Unnoficial Signature models

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unnoficial Signature models

Let's talk about the players who have developed an instrument with a well known builder that's clearly their own but didn't attach their signature to the resulting instrument.

Such is the case with Genesis player Mike Rutherford who in the mid eighties was an advocate for Steinberger instruments, using both the bass and the guitar version of their L series.

But Rutherford is a tall guy, towering over 6 feet, so playing such a compact instrument like a Steinberger L series bass, looked a little... How can I put this... funny, but not 'Ha-ha' funny.

Genesis live in 1986, with both Rutherford and Daryl Stuermer playing Steinberger L-series instruments

So in that same year, Rutherford teamed up with Brittish luthier Roger griffin to create something that looked and felt like a normal instrument to Rutherford, at first they made a plastic stratocaster-shaped encasing for Rutherford's L-series instrument which they took to Ned Steinberger to see.

In addition, Rutherford also played a Status headless doubleneck for a while and I wonder if that was an influence as well...

Rutherford playing his Status double neck during the "Mama" tour
    Cinema Show, In That Quiet Earth,and Slippermen. I had a request for this.

The result of their coleboration was the GM series guitar and the XM series bass

Rutherford on Genesis'1987 tour playing one of the first GM series they made him.

But this Steinberger Rutherford model never became an official model for the guy.

EVH didn´t have an actual Kramer signature model, did he?

Comment

James Hetfield - ESP Explorer / Ken Lawrence Explorer
      http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

EVH didn't but the Kramer Baretta was the closest thing to his own guitars.
        '87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
        '81 Kramer Pacer Standard
        custom made Les Paul
        VOX Tonelab LE
        Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!
        ADA MP1
        BBE 422A
        Lexicon MPX-G2
        ADA Microtube 100

AFFA
        Support Your Local 81

Comment

What about Prince and his Auerswald guitars

I played a Auerswald "naomi" and I was like WTF!
          Sustaine for hours, best neck ever but also highest price ever

Comment

Originally posted by shadowcat View Post
            James Hetfield - ESP Explorer / Ken Lawrence Explorer
            I thought in the late 90's ESP had a JH1 or 2 or something of that sort until Gibson sued them.
            Jeff Smeltz

Comment

Originally posted by customshopkv1 View Post
              I thought in the late 90's ESP had a JH1 or 2 or something of that sort until Gibson sued them.
              He had a few official ESP explorer sigs but most were Japan only. Like the EET FUK explorer that I own with the middle finger inlays also there was a Wolf to Man explorer that was available in Japan only as well. I have seen two of those come up for sale but it may have been the same one twice.

Comment

They also did the truckplate guitar. Bolt-on though...
                Popular is not the same as good
                Rare is not the same as valuable
                Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Dean Razorback stuff...
                  If your mum stabbed ya you wouldnt get upset... You would say ' Ohhh shit mum stabbed me! I better go to a hospital'. - Chopper

Comment

Working...
                  X