Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another cheap banger has folowed me home.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another cheap banger has folowed me home.

I got this seventies Harmony strat copy from a friend for 10 bucks, It had been in his collection of a very long time and took off all of what was usuable from it and wanted to throw the body and neck away.

I asked him how much he wanted to have for it and he went "A tenner or else I'll bin them." So I took them home and went through my box of stuff and performed my magic.

The guitar has some issues, the plywood body had recieved many paintjobs and the latest (which, according to the guy I got it from, has been on it for over 20 years) is flaked and chipped which actually makes it look really cool. The Neck has a very bad bow and a broken trussrod, so I strung it up with heavy flatwound strings and tuned it in open E so I can use it for slide.

That's actually some pretty wood on that fret board.
    Too bad it's not just a stripped nut instead of a broken trussrod... would be an easy fix.
    Pretty damn cool for 10 bucks!
    "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
    --floydkramer

Comment

Fett, is that you?!? What have you done with Blazer?

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
        Fett, is that you?!? What have you done with Blazer?
        --floydkramer

Comment

nice 1 lol

Comment

over here in the states we have a technical term for that, it's called a "piece of shit"

sorry
            the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Hell skorb one of my fave playing guitars is a $100. POS Yeah I had to glue the fingerboard back on and fix the crack in the headstock, replace some neck binding and fill the body cavity with some insulation foam to keep it from the infernal feedback problem.
              But she rocks as good as the real deal.Its a 70's Cortez and has set neck.
              [/IMG]
              Last edited by straycat; 01-12-2009, 11:31 PM.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Blazer those are great necks you ought to fix the truss rod.Are you sure the rod is broken or just stripped threads at the end of it?
                FWIW I did install an RS upgrade kit in the Cheezy Paul and throw in a vintage DiMarzio Super "D" in the bridge but left the Gotoh super"D" copy in the neck and shes a ball breaker when it comes to big tone.
                Last edited by straycat; 01-12-2009, 11:39 PM.

Comment

I have a set-neck Electra X-220 with all the original electronics in 59 burst that is awesome and great tone for what it is. Also it couldn't be in better shape if it was 2 years old. it isn't a Paul, and the tuners could be a bit better, but its MIJ 70's Set-neck and it'll do the job (and with those gears) as long as you don't ask it to do it for too long.LOL.
                  Why the hell doesn't Eddie pick up a goddamned guitar and play something?

Current Junk:
                  98 ESP S'burst Tiger,(2) 85 Jackson Soloists (1 pink, 1 red and a white 85 Rhoads),08 Wayne,98 Blackmore, 91 375 Deluxe, 91 MM EVH Purple, 75 Ibanez Korina Destroyer,74 Strat, 78 JMP, 87 JCM800, (2) 80 Hamer Sunbursts, Peavey Vandenberg Custom Puzzle, 335, LPR8, 80 Dimarzio Explorer, 80 Dimarzio Strat, 84 Charvel, Nightswan, LPC Lite, old Baretta, etc. etc. +stuff. [sigpic=true][/sigpic]

Comment

Yeah I agree 85SD I had a set of old Klusen tuners I used on the Cortez and that fixed that problem.
                    I can play the snot out it now.

Comment

My 30 bucks SG knockoff is quite a cool and nice playing guitar, the Bigsby is a later fitted device though.

Let's hear it for cheap bangers people.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                        Hell skorb one of my fave playing guitars is a $100. POS Yeah I had to glue the fingerboard back on and fix the crack in the headstock, replace some neck binding and fill the body cavity with some insulation foam to keep it from the infernal feedback problem.
                        But she rocks as good as the real deal.Its a 70's Cortez and has set neck.
                        [/IMG]
                        That's pretty effin cool looking stray!
                        --floydkramer

Comment

Thanks spike.Yeah she's beater all right gotta love luan(Japanese whatever wood) and plywood guitars.
                          Some one stripped the maple veneer off the top (who knows why)and shot an airbrushed burst on top of the plywood.
                          Now after all the work I did on it I have a grand total of $125.00 in it.
                          Awesome playing and sounding guitar just looks like hell.
                          Found an old 70's Gibson L.P. case for $49.00 so she has a proper home.

Comment

I had a import plywood peavey predator that for some reason was just the balls.
                            More Stevie Ray in that thing than any strat I've ever owned... can't explain it.
                            I gave it to my sister-in-law, since she wanted to learn to play, so now it lives in sunny San Diego, CA.
                            Kept it in the family so I will get to play it again.
                            Some guitars just have the mojo!!!
                            --floydkramer

Comment

I can't explain it either some plywood guitars actualy sound good some sound like canned ass.You know what some "real" guitars fall in that catagory too.
                              Maybe the "tone fairy" sprinkled fairy dust on your Peavey.

Comment

Working...
                              X