Steve Clark Les Paul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steve Clark Les Paul

Why has Gibson not made a tribute or inspired by version of Steve's LP with 3 hums and a kahler??????
    1995ish Charvel strat copy
    Blue Bengal DK2M HSS
    a few others i'd rather not mention
    Nigel Tufnel: (holding up a guitar) The sustain, listen to it.
    Marty DiBergi: I don't hear anything.

Nigel Tufnel: Well you would though, if it were playing.

They're going to make guitars that think will sell and make them money, so they probably feel that a Steve Clark signature model wouldn't sell much. I love the one he plays in the video for Women. I sure wish he was still around and playing with Def Leppard.
    Breaking Point, my all instrumental CD available here:
    www.cdbaby.com/cd/richardjamessounds

http://www.amazon.com/Breaking-Point...92366&sr=301-1

http://youtube.com/user/jsrmusic

Comment

Originally posted by gunslingerj View Post
      Why has Gibson not made a tribute or inspired by version of Steve's LP with 3 hums and a kahler??????
      Because when they do these sorts of runs they like to actually sell more than 3 or 4 guitars.
      I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

then how do they justify hideous limited runs like the reverse explorer?
        Blue Bengal DK2M HSS

Comment

Crack?

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
            Because when they do these sorts of runs they like to actually sell more than 3 or 4 guitars.
            oh snap! :ROTF::ROTF::ROTF::ROTF::ROTF:

when i saw the thread title, the guitar that came to my mind was the tobacco burst, non bound, dot inlay lp he had. no idea what model it was, but whatev.

i thought that they were actually doing one; i have a friend who'd buy one. so i guess all gibson needs would be 2-3 more people!

sully
            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
            Sully Guitars on Facebook
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

worse yet is the reverse V..... it had to been Meth induced
              ...that taste like tart, lemon yogart

Comment

3 hums + Kahler = no sales.

Besides, does the world really need another $7,000 'tribute' Les Paul?

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post
                  oh snap! :ROTF::ROTF::ROTF::ROTF::ROTF:

when i saw the thread title, the guitar that came to my mind was the tobacco burst, non bound, dot inlay lp he had. no idea what model it was, but whatev.

i thought that they were actually doing one; i have a friend who'd buy one. so i guess all gibson needs would be 2-3 more people!

sully
                  Lol, that's what I thought as well. Here's a pic:

The model is a Gibson XR-1, which Gibson (Norlin) made for a few years in the early eighties. From the Steve Clark site:

"The Les Paul XR-1 was introduced by Gibson in 1981 and discontinued in 1983.The XR-1 has a mahogany body with a carved maple top. The pick-ups are two exposed black/white coil "Dirty Fingers" humbucker pick-ups with individual volume and tone controls. It has the 3 way toggle switch for pick-up selection and also features a coil tap switch located near the volume/tone controls which splits the pick-up to a single coil tonal option.
                  The neck is a three-piece maple construction with a rosewood fretboard featuring pearl dot inlays. The XR-1 features chrome hardware and machine heads."

Here's a pic of mine, which I bought new (well, my dad helped.. lol) back in 10th grade (1981):

The guitar is SERIOUSLY heavy, but sounds great. Don't think you'll see Gibson do a siggy model though... it's one of the few authentic Gibson Les Pauls that can be had for < $1000 used. (ie: not much demand).

-Kenn

Comment

Originally posted by ABSOLUT CHARVEL View Post
                    worse yet is the reverse V..... it had to been Meth induced
                    They ripped that off from the Judas Priest Breakin' The Law video. Maybe the guy that made that original cardboard version was on meth.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I hate gibson but love def lep, this is the only gibson id probably ever buy...other than angus's black sg with lightnin bolts
                      Blue Bengal DK2M HSS

Comment

Originally posted by pro-fusion View Post
                        3 hums + Kahler = no sales.

Besides, does the world really need another $7,000 'tribute' Les Paul?

+1

So I guess death to the LP Axcess LOL. Just missing the middle p/u and Kahler/Floyd what the diff? the Stop tail is gone either way.

plus...and then get it wrong anyway re: Page LP's. What a scam.

This current time for Gibson I don't believe is going to be looked at in the future as being a time when they built great guitars. IMHO I think it will be regarded as the zenith of the Gibson marketing machine.

