Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone here play the new Les Paul Standards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now *here's* a real man's Les Paul. Ten and a half pounds of pure, godlike tone. It's a 2008 Heritage H-157 (pictured alongside my KXK 7-string). I replaced the stock covered Duncan '59s pictured here with uncovered Duncan Distortions, and it's almost too easy to get that John Sykes-style creamy shred tone.

Between this one and my magical '90 Soloist Pro, I've got more tone going on than a man should be allowed to have.

Comment

Originally posted by AK47 View Post
      I really liked this guitar I wish I could keep it but I now have to replace it. I guess we have it good with Jackson still using solid pieces of wood.
      Guess you've never played the Mark Morton signature model. It's chambered, and sounds fucking godly!
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Gibson also has just introduced the Traditional Series Les Pauls. They have eliminated the chambering and gone back to the swiss cheese holes. Check them out.

Comment

Originally posted by thenine View Post
          R0 = 60's neck (thin for a LP)
          No.

I have an R0, and I have a 60s necked LP Standard (and a Classic for that matter). I also have a SG Std. (50's neck). The R0 is fatter than the 60s or Classic, more like the SG Std. profile.

All historics have fatter necks than Standards.

Comment

Originally posted by slash-ed View Post
            ??

Didn't they always offer the option of 50s / 60s neck?
            The choice in neck sizes on the Les Paul Standard started in late 2001/ early 2002.

Comment

Originally posted by AK47 View Post
              I found a 06 as well as a 94 Classic era Les Paul Standard both in Amberburst, does anyone know the extent of chambering in those years.
              Weight relief holes started in 1986 when Henry bought Gibson, so the 94 Classic has these.

Chambering started in 2006/2007, so the 2006 is iffy. To be safe, open it up.

My belief the reason is for chambering? Crappier quality mahogany. The good lightweight stuff is used on Historics.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                No.

I have an R0, and I have a 60s necked LP Standard (and a Classic for that matter). I also have a SG Std. (50's neck). The R0 is fatter than the 60s or Classic, more like the SG Std. profile.

All historics have fatter necks than Standards.
                Huh? I thought R0 stood for '60s historic or reissue. Though, didn't the neck sizes vary back then?
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                X