No announcement yet.

Les Paul question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yikes!! I don't like the looks of those one bit. Wish I had x-ray vision cause I've been thinkin about getting a Les Paul, but due to my lack of knowledge about them, I'm scared to be honest with you.
    I know if it sounds ok then it dont matter, but I'm talking about buying sight unseen and then getting a nasty surprise when I pick it up and plug it in.
    Thanks for sharing those photos.
    'Howling in shadows
    Living in a lunar spell
    He finds his heaven
    Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

Hey man I'd say to look into the "G0" series mentioned before. I have a tobacco burst G0, that I got out the door at GC for 2600.00, just a little more than the regular standards and traditionals. It has a plain top with a slight amount of flame at the right angles, which is how a LP is supposed to look I think. It's by far and away my favorite guitar, my number 1 for everything. The only time I'm not using it is when I need a trem. The neck is the perfect shape, closer to the 60's shape, but just slightly rounder. Frets are perfect due to the plek. Actions really low, with zero buzzing. There is no chambering or weight relief holes. All 50's wiring. The craftsmenship is perfect as well. Mine feels around 10-11lbs. I never weighed it though. The pickups aren't wax potted though to be true to the time and they are noisey cause of that, I swapped my bridge spot out for a JB. I'm planning on getting some bare knuckles for it eventually though anyway. I think it is the way to go for "THE" LP tone and playability at a reasonable price. I'd still reccomend to play first before buying, even with Gibson's custom shop they vary a good amount guitar to guitar. I played another G0 a few weeks after buying mine and didn't play or sound as good.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post

Historics are about the only Gibson these days not on a diet.
        The Custom is not chambered or weight relieved. I'm not talking Custom Shop but the model called the Custom...now they cost about $5000.00 but still...they are the one model that Gibson absolutely will not chamber or weight relieve.
        My Duncan Designed pickups are way better than Seymour Duncan regular pickups you fanboy.

Yeah...too bad the forum doesn't have a minimum IQ.

Comment

PRS aren't weight relieved, are they? The PRS I've had have constantly surprised me with the fat tones they can get without a massively heavy body.

Comment

Originally posted by slash-ed View Post
            PRS aren't weight relieved, are they? The PRS I've had have constantly surprised me with the fat tones they can get without a massively heavy body.
            Depends on the model. I heard they are weight releiving tremontis.

Comment

Holy shit, the chambered goes waaaayyyy further than I thought it did.

Is there less wood than air???? Can't tell because I don't know what the thickness of the top/back is, but if the wood makes up most of the body, it aint' by alot.

Vass

Comment

Originally posted by goodwood View Post
                The Custom is not chambered or weight relieved. I'm not talking Custom Shop but the model called the Custom...now they cost about $5000.00 but still...they are the one model that Gibson absolutely will not chamber or weight relieve.
                Are you talking a 57 Historic Custom (solid Mahogany) or a regular $3500 GC priced new Custom?

Bonus points for whoever can guess what model of LP is in the X-Ray as the "Chambered" LP

Comment

i thought that it was the BFG because of the p90 and humbucker routs, but i don't think that they had the same cavity control layout. do they?

sully
                  Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                  Sully Guitars on Facebook
                  Sully Guitars on Google+
                  Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post
                    i thought that it was the BFG because of the p90 and humbucker routs, but i don't think that they had the same cavity control layout. do they?

sully
                    Yes. Just the toggle switch where the neck tone pot would be, and a kill switch where the regular toggle would be.
                    Shop Les Paul electric guitars at Gibson. From the classic Les Paul Standard to the Les Paul Modern Studio, find the perfect guitar for you. Shop now!
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post

sully
                        It's a BFG. I guess that was too easy

Comment

Originally posted by skorb View Post
                          Where did you get this photo?
                          'Howling in shadows
                          Living in a lunar spell
                          He finds his heaven
                          Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

Working...
                          X