Fender "Road Worn" guitars - a bit of a rant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender "Road Worn" guitars - a bit of a rant

I've personally never been a fan of vintage instruments, or at least not to the point of paying insane money for them, but I don't mean any disrespect to any of you who are heavily into vintage gear. I could also see someone wanting either an instrument that holds good memories for them or one they just couldn't access in years gone by. Sentimentality is a hard thing to define or criticize, so I won't go there.

But these "Road Worn" guitars are, in my opinion, a total joke! "Step right up, folks, and get your instant mojo, made in China!!!" (or wherever they're made). Gibson and Fender, like many guitar companies, have always lived off of inertia and their good history and the same could be said about Marshall. But do they not realize that it was their innovation decades ago that put them on the map, not living in the past?
    Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Well... Relic'd guitars are here. Whether or not they'll stay for another 10-15 years remains to be seen. Personally, I don't think I would every buy a relic'd guitar, but I have beaten the crap out of the new Warmoth body I got for my strat to give it a relic feel... so I guess I'm guilty.

My problem with the Roadworn series is that they really are a good example of "budget relicing." They look like someone took a belt sander to them (the LTD Lynch strat, too) - they don't look "roadworn" at all - they look like a $2 hr employee rubbed it with some sandpaper and a sharp chisel.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
      Well... Relic'd guitars are here. Whether or not they'll stay for another 10-15 years remains to be seen. Personally, I don't think I would every buy a relic'd guitar, but I have beaten the crap out of the new Warmoth body I got for my strat to give it a relic feel... so I guess I'm guilty.

My problem with the Roadworn series is that they really are a good example of "budget relicing." They look like someone took a belt sander to them (the LTD Lynch strat, too) - they don't look "roadworn" at all - they look like a $2 hr employee rubbed it with some sandpaper and a sharp chisel.
      They probably did

I played a neat Gibson today that was road worn, and I could care less if it was new, but if something's road worn they can't add an extra price on it imo.

Also, guitars that are made strictly for road worn looks should be done well, like the EVH Frankenstrat or YJM's Strat relics. As for Grandturk, the ESP George Lynch's guitars were based off of his personal strat, so I dunno.

Comment

:ROTF:why waste more money on a guitar for sum other guy to put sum scratchess on your guitar i can do that myself lol for free

Comment

Originally posted by MetalHeadMat View Post
          Also, guitars that are made strictly for road worn looks should be done well, like the EVH Frankenstrat or YJM's Strat relics. As for Grandturk, the ESP George Lynch's guitars were based off of his personal strat, so I dunno.
          I said the "LTD" version - that retails for $400 or so and looked like it. Look if you want a quality relic job, you're going to pay Custom Shop prices, as in $2500 and up if not way more (I'm not sure about the cost of the ESP Lynch strat - I think its about $2k because the regular ESP Vintage Series are about $1500). To expect to get a quality relic job on a cheap import Fender, I think you're fooling yourself.
          Blank yo!

Comment

I said the "LTD" version - that retails for $400 or so and looked like it. Look if you want a quality relic job, you're going to pay Custom Shop prices, as in $2500 and up if not way more (I'm not sure about the cost of the ESP Lynch strat - I think its about $2k because the regular ESP Vintage Series are about $1500). To expect to get a quality relic job on a cheap import Fender, I think you're fooling yourself.
            Oh you're right, I just checked the ESP site and holy crap there's a huge difference in the look, don't think anyone else would get that either...

Also the YJM and Frankenstrats aren't cheap, not the road worn series anyways.

Comment

OK ok I get the attraction to the relic thing. I mean, almost every famous guitarist plays a beat-up guitar, so...that's what the peeps want to play as well. However, I will say that guitars that used to go to the "scratch and dent" or "blem" departments for a discount now go to the "relicing" department for a bit more abuse and an upcharge! It's brilliant marketing.

Comment

Cheeze

I'm one who thinks the 'road worn' treatment is pretty cheezy. I've never been a Fender boy but I recently picked up this pre-CBS (1983) vintage '57 re-issue for $400. This is the first USA Fender Strat I've ever owned and I'm already hooked. This one was originally 'Olympic White'.

