help !! what is this gibson/epiphone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help !! what is this gibson/epiphone?

anyone know what model this is? trem looks wierd.

Looks like an Epi variant of the U2. That Kahler knock off looks serious.

Comment

whoa i just read somewhere that these bodies are made of plywood? is that true

Comment

It's actually a Steinberger trem variant.
        I don't think that it was a plywood body though. I used to go take lessons at a music store that had these and the Epi PRS copies on the wall. I think the fretboard was ebanol on some of them.

Too many years ago to remember how they played and I was always drooling over the Gibson Les Paul Custom Lite that they had there.

Still kicking myself for never getting one. Gibson should bring those back. They do so many other LP variants.
        Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

would you say its worth 300 bucks used?

Comment

I believe that is the model below the X-1000 (What I own). Those trems are useless junk. Not even worth it to fix either (cheap posts bent after the first few uses due to being pot metal). A plus is a Kahler will fit in with some Dremel work and patience. The pickups are nigh useless as well. I am not sure what the body is made out of, but I'm going to assume the neck is maple like the X-1000. I thought only the bolt-ons were plywood, but I could be wrong. I would say $150 or so. Nice project guitars, but my X-1000 needs some fretwork and the finish was very poorly done.

Comment

Originally posted by jdr94 View Post
              would you say its worth 300 bucks used?

In short no. $200.00 in great shape and you will have to replace that trem. It's like pot-metal or something.
              Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

it looks to be in good cond. and i was gonna trade this guy my randall rh100 for it, but i dont need any projects. had to see what you guys thought cause i've never seen one of these. its pretty cool lookin tho

Comment

it looks to be in good cond. and i was gonna trade this guy my randall rh100 for it, but i dont need any projects. had to see what you guys thought cause i've never seen one of these. its pretty cool lookin tho
                  Unless you are looking for the project and don't mind the fact that'll be with you for life. I'd skip it.

Sometimes you can find a Gibson U2 going pretty cheap at Chris' Guitars. Just keep an eye open if you really want one.

Comment

Originally posted by CharvelRocker View Post
                    I believe that is the model below the X-1000 (What I own). Those trems are useless junk. Not even worth it to fix either (cheap posts bent after the first few uses due to being pot metal). A plus is a Kahler will fit in with some Dremel work and patience. The pickups are nigh useless as well. I am not sure what the body is made out of, but I'm going to assume the neck is maple like the X-1000. I thought only the bolt-ons were plywood, but I could be wrong. I would say $150 or so. Nice project guitars, but my X-1000 needs some fretwork and the finish was very poorly done.
                    I thought the x-1000's had pointy-ish headstocks? Could be wrong, I don't know that much about them.

Comment

Its an epiphone S-900 and that bridge is a "Steinberger KB". The serial no. should be on the backside of the control cavity cover.

Nice guitar, mine played great and sounded great. I bought it in mint condition for $150 and resold it for $180 when I realized I wanted the next model up (X-1000).

Comment

Originally posted by Burn View Post
                        I thought the x-1000's had pointy-ish headstocks? Could be wrong, I don't know that much about them.
                        Nah, they have the dorky "banana" headstock too. I think they are similar to these, but have an Ebonol fretboard, MOP chevron inlays, neck binding, neck-thru construction (all maple) and a coil tap for the EMG selects. Same bridge though.

I originally tried to strip the neck on mine as it felt tacky as hell, but decided just to overall the guitar. New (original job was nice in color, but had a lot of iffy spots), new binding (original stuff was HORRIBLY done), and a better trem. It has been on hold for awhile though, as I got stripper on the binding, which caused it to turn into cement... :ROTF:

Comment

Run Forest... Run...

Comment

anyone know what model this is? trem looks wierd.

*********** Oh my God! Thats the super rare "Holloween Boobies"
                            graphic! Done in 87' by a young Mike Learn! Big time collectable!

Comment

Working...
                            X