MIM Fender Strats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MIM Fender Strats

Lately I've been having the hankering for a real Fender Strat.

Me being the cheapass that I am won't go for the US models right off the bat, but I do not want a Squier either.

That leads me to the question of how are the MIM Strats?

Is the difference between a US Strat and a MIM Start comparable to US J/C to MIJ J/C?

My absolute favorite guitars to date have been the Model series Charvels because the quality of those things was freakin UNREAL! I know that I can't really expect that level of craftsmanship from the MIM Strats, but I would like some honest opinions from those that have had/has them.

Thanks,
    Bill
    I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

I have two. One from '96 and one from late '08. The the older one is decent but my new one has a neck that I've found no other that it matches in comfort. It's a Straight Six Strat and is the Fender version of a Charvel. The craftsmanship is decent. Don't expect perfection but they are okay. My new one had a couple of sharp fret edges but nothing a file couldn't fix. Check for the levelness of the frets. My new one has one high fret but it only affects one or two notes and I'm getting it dealt with soon.

My old one has held up well. I've used it since I started playing four and a half years ago. Only one knick in the finish and the bridge held up well as well as the tuners. I changed out the pickups but that's personal preference.
    Last edited by Ben...; 01-25-2009, 08:30 PM.
    "Dear Dr. Bill,
    I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

you may want to check out a Fender made in Japan. Just like the Charvels as far as quality. do a little research about USA vs. Japan Fenders. E series seem to be the popular ones ...

http://instruments.shop.ebay.com/ite...86Q2ec0Q2em282
      ...that taste like tart, lemon yogart

Comment

If you find a MIJ 80's Squier don't pass it up they are dead on copies of the 60's strats and are as good too.
        I love mine its Lake Placid blue turned green with age killer player
        [/IMG]
        Last edited by straycat; 01-25-2009, 10:26 PM.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Holy that turned green. The LPB on my old Strat is still super blue.
          "Dear Dr. Bill,
          I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

Yeah its green as a gourd, under the neck plate its still blue.I had to clean gobs of nicotine off it so the neck is stained as well even has a burned spot on the headstock which just makes it cool IMO
            The thing I don't like about the new MIM Fenders they use up to 9 pieces of wood to make the bodies which makes me afraid of getting a dud tone wise.
            Last edited by straycat; 01-26-2009, 01:26 AM.

Comment

+1 on the 80's MIJ Squiers, I have one that same color. My uncle was the original owner and it gets to come "live with me" indefinitely. Not big on single coils but this thing plays like a million bucks. I'll post some pics tomorrow.
              I still keep practicing though.... Mostly because I hate my neighbors.-MakeAJazzNoiseHere

Comment

I installed an RS upgrade kit in mine took the tone off the middle pickup and moved it to the bridge pickup much better having tone control on the bridge you can fatten it up.

Comment

I wanted to snag one of those Tom Delonge strats because of the hardtail bridge, big headstock, and cool colors (no I'm not a Blink 182 fanboi ). I would have had it rerouted for a normal pickguard, though. Never did materialize, I went the Musikraft route to ease my hardtail strat GAS. In general I find the frets and bridges on the MIM strats to be kind of sharp on the hand. Watch out for that!

Comment

Funny as it sounds some of the made in China strats I mean the higher end ones are better that the MIM standard strats as far as workmanship.Bodies are 2-3 piece and I can live with that.
                    Played a 2 tone burst MIC strat and it was a really nice playing guitar.
                    It wasn't the quality of the 80's Japan strats by a long shot.I have turned down $650.00 for mine its just to good a guitar to let go.
                    I did like the TD strats for the same reasons just never bought one.
                    Last edited by straycat; 01-26-2009, 01:34 AM.

Comment

+1 on the MIJ. I had to get my money back because of the really bad frets but I bought one that had a non locking floyd and the neck shape was great and the quality was very good. I ended up with a old korean one for $127 that isn't too either.

Comment

Well I bit the bullet and snatched one up for a little less than a fortune LOL
                        Behold

I don't kow what to expect but for the price I wasn't gonna pass it up (I know it's not MIM but what the hell).

The price kinda brings back memories of Fett's grabs LOL.
                        Last edited by bombtek; 01-27-2009, 05:45 PM.
                        I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

That looks like a nice one. I think the ones with the gold labels are nicer than the ones with just black. At that price you can mod the heck out of it without breaking the bank.

Comment

Nice Color. I bet this one came from the samick factory.

Comment

Working...
                            X