This is what natural wear & tear looks like on a Fender!!

I Love the vintage vibe and am going to carefully put it back together. To me it looks much older than it's 26 years.

Last edited by Hellraiser6502; 03-28-2009, 09:26 PM.
                Kahler...Killing guitar values DEAD since 1981.

Comment

Damn, that is one wicked looking Strat - especially the scalloped neck - and it even has the small headstock! (I'm not a fan of the large headstock that they put on the Yngwie Strats). I just love it. If you ever decide to sell it, PLEASE put me first on your list.

Comment

I don't understand the relic thing on Fenders because the originals were Fullerplast sealed under the colorcoat. So, none of the CS relics or any "pure nitro" relic is going to be accurate to the old ones. I think the MIM road worns are supposed to be nitro?

I can appreciate a worn in neck, but the beat to shit bodies mystify me.
                    Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellraiser6502 View Post
                      I'm one who thinks the 'road worn' treatment is pretty cheezy. I've never been a Fender boy but I recently picked up this pre-CBS (1983) vintage '57 re-issue for $400.
                      Pre-CBS would put it as pre-1965... But you might have one of the first early 80's reissues.
                      Blank yo!

Comment

Yep

Pre-CBS would put it as pre-1965... But you might have one of the first early 80's reissues.
                        Ooops.

Just illustrates how little I know about Fenders!

OK so maybe it's one of the last Fullerton-built guitars??

The butt of the neck reads 1-13-83 and the neckplate serial is V004xxx
                        Last edited by Hellraiser6502; 03-29-2009, 12:23 AM.
                        Kahler...Killing guitar values DEAD since 1981.

Comment

The vintage Fender stuff you find on the cheap may be a parts guitar.Thats a nice well worn strat and you got a good deal for sure the neck is worth that.
                          I myself would buy an RSguitarworks Old friend strat if I was wanting a real looking relic'd guitar.Lots cheaper price than a new Fender or vintage Fender, better guitar too.
                          RS's relicing is by far the best in the business.I'm not saying that because they are friends of mine but their roster of artist that have their guitars says something about their quality.rsguitarworks.net
                          I have played the new "road worn"strats and tele's and to be honest they aren't worth anywhere near the money they are asking for them.All the relic marks are in the same place on eery guitar very cheezy looking IMO.
                          Last edited by straycat; 03-29-2009, 01:50 AM.
                          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                            I have played the new "road worn"strats and tele's and to be honest they aren't worth anywhere near the money they are asking for them.All the relic marks are in the same place on eery guitar very cheezy looking IMO.
                            Agreed. I played a few of these - strats and teles. At $1K, they just don't have any vibe to them - they felt dead. Basically, these are up-priced MIM reissues. When the MIM reissues were down around $450 a few years ago, they were pretty good deals, but I don't think they stand up at a higher price (at least to me). And with the extra money for the relicing, they're definately not worth it (to me).

Edit - wow, I just checked the prices on the MIM "classic" series - 850 - 1100 for these. Crazy.
                            Last edited by Grandturk; 03-29-2009, 02:34 AM.
                            Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by PowerTube View Post
                              I've personally never been a fan of vintage instruments, or at least not to the point of paying insane money for them, but I don't mean any disrespect to any of you who are heavily into vintage gear. I could also see someone wanting either an instrument that holds good memories for them or one they just couldn't access in years gone by. Sentimentality is a hard thing to define or criticize, so I won't go there.

But these "Road Worn" guitars are, in my opinion, a total joke! "Step right up, folks, and get your instant mojo, made in China!!!" (or wherever they're made). Gibson and Fender, like many guitar companies, have always lived off of inertia and their good history and the same could be said about Marshall. But do they not realize that it was their innovation decades ago that put them on the map, not living in the past?

ummm... that would be Mexico!
                              Shibs

Two Reasons Why It's So Hard To Solve A Redneck Murder:

1. The DNA all matches.

2. There are no dental records.

Comment

Working...
                              X