Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mary Kaye Star parts mutt done - lotsa pics!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mary Kaye Star parts mutt done - lotsa pics!!!

Well, about 4 years ago I decided that I needed to scratch my jones for a Charvel Star with a strathead in Mary Kaye translucent white...but at the time, they weren't exactly growing on trees...so I contacted a dude on ebay that had been selling custom cut jobs for reasonable prices (Jimmie Lee at Blackhorse Guitars) and asked for a single hum, one volume ash body. He did a really nice job (you can't even pick up that it's a 3-piece on first glance)...but there were a couple indentations and some router chatter on the sides, so I decided to opaic the edges after grain filling and then burst/halo the body. Unfortunately, I got a little TOO opaic on the front, but it's actually kind of cool to only see the grain pop up at close range.

Anyway, I originally wanted to put a brass vintage 6 screw trem. So I thought I had made it clear that I wanted a plain, old flat neck pocket...BUT, it was cut at an angle, so I had to use a floating (ala Floyd Rose) trem...which I found out AFTER I drilled the holes!

OUCHIE! Anyway, I'll need to fill those later with the dowel/CA/drop-fill/blush eraser and wet sand-method. Regardless, this meant I needed to go with a Floyd (or equivalent) and, more importantly, needed a new neck with a Floyd nut shelf cut. So adios, walnut neck:

and aloha maple neck with 1 3/4" width nut and Floyd nut cut:

Anyway, drilling the holes for the nut was PLENTY scary:

But it turned out ok - they were off a touch, but nothing a round jewelers's file couldn't fix! Next up was drilling the .40" diameter post holes 25" from the nut...ok, now raise your hand if you have a .40" Forstner bit in your tool box? :evil: Yeah - I though so...

So I grabbed my 3/8" forstner and drilled away...

Measured 50, 892 times, drilled once... ABout 3 hours later with the rat's tail and a pair of dings from it getting away from me :roll: , the inserts and posts are in...

The EMG 81 and the gold plated metal ring went in without much problem...

Then it was "string 'er up time" - so far, so good!

Had to shim the neck with a little bit of business card to get a little more "tilt back", and it was spot on action! Something finally worked the way it was supposed to! Then, onto the electronics...

Yes, I know, I need to get a Duracell in there , as well as a plate cover and a jack cover - they're on the way!. 25k pots for the EMG, .01 mF cap per specs.

Only the volume knob showing up top, but the tone pot is actually wired in as well and tucked away, it's set on 10 as I don't so playing too much "nuanced" music with this thing! And if I decide I want to use the tone knob later, I can alway drill a hole for it...

Well, to make a long story longer, here are the pics..

Parts used:
    Ash body
    Maple neck (from Jamerson Guitars) - 1 3/4" nut, 2 3/16" heel
    Original Floyd Rose trem, with R5 (1.75") nut
    Jin Ho gold tuners (no need for fancy ones with the locking nut)
    EMG 81 pick up and wiring
    1/4 can ReRanch white primer (for the edges)
    1/2 can ReRanch Mary Kaye White
    2 cans ReRanch clear gloss on body and face of headstock
    2 coats Tru-Oil for the rest of the neck
    Charvel neckplate

(And, FWIW - this thing is never leaving my house, for all the "you're violating copyrights blah blah blah"-crowd)
    Crime doesn't pay. Neither does lutherie...

That looks killer, nice work. The gold hardware looks really good in those pics.
    Jackson KV2
    Jackson KE1T
    Jackson KE1F
    Jackson SL1

Comment

+1, great job!
      Just one more guitar!

Comment

That's really nice, I want one :-)
        www.myspace.com/historyofheavymetal

Comment

Originally posted by Speiro View Post
          That's really nice, I want one :-)
          Yeah what he said!

Looks sweet man! Did a good job dealing w/ all your problems too. I know I'd have been pissed off many times if I had to deal with that. Looks good w/ a Floyd I might add.

How's it play?
          'Howling in shadows
          Living in a lunar spell
          He finds his heaven
          Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

Thats awesome. I also wished my build had a tremolo but it is too much for a first build.

Comment

That is really killer. I love the white with gold. What are you going to do with that Walnut neck?
              MakeAJazzNoiseHere: You kidding me? I'd suck her fartbox dry in a heartbeat. 9/29/2011 quote about Megan Fox

Comment

I think I like the looks of it more with a maple neck than I would have with the walnut neck. Looks great. One day I will own a star myself.
                GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

looks awesome! nice work!

Comment

beauty....nice color and I like the gold hardware
                    www.usacharvels.com - info, pics and Charvel guitar discussion board. All things Charvel
                    My Charvel guitars - always one away from too many!

Comment

Great build - how does it sound and play?

Comment

hey, that came out nice! nice job, sir!

sully
                        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                        Sully Guitars on Facebook
                        Sully Guitars on Google+
                        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Sweet guitar!
                          "Dear Dr. Bill,
                          I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

Old school cool, I love it.......I wanna play it!
                            Currently at 78 guitars - Paul Reed Smith, Jackson, Robin, Washburn, Carvin, Peavey, U.S. Masters, G&L, Hamer, Godin, BC Rich, Yamaha, Fender, ESP, Kramer, Cort, Ibanez, Aria Pro & Charvel
                            Pics:http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/mr.rs/pictures/gear

Comment

Originally posted by lhrocker View Post
                              Great build - how does it sound and play?
                              Sounds awesome, I love 81's, so it's right up my alley (I realize they're not everyone's cupatea though!). The 1 3/4" spaced nut is just what the doctor ordered - it feels AWESOME!

The walnut neck is going onto another star I have in the works (as is the brass Charvel trem), but I'm trying to design my own decals and get brass neckplates embossed with the company name and sequential serial numbers...so I can waste lots of time making great guitars, and then selling them for 10% less than the sum of the parts!:ROTF: This one's a keeper though...

And the best part is it's got Sully mojo, as Jimmie Lee used his San Dimas star as a template for this one!
                              Crime doesn't pay. Neither does lutherie...

Comment

Working...
                              X