Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting the guitar you used to see on TV.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Getting the guitar you used to see on TV.

Originally posted by DonP View Post
    My first guitar was an Aria Pro II RS Classic in Pearl white (what was I thinking?)
    MY first guitar was an Aria Pro II! What a piece of junk, huh? It was white with two humbuckers and a VERY poorly designed trem. You would have to lock the strings down at the bridge by tightening a tiny allen screw that clamped down on the string. I broke a lot of strings because of clamp pinching down on it. I knew NOTHING about guitars (I bought it 'cause it looked cool) and after a while I realized what a lame idea for a trem it was. I then moved on from that wise choice and bought a Charvette. Korean garbage. But, I was a teenager on a budget. Lesson learned.

But yeah, I remember watching MTV and seeing all these rad guitars. One of Poison's videos had a shot of CC's guitars (or rentals) lined up one after the other after the other... I was like, "Duuuuuuuude."
    8 strings? Because 6 is too easy?

Comment

In the early 1980's I was really into Def Leppard, Stryper, Metallica and Led Zeppelin, then this live album came out called "Tribute" and I heard this song called "Crazy Train" and just about pissed myself. At the time I had a bit of a problem with someone who was a "Jackson rep" turned out to be not entirely true, but she had totally soured me on dealing with anything jackson Charvel. Move ahead to 1992 and an ad in one of the guitar mags showing the Jackson Tribute Rhoads LTD.

the other one was a Gibson Les Paul Custom that I had to wait 6 months for. That one got sold but, some day I'll buy another. maybe. or just keep buying more Jacksons

I did everything I could to get one of these, I was able to find two, one of the vtrem (which I hated and still actually do, sorry it may be more collectable but I wanted to play the thing) and this one that was at guitar store in I think San Jose. Anyway I bought this one picked it up and it's been my favorite guitar every since.
      In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Comment

I was in Guitar Center a couple of years ago and something caught my eye from across the store. There, on a rack behind the counter, was a genuine rainbow swirl Ibanez Steve Vai Universe. Someone had just traded it in and they had not even put out on display yet. I mean, how could I miss all that obnoxious color?!? You could have put it behind a lead wall and I still would have seen it. Anyway, my heart starts pumping, I plug it in, and it's magic. I bought it, and got home ASAP to spend more quality time with it.
        I ended up returning it the next day. It was a great guitar and everything, but I realized:
        1. This wasn't going to look very metal.
        2. The new Universe has a better neck joint (IMHO).
        3. The new Universe is black.
        4. The new Universe was at least $1500 cheaper than what I had just paid for a used guitar.
        I may not have had it for very long, but I will probably never forget that day.
        Still, my 2 Jackson SL1 guitars are the best guitars I've ever played. I don't ever see me getting anything else.

Comment

I always wanted a Firebird made by Jackson after seeing RC with one. I got it a few years ago and it was a long time waiting.....

Comment

Originally posted by sixx_ gunner View Post
            But there must be something wrong with me...41 and wanting a SCREAMING yellow guitar trimmed in PINK & LIME GREEN....WTF??Someday someway.
            Dude, the only thing "wrong" with you is that you don't have one yet!
            WarPig____________________________________________
            "Live every day as if it were your last...
            ...one day it will be."

Comment

I will still pay good coin for the the checkerboard, bullseye, Charvel pointy Sheila E. used on the flim, "Krush Groove"

Comment

You'll have to get in line behind Tracy, Tim Rose, Yogadork, Bret, and many others

For me it was a Les Paul Standard because of Jimmy Page, Santana, Neal Schon, and all the rest. Finally found one in a local shop in 1994 on the consignment rack for $1050. It was maybe a year old. Trans Red with cream rings and guard.

Still have it.

While not the Cherryburst or Tobaccoburst "classic", it's nonetheless a USA Les Paul Standard. That was more important to me than the color.

Though my first guitar was a bit closer....

Montoya LP copy bought from my best friend in 1984 or 85. Added the Kahler and pretty much trashed it up with stickers and crap.
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

LOL.

Nice...I'm thinking of the Aria Black LP Standard copy I got my chops on.
                  It wasn't so bad, after all.

I thought I was Joe Perry at the time.

Comment

I guess I was about 13 and saw Richie Blackmore playing a cream colored strat on TV and from that day forward it was all I wanted. Eventually I got a cream Fender Bullet Deluxe (anyone remember those?) which was a lower end model but was actually a good little guitar. Guess that must have done the trick because I never did get a cream strat. Indeed, I don't even like playing Fenders anymore!

Comment

I'd have to say seeing the Judas Priest video for Freewheel Burning did it for me. I HAD to have a Phantom GT. I got my first one about 4 years ago. It sure took long enough !
                      I'm not afraid to bleed, but I won't do it for you.

Comment

I always wanted a Black Aria Pro II bass like Cliff Burton played on Kill Em All VHS. Even though I played guitar I wanted this bass more than anything and I finally got one.

Comment

For me it was Stryper with their yellow and black Jacksons, and of course. RATT more specidically Robbin with his Bog Red King V. Of Which i own a JCF02 of it. Its an amazing guitar. And one i will never sell. And of Course the LPC Cherry burst 3 pup that Ace played and Tom scholz with his LPC. I still miss my 76 cstm I kick my self every day for letting that one get away. And the big headstock CBS Strat. Altho mine was white on black. It was still a killer guitar. Kickin myself for that one too. oh well some day i may have the money to buy both again. some day
                          Gil

Comment

Working...
                          X