Gibson Flying V

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is one sweet V.
    With those options, it just looks classy.
    I like the cherry best, so I think you made the right choice.
    Currently at 78 guitars - Paul Reed Smith, Jackson, Robin, Washburn, Carvin, Peavey, U.S. Masters, G&L, Hamer, Godin, BC Rich, Yamaha, Fender, ESP, Kramer, Cort, Ibanez, Aria Pro & Charvel
    Pics:http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/mr.rs/pictures/gear

Comment

very very nice
      the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Albert King makes that thing look like a toy - look at those hands!
        -------------------------
        Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
          Albert King makes that thing look like a toy - look at those hands!
          Yeah the "Velvet Bulldozer" was a BIG man.
          Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

With an equally big sound.

Comment

Originally posted by Tonelover View Post
            It's been a drag waiting for it, we actually did the deal weeks ago but 12fret won't ship until the weather warms up. Apparently the nitrocellulose finish that Gibson uses is extremely susceptible to checking and they don't want it outside in frigid temperatures. Supposedly if you get one really cold and then open it up in a warm room without letting it acclimate lines can run across the finish right before your eyes. This week's weather is going to be mild and I think its shipping out today.
            Better safe than sorry. Especially on such a nice guitar.
            "Dear Dr. Bill,
            I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

I gotta be honest, I appreciate the history and all, but these guitars dont have the sex appeal to me. They look a little hodge podged in the aesthetics dept. The input jack cover is just all wrong. The string plate that the strings pass through is just way too big and fights for position on the face of the guitar with the pick guard. They have captured the era for the instrument very well but looks un planned to me. Just an opinion.......
              Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
              http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

According to my info, which is vast and all knowing, this particular model was loosely based on the 1971 Les Paul Custom V. There was only one of these guitars built and I sure as fuck wish I was the owner. Anyway, this new V seems to have borrowed not only from the '71, but various other models as well.

Don't get me wrong, I love the guitar you just bought, but I'm kinda with Mike on this. It's not really true to the '71 Les Paul Custom V design. But you know what, enjoy the fuck out of it! You have a great guitar and a real show stopper!
                "POOP"

Comment

I never knew Albert King played his guitars strung righty? Am I seeing that correctly?

I saw a guy in Sam Ash a couple years ago playing a guitar that way and he was awesome. I also see a local bass player, Paul (FirebirdV knows the guy) that was playing in Joe Lynn Turner's band playing his bass that way. Lefty, but strung as if it were righty.
                  Scott
                  Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by StukaJU87 View Post
                    I never knew Albert King played his guitars strung righty? Am I seeing that correctly?
                    Yup.

King played his Flying V's strung upside-down and in a strange open D minor tuning

Originally posted by StukaJU87 View Post
                    I saw a guy in Sam Ash a couple years ago playing a guitar that way and he was awesome. I also see a local bass player, Paul (FirebirdV knows the guy) that was playing in Joe Lynn Turner's band playing his bass that way. Lefty, but strung as if it were righty.
                    Other players that play that way are Eric Gales and his bassplaying brother Eugene.

Doyle Bramhall Junior

And of course Dick Dale.

Comment

It's cool, I appreciate different viewpoints so I can learn as much about my stuff as possible. However, these are modeled after the original 1958 Flying V as a platform, not the 1971 or any other year. Here's a '58, obviously there are still differences.

Originally posted by SEEGERMANY View Post
                      According to my info, which is vast and all knowing, this particular model was loosely based on the 1971 Les Paul Custom V. There was only one of these guitars built and I sure as fuck wish I was the owner. Anyway, this new V seems to have borrowed not only from the '71, but various other models as well.

Don't get me wrong, I love the guitar you just bought, but I'm kinda with Mike on this. It's not really true to the '71 Les Paul Custom V design. But you know what, enjoy the fuck out of it! You have a great guitar and a real show stopper!

Comment

Nice buy.

I almost got one of those "Brimstone" V's a few months ago but I went in and a/b'd it with my rr5 and I honestly thought the 5 sounded better.

Comment

You know V-man approves!

Just plunked down for this! http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Division...rativeFlyingV/
                          '02 Jackson KV2
                          '92 Jackson Rhoads PCS
                          '92 Jackson Rhoads Tribute

Comment

I love that white one! The cherry would be my second choice as well. My only gripe is the input cover. I would rather it was circular like the 58's. That's just a nit pick on my part though. Congrats on a great looking axe, I hope it plays as cool as it looks!
                            "Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves!"

Comment

Yes, like I stated, it's a mixture of several models. However, the only "Les Paul Custom V" was built in 1971, complete with big block inlays and body binding. It was the Rolls Royce of flying Vs. There is nothing "Les Paul" about the 1958 model. Sorry, that's just the facts. Your guitar should have been named The Gibson 1958 Les Paul '71 Custom Flying V Reissue Heritage Limited Edition.
                              "POOP"

Comment

That's a sweet guitar. I've been after one for a while, since they put them into production in 2002 or so. I think they only make a handful per year 10-20...something like that. Pure class!

Back a year or so, I went to buck up for one and ended up with a Zakk V....gotta have that floyd!
                                Last edited by Eddie_van_trailerpark; 02-10-2009, 12:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X