Stripped down beater for traveling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stripped down beater for traveling?

Note: I am looking for advice, not looking to buy anything right now.

I am heading up to Reno and Virginia City next week and it got me thinking. What is a good stripped down, no thrills guitar to travel with? it's just a three day thing so I'm just wanting something to keep my fingers busy while I'm up there. I won't be able to get anything for this trip, but there's Vegas in March so I'm looking at my options

i am really thinking about one of the Rondo music les pauls. the agiles are nice looking and for the price seem to be highly rated. I was also thinking about a Fernandes Nomad(?) but I have never played one seems to carry them so I can't really try one.

Any suggestions? I'm looking for something that if it were to get stolen, damaged, whatever it wouldn't be a huge deal.

I did think about one of the music yo strikers, I like the one I have a lot. but I dunno. just curious what's out there that people can suggest
    In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

I've got a Hohner G3T to meet my travelling needs...it's perfectly good as a basic guitar. I've upgraded the pickups in mine to 85/SA/SA though the EMG selects were actually passable. I've also got a cheap 'Johnson' () small-bodied acoustic, though that's not nearly as nice to play.

Comment

Get an Ovation Super Shallow Body. I just bought one for my GF for Christmas. It took a little getting used to it at first, but once I did I fell in love with it (and I own 3 U.S. Ovations). They are light weight, easy to play and have a relatively fast neck (considering the price range). The upper fret axcess could be better, but hey its an acoustic.

Comment

Ok, this may be a sign I have too many guitars. I was moving all my Jackson cases from one spot in my room to my closet and realized I had a ibanez I played once when I bought it on a whim. it's got cheesy pickups (those EMG designed ones) and sounds alright at best, it'll be perfect for this trip. if it got stolen I wouldn't even notice, god knows I forgot about it for a year or more now.
        In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Comment

We could probably start another thread on this topic, but I totally understand having so many guitars that you forget about one or two. Compared to some like Mr. Jenkins, I am only a small collector as I only have about twenty five at any one time. Since I only really play four or five of my favorites I need to go through all of the cases every few months to "remember" what I have. Seems ridiculous to some but I am always on the lookout for more especially if it is a Charvel/Jackson. I've heard of guitar aquisition syndrome (GAS) but does anyone know if there is a medical or psychological term for this type of behavior? Not that I want to change. Just curious if this is a common thing as it seems quite common on this board.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaronharmon View Post
            Get an Ovation Super Shallow Body. I just bought one for my GF for Christmas. It took a little getting used to it at first, but once I did I fell in love with it (and I own 3 U.S. Ovations). They are light weight, easy to play and have a relatively fast neck (considering the price range). The upper fret axcess could be better, but hey its an acoustic.
            I bought my niece a Celebrity.."Korean" SSB with a
            great looking cherrywood top.. good preamp...and out the door with soft
            case for $211.00 !! Great player...actually within 25% as good as my
            $1300.00 USA Ovation, in playability

Comment

Originally posted by tcwil8 View Post
              We could probably start another thread on this topic, but I totally understand having so many guitars that you forget about one or two. Compared to some like Mr. Jenkins, I am only a small collector as I only have about twenty five at any one time. Since I only really play four or five of my favorites I need to go through all of the cases every few months to "remember" what I have. Seems ridiculous to some but I am always on the lookout for more especially if it is a Charvel/Jackson. I've heard of guitar aquisition syndrome (GAS) but does anyone know if there is a medical or psychological term for this type of behavior? Not that I want to change. Just curious if this is a common thing as it seems quite common on this board.

On the bipolar spectrum, it's called mania!

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Burns View Post
                I bought my niece a Celebrity.."Korean" SSB with a
                great looking cherrywood top.. good preamp...and out the door with soft
                case for $211.00 !! Great player...actually within 25% as good as my
                $1300.00 USA Ovation, in playability

They are sweet little guitars. I have 2 Elite's and a Legend and I would have put it a little closer to them than 25% to be honest. The neck takes a little getting used to, because it is narrower and the strings are a bit closer together. Come to think of it, It would be a great axe to work on your picking accuracy. It is a lot of fun.

Comment

Working...
                X