I'm with Gruhn on this. Why pay $4-5 grand for a Fender CS Masterbuilt 66 Jazzmaster when you can buy a real one for 5-6? Because it's easier to get? But at that point why not buy the real thing? Fender and Gibson laugh all the way to the bank.

Now if you have 2 grand to spend? Do what you need, but paying 4 or 5 grand for a Historic? Please....

Not being a smart a** in response to your point. Actually backing you up. Who needs that guitar on market? I agree with you wholeheartedly.
                        Why the hell doesn't Eddie pick up a goddamned guitar and play something?

Current Junk:
                        98 ESP S'burst Tiger,(2) 85 Jackson Soloists (1 pink, 1 red and a white 85 Rhoads),08 Wayne,98 Blackmore, 91 375 Deluxe, 91 MM EVH Purple, 75 Ibanez Korina Destroyer,74 Strat, 78 JMP, 87 JCM800, (2) 80 Hamer Sunbursts, Peavey Vandenberg Custom Puzzle, 335, LPR8, 80 Dimarzio Explorer, 80 Dimarzio Strat, 84 Charvel, Nightswan, LPC Lite, old Baretta, etc. etc. +stuff. [sigpic=true][/sigpic]

Comment

Originally posted by 85 San Dimas View Post
                          +1

So I guess death to the LP Axcess LOL. Just missing the middle p/u and Kahler/Floyd what the diff? the Stop tail is gone either way.
                          Big difference between a guitar with a Floyd vs. a Kahler. Very few people actually like Kahler's. I'm no hater of Kahler's but that's the reality. Also, people have been asking Gibson for years to make a factory Floyded guitar.

Originally posted by 85 San Dimas View Post
                          plus...and then get it wrong anyway re: Page LP's. What a scam.

This current time for Gibson I don't believe is going to be looked at in the future as being a time when they built great guitars. IMHO I think it will be regarded as the zenith of the Gibson marketing machine.

I'm with Gruhn on this. Why pay $4-5 grand for a Fender CS Masterbuilt 66 Jazzmaster when you can buy a real one for 5-6? Because it's easier to get? But at that point why not buy the real thing? Fender and Gibson laugh all the way to the bank.

Now if you have 2 grand to spend? Do what you need, but paying 4 or 5 grand for a Historic? Please....

Not being a smart a** in response to your point. Actually backing you up. Who needs that guitar on market? I agree with you wholeheartedly.
                          First off, depending on the model, you can get a VOS/Historic for about the same price as a Standard/Custom - the 54, 56, and 57 Les Pauls all can be had for under 3k. The 58/59's cost more but it ain't like comparing a 66 Jazzmaster to a CS Jazzmaster - a 59 reissue will cost you about 4k whereas a real one would cost over 300k.

As someone that had a killer R9 and still owns a killer R4, I can tell you that there is a huge difference in these guitars vs. the regular production Gibsons. I've played several dozen Historics - they are really fantastic guitars.

- Newc

Comment

The Les Paul Axcess is different because of the Floyd. More people like Floyds than Kahlers, by far. I'd actually kinda like to get an Axcess myself, though I generally prefer Heritage to Gibson these days. My Heritage LP Black Beauty is very nearly the quality of what comes out of the Gibson custom shop, and I paid less than $2,000 for it.

From what I've seen/played, Gibson's custom shop makes guitars at about the same quality level as regular Gibsons in the late '70s-early '80s, maybe slightly higher than that (especially in terms of consistency and wood quality). The difference is that modern production Gibsons have gone down the shitcan in terms of quality, so the custom shop stuff seems golden by comparison.

As much as I love my Heritage H-157 Les Paul, I can't get into a fetish for vintage guitars and would certainly never pay deluxe prices for one. Personally, I think the overheated market for Gibsons and Fenders is going to crash hard in the next few years, leaving only the true collectables ('50s LPs and Strats, etc.) with high values. But your average 1973 Les Paul or CBS Strat is going to go back to near the pawnshop prices that they are really worth.

Comment

do really like def leppard but i imagine it's probably because not a lot of people know or care who he is? Does anyone really care about phil collen even? i mean honestly i can't imagine sizeable numbers of people being huge fans or either steve or phil or either of them having any kind of real impact on the guitar scene?

Comment

Working...
                              X