd to point fingers at ESP for ripping off other brands ideas when Jackson has ripped off just as many if not more......

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                            Does anyone have a pic of an ESP with a Jackson lawsuit headstock?
                            Here's my The Mirage Custom (not a great pic):

Note that when you compare them side-by-side, the old ESP headstock is slightly different than the Jackson one--it's a little bit larger and not as sharply angled to the right, which gives a straighter string pull on the treble strings. It's a great guitar.

BTW, as you can see from the photo above, ESP made very close copies of Jacksons. That is far, far different than Jackson making new shapes *very* loosely based on the Strat, Flying V and Explorer. There really is no comparison.

Comment

pro-

wow

what a machine
                              "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
                              --floydkramer

Comment

Thanks! It's actually quite the beater--I bought it on eBay as a bit of a "rescue." It was missing hardware etc. It has served me well for a number of years and I highly recommend the model to anyone. Examples in better shape usually sell for at least $700, but that's still a very good value compared to late '80s USA Soloists with Floyds. Be aware, though, that they have both a maple neck and body, and are therefore a little brighter sounding than a Soloist. This one nails the tones on Operation Mindcrime, for example.

Comment

Working...
                                X