Thinking about pulling the trigger on an early eighties BC Rich mockingbird

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about pulling the trigger on an early eighties BC Rich mockingbird

A Japanese made NJ series with a through neck and dimarzio pickups, what do you guys think of these, is there anything I should look out for?

Decent guitars IMO. Nothing to look out for really.
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

I've always liked that shape.
      Scott

Comment

the NJ's are sweet. I hav an Assassin now and have had a Bich in the past. Rank up there with the best from Japan in the day.

Comment

yeah those NJ are far better than any import BCR has made in decades. there are really no issues per se regarding those guitars. just ask about the neck like any neckthru if its warped or the truss rod is shot its no fun. IMO these are like the higher end model series charvies they were great almost too good, when compared to there handmade counterparts. BTW just remember mockingbirds dont balance all that well. these early NJs without kahlers are starting to get expensive.

Comment

I have an Eagle of the same design and even color as that Mock.
            I must differ from the others and say the quality is so so.

I'm thinking the guitar was made with sub-par wood cause it just feels dead.
            In my head I'm thinking I'm playing a piece of my fence, not a guitar.
            The neck is fairly chunky too compared to most of my other guitars.

Mine might be a lemon but this is my opinion on mine.
            Currently at 78 guitars - Paul Reed Smith, Jackson, Robin, Washburn, Carvin, Peavey, U.S. Masters, G&L, Hamer, Godin, BC Rich, Yamaha, Fender, ESP, Kramer, Cort, Ibanez, Aria Pro & Charvel
            Pics:http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/mr.rs/pictures/gear

Comment

I've been looking for one for ages so if you pass on it maybe you could pass the details along

Comment

the real NJs are fucking great guitars.

sully
                Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                Sully Guitars on Facebook
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by mrrs View Post
                  I have an Eagle of the same design and even color as that Mock.
                  I must differ from the others and say the quality is so so.

I'm thinking the guitar was made with sub-par wood cause it just feels dead.
                  In my head I'm thinking I'm playing a piece of my fence, not a guitar.
                  The neck is fairly chunky too compared to most of my other guitars.

Mine might be a lemon but this is my opinion on mine.
                  you must have a lemon most of them were maple neckthru with mahogany wings & the import US series were all mahogany. but same NJ factory & build. ive had lots of them, thought they were great guitars.

yes BCR necks are fatter & rounder than C/J necks. the later 80's ones & US series imports have much thinner necks.

Comment

Originally posted by j2379 View Post
                    yeah those NJ are far better than any import BCR has made in decades. there are really no issues per se regarding those guitars. just ask about the neck like any neckthru if its warped or the truss rod is shot its no fun. IMO these are like the higher end model series charvies they were great almost too good, when compared to there handmade counterparts. BTW just remember mockingbirds dont balance all that well. these early NJs without kahlers are starting to get expensive.
                    As good as they were, most of them didn't balance well. I had 3 Biches, and a Stealth, and they were all nose heavy. If you can deal with that, they are great guitars. From what I remember, the necks are narrow, but round, so they're great for people with small hands. They didn't feel chunky to me anyway. Mine were all early 80's models.
                    Last edited by zeegler; 09-24-2008, 10:17 PM.
                    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

the nj necks varied; i had 2 bolt on 83 nj warlocks that were very different. one had a mahogany neck (was originally painted) that had a bit of a V shape, and was very thin. the other was thick (almost LPish) and was 3piece maple, which i thought was pretty cool. maybe the earlier ones had the thinner necks, and they eventually went thicker, i dunno.

sully
                      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                      Sully Guitars on Facebook
                      Sully Guitars on Google+
                      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I have a '84 NJ bich and the neck doesn't feel much thicker or narrower than my KE2. I haven't done a real conscious feel comparison or measurement yet. I notice the scale difference more than any neck shape difference.

The bich is more neck heavy than my kelly.

Comment

A local music store had an early 80s NJ Mockingbird when I was growing up. Surprisingly great guitar for fit, finish and playability IMHO. We played the crap out of that thing and it always felt great. If the price is right and you like the design, I would suggest giving it a try.
                          "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

Well made but hit or miss regarding playability. I played some that were great.. I played some that were not great.
                            I always liked that body style too. Also.. I agree with Zeegler... watch the balance issues.

Comment

Guys, I ended up blowing off the deal.

Because the guy who's selling the thing and I having conflicting schedules so we can't meet and work the deal out. And it also happens that he lives at the other side of the country. So no go this time.

Oh well, who knows what I'll find at the vintage fair in Veenendaal next saturday.

Comment

Working...
                              X