Les Paul Standard Faded

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Les Paul Standard Faded

I got a LP standard faded a couple of weeks ago in trade. It's a 2005, so it's not chambered and has some heft, which makes it sound pretty good. My problem is I don't really like the color too much - cherry sunburst. This leaves me with 2 options, sell her or refinish her. If I do a refinish, I'm kind of undecided on a top finish only or a full refinish. If I sell her, I'm not sure what I would replace her with.

Kinda babbling and trying to decide what to do. Here are some pictures - what would you do?

That's a pretty classic look.

If it plays great and you really want an LP you might lean toward a refinish if you want to deal with that process.

Personally, I'd probably try and turn it into something else though. Somebody will want that as is.
    Jackson KV2
    Jackson KE1T
    Jackson KE1F
    Jackson SL1

Comment

Originally posted by lhrocker View Post
      what would you do?
      Trade it for my KV2, of course. Killer looking LP, Pete.
      Scott
      Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

She's a beauty as is...Sell her and get what you want....
        www.JerryRobison.com
        '84 RR, '06 Pablo Santana Soloist,'76 Gibson LP Custom 3 pup,'79 LP custom 2 pup,'82 Gibson XR-1,'89 BC Rich Namm proto, '07 Lauher custom, 86 & 87 model 6, Carol-Ann Amplifiers, Marshall amps, Keeley pedals....it's a long list. Check out my site.

Comment

If it's only the finish I would go looking or another LP, you would probably get a good deal on an ebony as the bursts tend to be more desirable.

Does stringing the bridge that way make any difference???, always thought about doing that but as I rest my hand there thought it might be a bit uncomfy??

Comment

Its got pretty red strings too.
            Jackson KV2
            Jackson KE1T
            Jackson KE1F
            Jackson SL1

Comment

Yeah, that's pretty nice as is methinks.
              Keep looking.
              My 2 cents.
              "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
              --floydkramer

Comment

I wish I owned something you'd take in trade. Refinishing that beauty would be a crime worthy of de-nutting with a butter knife!

Let me know what you're looking for and maybe I can solve your problems.

P.S. Why doesn't it say STANDARD on the truss rod cover?
                "POOP"

Comment

Originally posted by SEEGERMANY View Post
                  Refinishing that beauty would be a crime worthy of de-nutting with a butter knife!
                  They kind of did that on an episode of Bizarre Foods on the Travel Channel to a Steer - ouch...

Standards haven't had a Standard TR cover since the early 90's, I think.

Comment

My 2000 Raw Power Standard has it. Who knows, we're talking about Gibson after all.
                    "POOP"

Comment

leave it and get whatcha want. i think it's kickass.

sully
                      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                      Sully Guitars on Facebook
                      Sully Guitars on Google+
                      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Alright listen up- top wrap some real strings on that baby, take off the pickguard, take the cover off the neck pickup and adjust the pole pieces and pickup height properly. Angle the slotted pole pieces like this- \ / \ / \ /. Straighten up, level up and tighten up your toggle switch. Set the action up nice and low with no buzzing and enough string height so you can do some mean bends. Intonate it accurately and make sure all the screws on the tuners, strap buttons and back cover plates are tight. Tighten up the output jack and replace the cheap plastic jackplate with a metal one. The color and top are killer and the plain truss rod cover is classy, your axe has a very desirable look. Then play the heck out of it- plugged in, unplugged, early, late or anytime as much as you can. If you still don't like it, go to Jersey and trade it for the white KV2. You can't go wrong either way.

Comment

Pete,

Many people have finished and refinished these on the LPF and they turned out great. I'm sure you could do the same.

My issue is with the top. Bar-B-Que grill flametops aren't my thing. I go for a more traditional ribbon curl.

If this is an axe you can live with, go for the fin/refin. BTW, when I say "finish", I mean you just need to go to Home Depot and buy a few cans of Deft nitro and finish the job Gibson started.

I've seen good refins as well, where the person stripped and reshot the color coats.

Comment

Originally posted by Gartron View Post
                            Does stringing the bridge that way make any difference???, always thought about doing that but as I rest my hand there thought it might be a bit uncomfy??
                            Yep. It does. Means you can get the stop piece right down to the body which helps sustain a little (better coupling with the body cos the posts are all the way in, if you get me), yet the break angle on the saddles is less; which makes bends easier.

I actually find it more comfortable!

Comment

Here are some pictures - what would you do?
                              hmmm,I would sell it.
                              ...to me of course
                              PM me with a price

Comment

Working...
                              X