Les Paul almost done...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Les Paul almost done...

Well, it's been a couple of weeks since I last posted my project, but after being on vacation, I just finished up the LP I got a few weeks ago. I did the final sanding and polishing this morning. I left the headstock repair uncovered, cause that's the right thing to do...

Well, enjoy:

Before:

AFTER...

Nice job, Pete!
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

You can still cover up the repair and remain honest. Frankly, you did such a good job on the rest of the guitar, you might as well make the neck and headstock pretty as well.
      "POOP"

Comment

That is outstanding, I agree with covering up the repair, no point in having an ugly joint there to spoil the look of the guitar.

what year is that one?, I don't recognise the serial number format and the Gibson logo looks pretty old

Comment

Thanx for all the kudo's guys. This was a late 60's early 70's LP Deluxe which was standardized by me. I still need to get the pickups in, but I think it will be PAF pro in the bridge and BB Pro in the neck. More pictures to come...

Comment

Looking good.

Kudo's to you Pete for saving this. More work than most people would be willing to go through.

Comment

Getting closer to completion... - also went to the Guitar Center Customer Appreciation night and the Historic next to the Deluxe came home with me - 20% off GC's normal everyday price puts it into every "Internet Shop" ala Centre City and Wildwood pricing (I think). Still, take a look at an older guitar being updated to look new and a new guitar made to look old...

Comment

Originally posted by SEEGERMANY View Post
                You can still cover up the repair and remain honest. Frankly, you did such a good job on the rest of the guitar, you might as well make the neck and headstock pretty as well.
                I agree, I would re-do the neck and headstock w/ paint and a new logo.

Besides, if you sell this, you have the photo's as proof of the repair. That in itself is honest also
                BTW, nice job! Did you dowel the headstock, or just glue and clamp?
                'Howling in shadows
                Living in a lunar spell
                He finds his heaven
                Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

Originally posted by metalchurch79 View Post

Besides, if you sell this, you have the photo's as proof of the repair. That in itself is honest also

He will be honest with that, that's for sure. But think about it, if he sells the guitar, the guy who buys it may try to sell it as an unrepaired one, and he can't stop that.
                  I wish my hair-color was EDS :/

Comment

Originally posted by metalchurch79 View Post

Thanx metal - I didn't dowel the headstock because I didn't have enough area after the gluing due to the way the break was and the amount of "lost" wood. I used marine grade epoxy on the gluing area, then used the same epoxy to fill the "gap". I finally used the wood epoxy to rebuild the "volute" area. I had it strung with .009's at A440 for a day now, and it's still perfectly in tune. Pickups and wiring go in tonight, along with some final polishing the sides.

I actually bought a new headstock veneer and LP decal, but the veneer was a little off, so I don't think I'm going to do anything more.

Comment

I actually bought a new headstock veneer and LP decal, but the veneer was a little off, so I don't think I'm going to do anything more.
                      firstly,nice work!!!!
                      secondly,define "off" regards the headstock veneer.....if its not too bad,do you want to sell it(the veneer)?

Comment

Done for now - plays like butte...... whatever. The early morning cold gave the finish a VOS look, but it is actually really glossy. More pictures will follow...

Last edited by lhrocker; 08-27-2008, 07:22 AM.

Comment

I can't believe how fast you get these done. Don't you have a job?

Comment

Working...
                          X