Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well I've been to the Vintage Fair in Veenendaal today and here's my loot.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well I've been to the Vintage Fair in Veenendaal today and here's my loot.

First up, is a brand spanking new Gibson Melody maker, call it Gibson's esquire, it has a mean twang and is an honest to god guitar, although with me being rather fond of proper intonation on my guitars I did buy a Leo Quann Badass bridge too to install on this one.

Second up is a "Slightly modified" Japanese made copy of a Gibson SG which has three Dimarzio dual sound pickups with a phase switch for every single one of them and two three way switches so one can combine the pickups in every way imaginable. This one has the wrong bridge however and I'm planning to put on a Washburn Cram whammy bar at some point. It also has a Gibson style set in neck and that's about it...
    Oh yeah, it also has received a rather spacey paint job.

And last is a rather unfortunate victim of eighties "let's make it look metal" ethic. Believe it or not but this WAS an early seventies Ibanez Les Paul Custom copy with the lawsuit "open book" headstock. It has three dimarzio pickups and again was fitted with "Everything-and-the-kitchen-sink" switching options. But for 75 Euro's I don't consider it a bad deal, there's a lot of usable parts on this one.

That LP is unfortunate.... Those pickups are slightly picasso'd
    Its all fun and games till you get yogurt in your eye.; -AK47
    Guitar is my first love, metal my second (wife...ehh she's in there somewhere). -Partial @ Marshall

Comment

Well I removed that Junk from the Ibanez' top revealing THIS.

As you can see it had a couple of home applied (rattle can) re-finishes which also covered the body bindings. Also, as I suspected, the middle pickup is not original and the hole is rather crudely made.

Now if I were crazy...

Nah, I'm gonna fix this puppy up properly.

Comment

i actually like the last one must be something wrong with me
        Say, I smell bacon.Does anyone else smell bacon?
        Yeah, I definitely smell a pork product of some type.

Comment

Thanks for sharing those pics...cool guitars! Lots of promise on that
          Ibby LP!

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Burns View Post
            Thanks for sharing those pics...cool guitars! Lots of promise on that
            Ibby LP!
            I already started sanding the top and back of the guitar and so far I found four colors turning up and the original body binding is appearing to be in good shape. I already took it to the guy who will do the painting and he told me that getting this Ibanez look right again won't be a problem.

I also decided to close up that crudely made middle pickup hole and return this Lester into being a two pickup guitar. If all goes well I'll be able to sell the fully restored guitar for almost ten times the amount of money I paid for it.

Comment

Today I started the stripping.

You guys wouldn't believe me if I tell you that I came across four colors, note also that there's no Mahogany anywhere to be found...

There's some of the original finish still left within the cutaway, the previous owner apparently couldn't remove it from that spot.

The previous owner glued in the neck using two component resin, the same stuff used to restore cars with, as a result it sat way too high in the pocket, but chopping away that junk rectified that.

Nice snug join, just as intended.

Next on the agenda: fill that middle rout and the holes where the mini toggles sat and bring the guitar body away to have it professionally finished in black.

You know, I bought this guitar at the stand of a shop in Amsterdam, I'm seriously thinking of bringing it back to the shop after the Restoration is complete, I wonder if they would recognize it.

Comment

lose the neck plate - pm me your shipping address and i'll send you some neck ferrules.
                I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by Blazer View Post
                  Today I started the stripping.

You guys wouldn't believe me if I tell you that I came across four colors, note also that there's no Mahogany anywhere to be found...

There's some of the original finish still left within the cutaway, the previous owner apparently couldn't remove it from that spot.

The previous owner glued in the neck using two component resin, the same stuff used to restore cars with, as a result it sat way too high in the pocket, but chopping away that junk rectified that.

Nice snug join, just as intended.

Next on the agenda: fill that middle rout and the holes where the mini toggles sat and bring the guitar body away to have it professionally finished in black.

You know, I bought this guitar at the stand of a shop in Amsterdam, I'm seriously thinking of bringing it back to the shop after the Restoration is complete, I wonder if they would recognize it.
                  Do it, LOL

Comment

Working...
                  X