Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In case you're thinking of a Dark Fire...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In case you're thinking of a Dark Fire...

Here's my take on the one I HAD - this is what I posted on the Gibson Dark Fire forum as well:

I picked mine up the other day and have spent a fair amount of time with it. And thanks to those of you that have been posting tips and tricks, it's been quite helpful.

Bottom line: this guitar should never have shipped out. QA just rushed it out the door, plain and simple.

It's too bad because I love the look, feel, and sound of the guitar.

1) The guitar doesn't actually stay in tune worth a darn. I have a light touch but bend a lot and this guitar goes out of tune *extremely* easy. I have owned a lot of guitars in my life and this one is one of the worst guitars I've owned in terms of staying in tune.

2) When the MCK knob is pulled out and pushed in there is a nasty pop.

3) When the MCK knob is out the guitar is obnoxiously noisy.

4) The guitar isn't silenced while tuning - who wants to hear a guitar being tuned? This is a terrible thing for a gigging guitar.

5) Chameleon tone doesn't work right. I select 'C', push down lightly to enter Chameleon mode, select a preset 'Funky', push down to return to play mode, voila I get 'Gibson'. If you press and hold the MCK and 'store' the setting and then press down it seems to work. This is way too cumbersome. Also, on several of the settings the neck pickup does not 'take' - IOW, it's the stock P-90 tone.

6) Piezo's don't work right using the split outs. When you switch the blend to the standard pickups it doesn't lower the output to the acoustic side - rather it just adds the standard pickups to the acoustic output.

7) Piezo's don't work intuitively - when I enable the piezo's via the 'I' position and then press the MCK down the piezo's shut off. Only if I switch over to the 'balloon' position and push the MCK down do the piezo's remain on.

8) One of the most maddening things is after I finally get a Chameleon tone settings semi-working, selecting an alternate tuning reverts the Chameleon tone back to 'Gibson'. Combine that with the fact that the guitar won't stay in tune and you have a real hassle.

9) The MCK switch doesn't work well at all - sometimes it is difficult to pull up and then pushes all the way down to easily.

10) The MCK design is fundamentally poor to begin with. I understand going out of your way to not have a lot of knobs on the guitar but operating this guitar is very cumbersome and not intuitive at all. A few extra controls wouldn't have been so horrible.

At this point I can't see keeping this guitar. I will return it and wait until later in 2009 when they've worked out the bugs.
    The amount of problems they are having with these is tragic. It is truly a remarkable guitar with a LOT of potential. Gibson screwed the pooch and launched it before they were ready.
    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Of course the Dark Fire fanboys proceeded to instruct me on how to tune a guitar and stretch strings. Sigh...
    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

That's a darn shame because they seem like such a nice piece of work.
      I like the PUP config and the ideas there are cool.
      Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

i didn't know the guitar, so i went to gibson and saw this.
        GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

WOW didn't hear about it until this post... this is one trully awesome guitar!!!
          '87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
          '81 Kramer Pacer Standard
          custom made Les Paul
          VOX Tonelab LE
          Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!
          ADA MP1
          BBE 422A
          Lexicon MPX-G2
          ADA Microtube 100

AFFA
          Support Your Local 81

Comment

Well Tim, you are the second guy I know that got one of these and then returned it. I was waiting to see how this would work out and it seems that it won't. It's too bad. Everything about the guitar sounds interesting, but only if it works.
            "Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves!"

Comment

dopes at Gibson blow it again

wow
              the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Some guy at the GC on 14th St tried to talk me into playing the one they had set up. I told him it was the ugliest guitar I had ever seen (a lie, I admit - though it's close; plus no wang bar).

Sorry to hear about the usability of it. I generally like weird stuff in guitars - I thought the Robot was pretty cool concept and I like the USB jack on that one LP.
                -------------------------
                Blank yo!

Comment

I just read your thread at the Dark Fire forum Tim, some of those guys are clueless...
                  "Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves!"

Comment

Originally posted by Gibson Propaganda Department
                    "Dark Fire has to be flawless. Period. Because there are so many software and hardware components and because we’d set the bar so high, we didn’t anticipate the amount of time it would take to go from “it works” to “it’s perfect.” And for you, our valued and respected customers, it must be perfect. Anything less, and it would not be a Gibson."
                    :ROTF:

What a bunch of maroons.

"Dear Dr. Bill,
                    I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

IMHO, Gibson needs to get the basics right before getting all fancy.

You know, actually crowning the frets, cutting the nut slots and stuff like that. I have a brand new SG3 that has very nice tone, but the fret work wouldn't make it out the door at whatever Indonesian factory Ibanez uses these days, and the nut is barely cut at all for the low E and A strings. They never did stuff like that even in the worst of the Norlin era. My '76 and '81 Les Pauls were flawless by comparison.

Comment

Thats funny Tim...that they thought YOU needed advice on tuning?? LOL
                        Gibson just seems to have lost their way this century... too bad
                        when you have $5K to spend, and the best way to spend it , is to get
                        an 80's LP! :-)

Comment

Working...
                        X