Cleaned up the 1981 Gibson Flying V

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaned up the 1981 Gibson Flying V

I am off today so I decided to do a string change on the old V. This is a guitar that I bought brand new back in the day for $750. Very expensive for the time..at least to me it was. I managed to hold onto it all these years even though it was in and out of pawn shops while I was in the Marines. I always went back for it.

In the 80's some craptacular mods such as pickup rings and sealed Schallers were installed. I put old style Schallers on it several years ago. It also has an old Super Distortion in it which John (jgcable) saved for me by re-potting it with wax.

This guitar has the lowest and easiest playing action of all the guitars I own. My 1990 Explorer (same color) comes in a very close 2nd.

Anyway, here are some pics. Some came out crappy due to my mad camera skillz.

You might be able to see the wear on the low E and A saddles in these pics.

Scott
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Sweet Gibson you have there Scott.
    I always had a soft spot for those, especially the White ones. That's so cool that you've had it since new, and were able to keep it all this time.
    Looks like you've taken extremely good care of it as well.

Thanks for sharing photos of this beauty with us.

-Joe
    'Howling in shadows
    Living in a lunar spell
    He finds his heaven
    Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

Awesome V!!! I don't know who built those Vees at Gibson from 1979-1981, but they are THE BEST playing instruments. I have a 1979 refinished in Fiesta Red and a 1981 Silverburst. And like you have stated, the action and playability is unbelieveable. Truly the best instruments I have ever played from Gibson.

Comment

I was born in 1979, and one day I will own a 1979 Gibson Flying V, and a 1979 Fender hardtail Strat, just because I always wanted those guitars built on the same year as me.

Very cool that you have a '79, Uli.
        Have you posted pics of that before?
        'Howling in shadows
        Living in a lunar spell
        He finds his heaven
        Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

Thank you, guys.

metalchurch, go for the gusto. Find a 1979 V just like mine, but with the small block inlays. Rare and very cool.
          Scott
          Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

If my arm wasn't so sore, I'd throw a damned rock at you!
            "POOP"

Comment

That kicks ass, Scott! Now you need to take a pic of that and the white Explorer together. And the white LP Custom if you've still got it.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Woohoo! Puppets V :headbang:
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                  That kicks ass, Scott! Now you need to take a pic of that and the white Explorer together. And the white LP Custom if you've still got it.
                  Thanks Joe. I still have all 3 white Gibsons. I'll take some pics of them together in the near future.
                  Scott

Comment

Originally posted by StukaJU87 View Post
                    Thanks Joe. I still have all 3 white Gibsons. I'll take some pics of them together in the near future.
                    Nice, Scott! I, too have a soft spot for the white Gibsons that turn creamy colored with age. I've got a '67 Reissue and a 1990 SG in that finish.

Friggin' Classic!
                    Thanks for sharing!
                    Mike

Comment

Originally posted by metalchurch79 View Post
                      Very cool that you have a '79, Uli.
                      Have you posted pics of that before?
                      MetalChurch79,
                      Here are the pics of my Gibson Vees. The Fiesta red is a 1979 refin. Before anyone blasts me for refinishing it, I bought it for $150 about 8 years ago. Some brain surgeon had decided to repaint it. It was originally black and the "professional" shot the guitar in white - did I mention he didn't bother to mask the fretboard.
                      The silverburst is an 81', the Black Korina 58' Reissue I bought brand new in 1983 (it is the B Series - second run). The Schenker replica I built and subsequently put on Ebay with no intention of selling, but someone put a good offer and I figure I will build another.

Comment

Great looking axes. I just just don't see the need to spend over $2.5K on a Jackson Y2KV when you can get great axes like these for less.

Comment

During the '70s, Gibson made very few "red" V's with matching headstocks. So, even though it's a refin, it's still cool as hell to see one. If I remember correctly, Michael Schenker used a candy apple red V on the Force It album. I sold two of my prized V's this past year, a 1980 black and white and a white '67 reissue. I still have two and since everyone else is posting pics, I'll join in.

"POOP"

Comment

Originally posted by SEEGERMANY View Post
                            If my arm wasn't so sore, I'd throw a damned rock at you!
                            SG , Arm sore ?:ROTF:

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                            That would be a very cool pic, I'd like to see it !!!

Originally posted by StukaJU87 View Post
                            Please do, And for us fretboard perverts could you include some sexy neck shots as well.

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                            Great looking axes. I just just don't see the need to spend over $2.5K on a Jackson Y2KV when you can get great axes like these for less.
                            I'm probably gonna get torn for this but, these gibby's look a heck of a lot better than a y2k.

Merry Christmass all
                            Jay
                            Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

My "EX-V" in action! Nothing looks cooler than a Flying V!
                              "POOP"

Comment

Working...
                              X