Fender MIM strats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender MIM strats

I'm looking for a semi cheap strat ( S S S configuration) and was considering getting a MIM strat. Ideally I'd like a MIA strat, but since I would be taking it out to friends houses etc.. I want something that I can dink up and not really care too much about. I played a couple this past weekend at GC and overall they felt like a pretty decent piece for under $400.00. I didn't plug it in so I can't comment on how the pickups sound (typical GC with wanna be Yngwie's all over the place) but the neck and action were pretty good for an off the wall piece. Any of you guys have newer MIM Strats, and if so what do you think of them? Thanks!

the mim strats that i have played have been pretty decent, the classic player ones especially the 50's neck is awesome
    Say, I smell bacon.Does anyone else smell bacon?
    Yeah, I definitely smell a pork product of some type.

Comment

I have a MIM Strat. It's been a great guitar. About the only thing I could really recommend would be a pickup change down the road, but other than that, no problems.
      Don

Comment

I found the best MIM strat, Duncans, black finish with mirrored pickguard, headstock was black and MIM on the back, only 21 frets

Comment

There is a sweet USA strat body with a Tokai strat-head neck for sale on chris' guitars that's around that price.

Looks like a nice one for what you are looking for.

"Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
          --floydkramer

Comment

They're good. I have two. I have an old one that I modded a bunch and a brand new one I bought at Christmas. I swear I can get the lowest action of any guitar I have with that thing and it sounds fairly good too.
            "Dear Dr. Bill,
            I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

I notice the newer ones are better- they have beefier frets and a bigger trem block. The bridge saddles have lower height adjustment screws that don't bug you when you palm mute and the necks have a satin finish. I load mine with 1 hum pickguards from Allparts, one has an f-spaced Tone Zone and the other has a JB, they both have maple necks and sound good. Find a used one and save a few bucks if you can, or go with the Fender Straight Six if you can find one.

Comment

Originally posted by triplehold View Post
                or go with the Fender Straight Six if you can find one.
                That's the new one I got. It's great!
                "Dear Dr. Bill,
                I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

i love mine. it is a true workhorse. back when i was using my PC-1's live, there were a couple of clubs that had lighting rigs WAY to big - the heat would mess with the necks and they wouldn't stay in tune very well. my MIM strat finished quite a few shows. i have often joked that if i went on tour again i'd leave the pricey USA jackson's at home and only bring the MIM strat - then i'd never have worry about a tempermental guitar ever again.....my soloists don't have the same problems as my PC-1s though
                  GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by triplehold View Post
                    I notice the newer ones are better- they have beefier frets and a bigger trem block. .

+ 1. Some of the earlier ones have small frets and a shorter
                    [7"?] radius fretboard, which may be a bummer if you're used
                    to a flat board and jumbo frets. Never had a MIM Strat, but I
                    do have a MIM Tele with the small frets and short radius. They
                    don't bother me, but YMMV...

Comment

After 06 they added bigger fretwire and a larger trem block.
                      Also, better shielding, in the cavity.
                      The Ceramic pickups are bright though.
                      Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm going to see if I can find a keeper either tomorrow or this weekend when I get some free time. I have a couple gift cards from GC which would put my out of pocket expense on a new MIM strat around the $300.00 mark if I can find a good one.

Comment

Hey- wheel and deal and haggle the heck out of those nitwits if you can. You've got the cash- the ball's in your court.

Comment

I looked at one for a few months before buying mine. They are just great value guitars, though I will say some play and are put together a bit better than others (none are just awful, but some do feel a little better). I think there is a reason though why they are kind of the standard for mid range guitars, and that is because they are fantastic values and are very well made instruments. Not to mention they are super easy and fairly cheap to mod.

Comment

I myself am looking for a classic series 50s (not the classic player). I liked it better than the american standard. $700 seems to be a bit too pricey for an import, so i'm looking for a used one
                              Just a guitar player...

Comment

Working...
                              X