RG 2610E Prestige, sad story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RG 2610E Prestige, sad story

Was up @ Sam Ash yesterday. One of these hanging on the wall. Great looking axe. Sadly, she apparently jumped off her hook once. Couple chips in the paint, little ding on one of the horns, right on the binding.

Pulled her down. They were selling her @ $699. I think list is around $1200-$1300, probably get one new @ $1000. Started noodling, just for a half a second, and the G string hung up. WTF, big nasty divot out of one of the frets.

SO I ask them what the story is, can't be $699. Said, well, it's $666 now. Cute. I said it's unplayable & to put a new fret in is going to cost some bucks. Finally pushed them to $550, then left.

I have no doubt they could be brought down to $500 if not less. They let slip that it had been up there "Forever".

If anyone has the ability (lol probably 100 of you on here) to replace a fret yourself, it's a steal. Rest of the damage was cosmetic. Solid little guitar, single hum. Love the way it looks. At first glance the damage isn't visible (it's on the back other than the binding piece, which I really didn't notice until I was LOOKING for problems to push a few more bucks off of it). The Edge had some rust on it too, but probably comes off with a toothbrush.

Anyhoo- I have the manager's name if anyone wants to get after it.

Made me sad. I really like the way that model looks. I would never buy a guitar off the wall at GC or Sam Ash without REALLY going over it. These guys didn't even know that the fret was f'd until it was pointed out by me.

I'm not going after this one, but does anyone own one? How do you like it?

Vass

How much would a refret cost? Would you have ended up with a playable guitar for $800 if you had bought it and had the one fret fixed?
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Totally, yes, would have been playable. I said, "Getting a new fret by my guy is going to cost $200" as a negotiating tactic, I'd guess it's cheaper but I'm ignorant. They said that was preposterous, and called their guy- who didn't know the context and quoted $150 to $200. Pretty funny.

Yes, totally playable. One fret and one fret only was waffled.

Vass

Comment

$150-$200 to replace 1 fret? Jebus, that's freakin' expensive.

My guy who does that stuff quotes 10-20 bucks a fret for a full fretjob. About $240-$480 for a 24 fret guitar. One fret alone wouldn't be more than 40 bucks he said.

EDIT: With those prices, a full 24 fret re-fret would be what? $3,600-$4,800? Ouch.
        Last edited by Bengal; 07-03-2008, 10:55 AM.
        I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

Working...
        X