Gibson Robot vs Jackson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson Robot vs Jackson

Well I have my Gibson Explorer (robot edition), so I thought I’d share my thoughts on it with you all.

As I opened the case I was taken aback by how piss poor the finish was. The guitar itself is stunning, it looks amazing (from a none playing distance) and it sounds and feels like Gary Moore had set it up. But it definitely isn’t in the Jackson/Charvel ball park. The fit and finish of this must be an embarrassment to Gibson; they’ve seen Jackson guitars haven’t they?

I bought this because I wanted an Explorer with an ebony fret board and nice inlays. The robot part is redundant to me really, I play in either standard or drop D, so I don’t have any use for its automation. The back of the head stock looks like it has six vending machines nailed to it. The balance of the guitar is, however, perfect. It stays where you put it, no nose dives.

I’m going to keep it, but I think it’s going to get a proper paint job. My sister in law, Vera (JCF member 24seven), painted a Model 2 for me a few years ago and she achieved at least 10 times the standard that Gibson attempted on this Explorer. Still, I’ve got an Explorer after all these years, I still think it’s stunning.

Gibson Explorer next to a proper guitar

Does that have the older automated machine heads on it? I think they are bringing V2 out or they may already be out.
    Fwopping, you know you want to!

VI VI VI: the editor of the Beast!

There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary. Those who do and those who don't.

Comment

Why did you get one with the robot if you don't need it? Surely that cost a lot extra?
      And didn't you check it out before you bought it to check the finish? If I was spending as much as this must have cost I'd have wanted to see it first. I certainly wouldn't be repainting it, I'd just be sending it back.
      It looks nice, but I just keep thinking it's like a lumpy Kelly!
      http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Well, as some of you might recall, I live in the UK. so seeing a guitar before you buy it is unheard of, especially a USA one. I bought this because I wanted an ebony fret board and either block or trapezoid inlays on a full sized Explorer body. At present, the 'robot' is the only Explorer available with this option. I bought my Soloist unseen, trusting the Jackson brand. I placed as much faith in the Gibson brand.

Don't get me wrong, the Explorer is lovely to play and is a surpisingly comfortable, balanced guitar, but it's worlds apart from a USA Jackson.

They are bringing out version 2 of the robot, but I'm not sure which guitar body it's on or what price. Doesn't matter really, I've got almost the Explorer I want, just needs someone who knows what they're doing to paint it.

Comment

Originally posted by SEAN RAF View Post
          I placed as much faith in the Gibson brand.
          I fully understand your position and this is coming from probably the biggest Gibson nut on this forum, after my last custom shop fiasco, I will never buy another Gibson unseen. Enjoy your new guitar!
          "POOP"

Comment

Originally posted by SEAN RAF View Post
            Well, as some of you might recall, I live in the UK. so seeing a guitar before you buy it is unheard of, especially a USA one.
            I fully understand your predicament, I'm in Scotland. I just assumed you'd find something like a Gibson at a city centre shop that you could try out.
            If not, and you don't like the finish, I'd send it back, why should you pay so much for something you don't LOVE?
            http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

I haven't warmed up to the whole robot thing yet but at least Gibson is trying new technology.I still like Gibson's but Jackson/Charvels are my thing.
              I still have a soft spot for 70's Jap gibby knock offs.
              Thats a very cool explorer tho'.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I'd have someone put white binding on it and paint it gloss black.

that would rock.

you are right the red just does not look right on that guitar (with those pickup rings either).

so it's just a shitty paint job? in what way?
                the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

I dunno man, If I owned a real gibby explorer, or V it'd have to be white.
                  Guitars:
                  '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
                  '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
                  '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
                  Amp:
                  VOX AD30VT

Comment

I like the idea of the Gibson Robot models and the new Dark Fire sounds like a really interesting concept... Or maybe it's just the signal processing part of me talking. I don't know how all these features work out in practice, but I guess time will tell.

Comment

Those Robot Gibby's are battery powered I believe, so you can probably let the battery run dead or remove it if you want to return to a "regular" guitar.
                      I know that all those mechanisms add alot of weight to the neck, so I wonder if the body is weight relieved on those? Probably I'd imagine.
                      Does it balance out ok?
                      Looks killer btw!
                      Nice Charvel too! My fav color:White
                      'Howling in shadows
                      Living in a lunar spell
                      He finds his heaven
                      Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

Believe it or not, those mechanisms weigh less than regular Kluson tuners. The balance is perfect, it rests on the strap in a classical guitar position, headstock at eye level. You can let go of the neck and it stays where you left it. Sitting down with it is just as good, the back horn(?) acts as an arm rest.

Comment

BTW, you don't have to disconnect or the run the battery dead, once the silver coloured tone pot is pushed back in, the robot part is deactivated.

Comment

Hmm, no kidding? I was told otherwise (apparently by someone who doesnt own one either).
                            I'm amazed by the fact that they dont weigh that much actually.

Can you convert the tuners to the old style if you wanted to? Do they have the same screw pattern?
                            What pups are in that 496R 498T?
                            'Howling in shadows
                            Living in a lunar spell
                            He finds his heaven
                            Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

I don’t know how I can bear to show my face around here…the Explorer went back to the shop today…

I had a problem with the MCK (the pull out knob that controls everything) not lighting up when in anything other than A440 mode. Another interesting feature malfunction was the ‘string up’ mode. When you re-string this guitar, you (according to the manual) just have to thread the string into the locking tuners, press a button and the mechanisms wind the strings to tension. When I did this (twice, stupid I know, but I had to see it again), the machine heads kept on turning until each string snapped…amazing to watch really.

So I’ve now had 4 EVH’s either break or catch fire, and a Gibson Explorer that’s hell bent on stretching its strings to whatever the length of room it’s in at the time.

I’m glad it’s from a different shop than the EVH’s, otherwise they might start thinking it’s something to do with me…it isn’t though…I’m an innocent bystander…

Comment

Working...
                              X