Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ibanez 542R

Ran across one today out pawn shopping.
    Serial # F200681 MIJ cool guitar 3 singles (blade type),oval fret markers 21st fret it has an inlay "custom made".Bound neck and headstock.
    Satch stye body.
    I couldn't find much info on these I do know they ony made them 1 year.
    If anyone knows how to decode the year of mfg from the serial number I would like to know I may buy this one.
    It has no case so I will be in uber barter mode.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

This might help you:

http://www.ibanezrules.com/catalogs/...nce/dating.htm
    'Howling in shadows
    Living in a lunar spell
    He finds his heaven
    Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

Ok thanks so this should be a 92... 681st guitar of the year.If I read that right.

Comment

Yep, looks like it. They remind me of the body shape of the JS models but with the strat configuration if I remember correctly.
        Fwopping, you know you want to!

VI VI VI: the editor of the Beast!

There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary. Those who do and those who don't.

Comment

Yeah 3 singles blade style with a Vtrem of sorts.I don't know why it I liked it I'm a 1 or 2 hum guy.I know some of these are pretty rare, sad they don't have the case.
          It didn't look cheap at all to me I noticed it had a quarter sawn neck with a natural headstock face so I noticed it to be different from the usual Ibanez low end stuff.

Comment

Japanese Radius model. Only made for 1 year which was 1993 so I guess that one would be one of the first models to come out (because its a 1992)

Its a 3 singles model and is rare. Around $600.00 would be the going price.

Comment

Cool I guess there is a market for these if I need to move it.Its a damn fine player too.Neck is bigger than a wizard which works for me.I will have to go get it.
              My old price guide 2003 says only made in 92 $400.00 mint shape this one is very good but not mint.
              So with everything going up $600.00 seems right.
              I have a bunch of trading fodder so I may be able to get for no cash just stuff.
              Last edited by straycat; 08-17-2008, 12:47 AM.

Comment

Look at this:

http://www.ibanezrules.com/catalogs/us/1992/r_3.jpg

Comment

I think someone (straycat) should publish a Pawn Shop Buyer's guide. I work in Nashville 5 days a week and besides playing guitar after work, there isn't much else to do.

Do you just start scoping them out?

How frequently do you return, to look for new stuff?

I suppose you need to be well schooled on all makes of guitar, because you'll never know what you might find.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                    Cool I guess there is a market for these if I need to move it.Its a damn fine player too.Neck is bigger than a wizard which works for me.I will have to go get it.
                    My old price guide 2003 says only made in 92 $400.00 mint shape this one is very good but not mint.
                    So with everything going up $600.00 seems right.
                    I have a bunch of trading fodder so I may be able to get for no cash just stuff.
                    Be carefull if you are just buying to sell this. Typical Ibanez fans won't like the 3 singles, trust me on this one. Just because they are in small numbers doesn't always mean they are "desireable". Actually they are not, hence the small numbers.

There was a white one here sitting in the shop for 10-12 years before it finally sold. Well, the shop and all it's stock sold to a different owner. I never saw that Ibanez after that.

If the one you are looking at has donks and whatnot, I wouldn't pay over $400 for it. And I probably wouldn't even go that high.

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                    I think someone (straycat) should publish a Pawn Shop Buyer's guide. I work in Nashville 5 days a week and besides playing guitar after work, there isn't much else to do.

Do you just start scoping them out?

How frequently do you return, to look for new stuff?

I suppose you need to be well schooled on all makes of guitar, because you'll never know what you might find.
                    I go in my local pawn shops at least once a week. I have a buddy and usually on Saturday we go around to shops and pawn shops and see what's what. I check both guitar shops and pawn shops.

Never hurts to make freinds with the owner either. I have a friend that lets me know anytime he gets a new Jackson, Charvel or Ibanez. He know's I'm a shred type guy. So I sometimes get the heads up on guitars that he gets. Plus I help him identify them if he doesn't know what kind of guitar it is.

And yes, it helps to have a decent knowledge of guitars. That way you know what is good and what isn't.
                    I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

Bengal is right on the money.I go every Sat or Sun. Monday I go before work to see what has just come out of pawn.
                      By being a regular "buyer" and not a tire kicker I do get some great deals.
                      I too help them ID stuff and do some guitar repair for them so that helps to have a foot in the door.
                      If they are too high on their price don't get shitty just be firm and don't fall for their game.Just say I would but thats just a bit more than I'm willing to put in it. If it needs parts (point out whats missing or broken because sometimes they don't know)thats going to cost YOU.
                      But always be freindly and it will reward you in a later deal.Case in point I got a date with a VERY lovley pawn shop employee and we had a great time.She gives me the 10% discount too.
                      Update the Ibanez sold later that day so I missed that score.
                      I was going to take it to the Cinci Ohio guitar show this weekend but I have a Co meeting I HAVE to go too.Damnit!
                      Last edited by straycat; 08-20-2008, 12:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X