Les Paul question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DonP View Post
    Maybe so, but I wouldn't "dis" any Les Paul for what's inside. Grab it and play it. If it sounds great, then what's the problem?
    Sounds good in theory, but what about buying sight unseen from an online source? Most guitars we already have a presumption about their tone and sound that it doesn't much matter, but w/ Gibson's W/R and chambering, it's gonna be a toss up as to whether you get a 'good' one.
    I guess it's gonna be one of those hit and miss type of things.
    'Howling in shadows
    Living in a lunar spell
    He finds his heaven
    Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

I love good LPs to death but I'm picky as hell when it comes to them. Most of the chambered models I've tried didn't impress me. I dunno, not my thing. I like heavy guitars, I don't see what's the problem with them, maybe people should lay off the burgers and visit the gym or something.
      That being said, my next guitar probably will be a R7
      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

The chambered models tend to have a feed back problems.
        Thats why I search for the older ones from the 70's and 80's.The 80's studios have some real meat to them and have that L.P. sound.
        Try to find an Orville or Burny they kick ass too and aren't chambered.
        Hell I picked up a Cortez set neck L.P copy for $100.00 bucks and it flat plays like a dream and has some huge tone.
        You know DonP the norlin's get no love from the L.P gurus because of the pancake bodies but I love the norlin's.Late 70's L.P's are great players.
        Last edited by straycat; 09-25-2008, 01:16 AM.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

My friends' Father owns a Heritage LP which is a company made and run by former Gibson employees. The tone and build quality is second to none. They rival Gibson's finest examples for sure. Heritage is an option for me as well.

Here's some good reading from the Heritage site:
          We build guitars for the most discerning and passionate players. Crafted in 225 Parsons, Kalamazoo.
          'Howling in shadows
          Living in a lunar spell
          He finds his heaven

Comment

Bad to the bone!
            "POOP"

Comment

Originally posted by metalchurch79 View Post
              My friends' Father owns a Heritage LP which is a company made and run by former Gibson employees. The tone and build quality is second to none. They rival Gibson's finest examples for sure. Heritage is an option for me as well.

Here's some good reading from the Heritage site:
              http://www.heritageguitar.com/company/about_us.htm
              Yep. Herritage is a great company by ex-Gibson employees. Only issue is resale value. If you plan on keeping it, a Heritage might be a great choice.

Comment

Yep. Herritage is a great company by ex-Gibson employees. Only issue is resale value. If you plan on keeping it, a Heritage might be a great choice.
                Yeah they're sweet, my only bitch about them is the headstock shape, but it's surely copyright thing, other than that it's good to go.
                'Howling in shadows
                Living in a lunar spell
                He finds his heaven

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                  You know DonP the norlin's get no love from the L.P gurus because of the pancake bodies but I love the norlin's.Late 70's L.P's are great players.
                  My first LP was a 1972 Custom bought in 1990. Loved the guitar, great tone. Hated the low frets (it was a "fretless wonder"). Sold it. Regret it. Recently tried another 1972 at GC. Loved the tone, hated the low frets. Still regret selling. What can you do?

I know, get it re-fretted.

Comment

Then I found this special run of Historics that first came out in late 2002. I loved the tone and price, but I didn't like the inlays or fretboards they came with at the time. I held off until December 2004 - two years, until Gibson got it right. Love everything about this, but sort of wish it had a fancier top.

THIS is what a Les Paul is supposed to look like
                    Courtesy, Integrity, Self-control, Perseverance, Indomitable Spirit

Comment

Originally posted by SEEGERMANY View Post
                      He told me that it was getting damned hard to find one over the 8.5 lb range.
                      My PC-1 weighs more than that!

- E.
                      Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

There is an interview in a recent Guitar World with Testament and it showed Alex Skolnick with a Heritage LP. I knew he played LP's but I thought they were Gibson's all this time.
                        'Howling in shadows
                        Living in a lunar spell
                        He finds his heaven

Comment

Originally posted by metalchurch79 View Post
                          There is an interview in a recent Guitar World with Testament and it showed Alex Skolnick with a Heritage LP. I knew he played LP's but I thought they were Gibson's all this time.
                          He loves Heritage. I think he's got some beef with Gibson and doesn't care much for them any more.
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

For you Herritage lovers, there is a nice looking one for sale on the SD forums.

Comment

Thanks DonP

I will checky

They are as good as you can buy at any price
                              "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
                              --floydkramer

Comment

Stolen from the LPF:
                                Weight-relieved.

Chambered.

Comment

Working...
                                X